Hand-on with Hisense Pulse Google TV Box - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 10-18-2012, 11:23 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Hisense's Pulse Google TV box comes with a smart TV interface that's clean, slick, and very usable for everything from live TV to Netflix... for about $100.

Quote:
The front side of the remote for Hisense's Pulse Google TV boxWhen we finally got the dual-sided QWERTY keyboard remote in our hands, we expected a herky-jerky, hiccup-prone experience; but what we got was a smooth, responsive version of Hisense’s SmartHub UI, the same interface built into Hisense’s smart TVs. Cycling swiftly through apps like YouTube and Flickster, we wondered aloud how Hisense could afford to offer the Pulse so cheaply. In fact, some of the company’s own employees even confessed that they were as befuddled as we were.

The Pulse simply does not feel like a cheap product, load times are short (slow connection notwithstanding), typing is quick and easy, the trackpad is responsive, and the whole experience felt more or less like browsing the Internet.

Still, if you want to step up the speed and smoothness, the downloadable smartphone app is the way to go. The app (available on Android and iOS) turns your mobile device into a Pulse remote, complete with touch-wheel control and a QWERTY keyboard. Navigating this way feels almost iPod-like, as you swipe your thumb in circles and cycle through content. This method offers ultra-smooth browsing — a bit too smooth for the clumsy thumbed among us.

What about connections?
Quote:
The Pulse has HDMI, USB, and Ethernet inputs and works with both traditional cable boxes and satellite options. For the former, all it needs is the brand and model number. With those provided, you just hook up the IR blasters (which are included) and you’re ready to go. The Pulse pulls your electronic program guide (EPG) from online, and thus, effectively knows what will be on your TV before you do.

Seems like a great deal. What do you guys think?

Get all your A/V news at: AVS Latest News
Like AVS Forum on Facebook
Follow AVS Forums on Twitter
Wanna join the AVS Forum news staff? Contact me!
.......................................................................................
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 10-18-2012, 06:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I dunno about this one, just acquired my 3rd Roku 2 XS, after 5 Roku Soundbridges around the house.

We have every EU country's TV stations, including the 6 languages we speak between me and wife, we
get HD BBC World and music channels on Mummybox, Neftlix and Vudu both DD+.

Heck, they even have third party content creator software for this, just check streamfree.tv to see codes for
private channels.

What other electronic product gets 4 stars from 1500 users?

Anyway, i hope they make enough content available to make it a worthwile contender.
post #3 of 8 Old 10-19-2012, 06:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 85
To date, every new Google TV device gets glowing reviews from "professional" reviewers. But they all are a disappointment to the people who actually pay for them. I'll hold judgement until I read reviews from people who spent their own money and have to live with the product.

For me, until Google grows a set and fixes the GTV Chrome browser so that it can't be blocked by video sites, GTV will never live up to it's full potential.
post #4 of 8 Old 10-19-2012, 07:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhufnagel View Post

To date, every new Google TV device gets glowing reviews from "professional" reviewers. But they all are a disappointment to the people who actually pay for them. I'll hold judgement until I read reviews from people who spent their own money and have to live with the product.
For me, until Google grows a set and fixes the GTV Chrome browser so that it can't be blocked by video sites, GTV will never live up to it's full potential.

i agree. I tried the 2nd version of the Sony Google TV box earlier this year. Super nice hardware and remote/keyboard ... completely let down by the Google TV operating system. Complete junk.
post #5 of 8 Old 10-19-2012, 09:31 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 17
My friend develops apps for GoogleTV (and Android) and from what he tells me, they are working hard on getting it right. I normally like Google's stuff, so I'm hopeful they will get it right eventually. It might not fully please the hardcore, but they would rather have the masses.

Get all your A/V news at: AVS Latest News
Like AVS Forum on Facebook
Follow AVS Forums on Twitter
Wanna join the AVS Forum news staff? Contact me!
.......................................................................................
post #6 of 8 Old 12-26-2012, 08:05 AM

Liked: 11
In this video review, the Hisense Pulse looks very responsive:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=YMbQFSS48q0
post #7 of 8 Old 01-06-2013, 07:36 AM

Liked: 10
does anyone know if the pulse can be used to steam media from my pc ?

thanx, Jeff
post #8 of 8 Old 03-16-2013, 02:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
This is suppose to be the easiest google tv device to root to date.

Pioneer Kuro...your time is up...mwahahhahhha
Reply Latest Industry News

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page