Unmonday 4.3L Wireless Speaker Aims to Innovate Surround Sound - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 10-17-2012, 08:23 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
The Kickstarter-funded Finnish audio manufacturer Unmonday brings their Unmonday 4.3L wireless speaker. What makes this speak unique (besides its design)? Simply turn the hexagonal speaker onto any one of its six sides and a motion sensor switches the speaker's role in a surround system.

Quote:
We’ve covered so many AirPlay enabled speakers recently that it’s nice to see a new — albeit rather quirky — take on wireless sound. A product of Finnish audio manufacturer Unmonday, the Unmonday 4.3L Dolby Surround Sound Speaker got its start – as many unique ideas do – on Kickstarter.

And when we say this speaker is unique, we mean it. Let’s start with the fact that that it’s housed in a ceramic enclosure, touch on the fact that it’s button-less and end with the fact that you roll the hexagonal speaker to change the audio channel. As you may have guessed, there are six distinct settings. You can use either the right, left, rear-right, rear-left, or center speaker as your primary, or, switch to mono mode.

The Unmonday 4.3L’s five speakers get their bearings via a built-in motion sensor, and each features an Alpair 10 full-range driver. This product was clearly built with to be fun, uninhibited, and generally the opposite of everything Monday, hence the name. It’s also built to be durable, hence its curious ceramic shell – porcelain shell to be more specific. All kidding not aside, it’s nice to see porcelain getting some love from outside the doll & china manufacturing communities. the Unmonday 4.3L is available for pre-order $499 at www.kickstarter.com until Thursday, November 8th, 2012.

I think the concept is solid, I just wonder how they sound.

[Source]

Get all your A/V news at: AVS Latest News
Like AVS Forum on Facebook
Follow AVS Forums on Twitter
Wanna join the AVS Forum news staff? Contact me!
.......................................................................................
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-17-2012, 10:53 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 35
I'd expect they sound very good... the Mark Audio drivers have a fairly loyal following on diyaudio for those that prefer full range drivers... my worry would be the ability to reach reference levels for home theater with sufficient battery life to last through a long movie. They state 'up to 10 hours' of battery life, but I'm guessing that is at low volume levels and optimistic at that. No big loss for HT I guess, as the alternative is... wired speakers, but I suspect the target market is those wanting the minimalist look, and power cords are tougher to hide than speaker wires... much less tougher to run.

I think sound quality at modest levels would be excellent, and would blend very well with a sub crossed at 80 Hz... the problem is how many people willing to spend $2.5K on a 5-speaker set are willing to 'settle' for 5.1 surround? Nice idea, likely very nice sounding, but I suspect the market is pretty small at that price. Get them down to $200 per speaker and that might change.

"A wide screen just makes a bad film twice as bad. "
-Samuel Goldwyn

I wonder what he'd think about 3D IMAX?