Television's Evolution -- Is 56 the New 42? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 10-16-2012, 04:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Have you ever wondered how TV became such a staple in our lives? The analysis gurus over at the NPD Group reviewed television's evolution to highlight the major milestones. So have a look at this really interesting infographic that showcases the long road from small black-and-white boxes to crystal-clear big screens of today.

Click HERE to enlarge!

Pretty cool, huh?

[Source]

Get all your A/V news at: AVS Latest News
Like AVS Forum on Facebook
Follow AVS Forums on Twitter
Wanna join the AVS Forum news staff? Contact me!
.......................................................................................
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 10-16-2012, 05:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 567 Post(s)
Liked: 871
Send a message via Skype™ to popalock
Cool indeed.

Just took a head count of all the TV's in my house.

8 TV's. Smallest of which is 32".

Is that normal?
post #3 of 10 Old 10-16-2012, 06:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 48
smallest in my house is a 9" tv/vcr combo i use to watch the weather channel when im getting ready for work, largest is 37"

it is pretty cool when i watch older tv shows(or shows that take place in the 60s and 70s) when people make a big deal that they have a 17" tv and call it big screen

pcm=potato
bitstream=patato
post #4 of 10 Old 10-16-2012, 07:42 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 17
I have 3 TVs: 13", 32" and 50". Though I use computer monitors as TVs, too. So if I include all those, it's 8.

Get all your A/V news at: AVS Latest News
Like AVS Forum on Facebook
Follow AVS Forums on Twitter
Wanna join the AVS Forum news staff? Contact me!
.......................................................................................
post #5 of 10 Old 10-16-2012, 08:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 567 Post(s)
Liked: 871
Send a message via Skype™ to popalock
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeddyP View Post

I have 3 TVs: 13", 32" and 50". Though I use computer monitors as TVs, too. So if I include all those, it's 8.

Yeah, I included my computer monitor as well... But it's my old 52" Samsung LCD I used to have in my living room...

smile.gif
post #6 of 10 Old 10-17-2012, 02:01 AM

Liked: 10
Beta and VCR facilitate home viewing of movies? Do they mean Beta and VHS? Blu-ray technology introduced in the 90s? Isn't that a bit early? Also stating LED, LCD and Plasma as the three tv screen options is a bit confusing since LED is just a form of backlighting for LCD. Other than that it was a nice way of representing the development.
post #7 of 10 Old 10-17-2012, 06:35 PM

I've got one 32", one, 40", and one 55"... that's beginning to seem like a low count in this group! ;-)
post #8 of 10 Old 10-17-2012, 07:53 PM

There should be a poll here somewhere...

We have two 27" CRTs and 1 13" CRT.
Not upgrading to flat panel until something dies. wink.gif
post #9 of 10 Old 10-17-2012, 08:05 PM

Well, im from Brazil, and of course we here have some very different way of living.
That chart would be a little different, and nowadays, 20~29" CRT are still a present, but 32" lcds are quite common, and 37, 40 and 42 are really getting more and more common, saving the 46"+ for the ones that have money to spend on them.

I wont respond tomorrow, mandatory army time really @#$%ed me up this year. (happily, february 2013 is near, hooray!biggrin.gif)
Big Wall'o Text Ahead: Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Its really surprising to read some stuff, as on the other topic about turning woofers off when not using, like spending 250 bucks for energy bills.

Of course it all comes down to the economy, and that does not help us here, mainly when it comes to electronics... our official release of the PS3 console still costs around ~US 738,00 and of course many of us buy imported ones, which costs less than half for a better version, like higher HDD space (no warranty however).

That, unfortunately, applies to everything you can think of, and when it comes to new technology, its not only the price that prevents most of us from buying "them", but also the lack of reasons to; what is that you may ask, but when I say that, I mean that we consumers, do not have things to use full features of those things.

At home, I got a 42" in the main room (LG-42LD840) and some months ago I got a (LG-42LM6200) for my room. The last one is a 3D television, but the movies arent that appealing when it comes to price, and paying so much for a bluray that we're going to watch once, twice, and its going to get dusty over time, as no one besides you own a 3d tv or even a bluray player. Guess what? DVD is only now, something that I bet, at least 70% of the people who own a tv have... Oh well, dont like but I have to admit it, piracy is something "normal" here. Not allowed of course, but you can buy 5 dvd pirated movies for around 5 bucks. And those ARENT EVEN DVD RIPS, they're most cam releases and stuff, AND THATS MY WHOLE POINT!

People are now getting used to new technology, but they are most just satisfied with screen size... gues what? they buy 40+ inch televisions TO WATCH ANALOG SIGNAL! and they just dont care!! I dont blame them, they do not care, because they do not know, and thats a cultural issue that wont be changed in few years. It is a little hard to find someone like me that cares for quality and try to enhance their own entertainment, that is, to use what was paid for.

Internet service is one of the worst in all the world, that really makes it stupid to play games online, because not only you get a bad experience, but you are disturbing other players fun in the process.

Well, when it comes to Home Theaters, it is even worse. I know NONE, friends, friends from friends from friends...that own a home theater. Lie, I know one, but its a 2.1 (...) and he just leaves the 2 "satelites" together, above the player itself (?).

Oh well, I know by the forums that many build houses already thinking of a dedicated "theater-like" room, that is so amazing, but wont be but a dream 'till i get successful, which I hope I do, sometime.

Tv Calibration? Tried indeed, but couldnt get good results, or maybe I got, I dont even know what to look for (final image) when doing it, and for that I gave up ATM.

Well, thanks for reading so far, just getting things off my mind because it pisses me off sometimes.

You guys will for sure help me when I start to "install" a home theather in my room. Also, choosing which to buy, what to look for and stuff, but I do not have funds for that this year.
post #10 of 10 Old 10-19-2012, 01:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 35
55", 60", 60", 70"...... average 61.25" biggrin.gif

My ArgyllCMS/MadVR 3DLUT Creation Workflow
My Sharp Elite Movie THX AV Mode Settings
--Aug 2011 Set, 2.2 gamma [ link ]
--Nov 2012 Set, 2.2 gamma [ link ]
Reply Latest Industry News