LiivNAS Media NAS Preview - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 10-18-2012, 07:05 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Storing and streaming your media is easy and flexible with this little network monster.

Quote:
The Vidabox LiivNAS (we're pronouncing that live-Nas) has a number of interesting features. First, it is relatively small. At 9.45" wide, 8.84" deep, and 4.23" tall (with feet), it won't take up much space in your rack. At just over eight pounds, it won't be hard to install either. Internally, you have access to two terabytes of storage thought that can be easily expanded with an external storage serves (like Vidabox's RackServerV2). This allows your movie/media storage to be virtually unlimited.

That's going to be important as the LiivNAS is designed with the power user in mind. With "Drop-n-Rip" functionality, the LiivNAS allows you to load Blu-rays, DVDs, and CDs (unencrypted of course) simply by inserting the disc. The content is stored lossless and metadata is automatically applied to your content. For universal DVD/CD playback, the LiivNAS offers DualRip technology which stores your content in both lossless and a second copy in MP3/MPEG for easy streaming to all devices.

How about compatibility?
Quote:
The Vidabox LiivNAS is compatible with Dune HD for streaming 1080p HD video and up to 7.1 HD surround sound over a single CAT cable. The Vidabox allows up to 10 streams of Blu-ray, DVD, video, photo, or other content simultaneously! That's a pretty impressive feat for a single box.

The Vidabox LiivNAS is SONOS and Control4 compatible. You'll need to install an extra driver but it will give you advanced 2-way control over your LiivNAS and SONOS products.

Pretty epic for those who can truly utilize it. Still cool smile.gif

Get all your A/V news at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Like AVS Forum on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow AVS Forums on

Wanna join the AVS Forum news staff?
.......................................................................................
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 10-19-2012, 06:09 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I really like this, especially the built in rip/converting software and streamlined media streaming. Anyone can grab a Wesena ITX6 case, toss a slim BD-ROM drive, 2TB HDD, toss a mini-ITX board in, and call it a full HTPC/NAS box package, but the addition of custom software to simplify the media serving process really opens it up to the vast population of tech savvy and non-savvy alike that just don't want to have to deal with all of the forum hunting and custom configuring involved in figuring out a digital library that works for their needs. A battle I struggle with everytime I am consulting with a friend or family member that wants something more than a Roku or Apple TV but don't want to become a full fledged HTPC videophile just to stream their kids Disney movies without hassle.

Things they could possibly adjust:

The PRICE! $1349!?!
We both know that that price should be half to be competitive with home built versions. I know that this would be competing with premium SFF HTPC's with the benifit of no software setup, but pricing it at almost triple the price of the individual parts is a bit of a stretch.
I would argue that at the $675-$800 price range, this product would clean up.

The lack of any Ceton InfiniTV4 capable solution seems like a waste, why offer the Wesena ITX6 if not to utilize the available expansion slot?

Just my .02
post #3 of 3 Old 10-21-2012, 04:22 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19
"With Drop N Rip functionality, the LiiveNAS allows you to load Blue-rays, dvds, and CDs (unencrypted, of course)., simply by inserting the disc."

So how are you supposed to rip an encrypted disc, with the LiivNAS, then? It's kind of worthless to me if I can't make a backup copy of a disc I own, and I assume that most commercially available discs are encrypted these days...

Fine Music, Movies, Wine, and Friends - A Life Well Lived!
Reply Latest Industry News

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page