ViewSonic Introduces the Pro9000 FullHD DLP Projector - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 18 Old 10-22-2012, 02:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
ViewSonic introduces a new laser- LED hybrid- based Full HD DLP Model Pro9000 projector to their arsenal.

Quote:
ViewSonic said the projector features an LED hybrid technology where LED light and lasers combine to create a single light source, resulting in “vibrant and rich display color that far exceeds that of a normal mercury light projector.”

The unit delivers Full HD 1080p (1920-by-1080p) native resolution using TI’s DLP DarkChip tech. Included are dual HDMI ports, component, composite and S-video inputs, RS232 control capabilities and speakers. Its bulb sports a 20,000-hour life expectancy and an instant on/off feature limits the risk of damage from overheating.
Quote:
“As opposed to conventional lamp-based projection, the Pro9000 employs a laser LED hybrid light engine technology. By eliminating the color wheel, our Pro9000 projector produces astonishing, razor-sharp images, while dramatically decreasing ghost images and rainbow effects,” said Roger Chien, ViewSonic product manager. “We are proud to have been the first manufacturer to announce a Full HD hybrid projector of this kind, and are thrilled to announce its availability to cinema enthusiasts, audio-video and commercial installer pros.”

Sounds pretty cool. What do you think?

Get all your A/V news at: AVS Latest News
Like AVS Forum on Facebook
Follow AVS Forums on Twitter
Wanna join the AVS Forum news staff? Contact me!
.......................................................................................
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 10-22-2012, 03:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 323
Laser & LED hybrid. Which colour use laser which use LED? What is the light output? The LED prohectors from Vivitek and Runco are far from bright enough for 100" screen, let alone 3D.

follow my A/V tweets @davidsusilo

ISF, THX, CEDIA, Control4 & HAA certified
Reviewer for TED, QAV, AUVI & DownUnder Audio Magazine

my (yet to be completed) BD list
my home theatre

post #3 of 18 Old 10-22-2012, 04:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 71
$3K? Not a bad price at all if it can do what it says.

Dumb enough to spend lots of cash on this junk!
post #4 of 18 Old 10-22-2012, 04:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Only 1600 lumins, no sale. Not sure it even does 3d. The site doesn't mention it.
post #5 of 18 Old 10-22-2012, 06:46 PM
AVS Special Member

1600 lumens is a joke. You can possibly get it to have a decent 80" projection using 1.3 gain screen. Definitely (even if it can do 3D) not bright enough for 3D.

Useless piece of junk.

AVS should stop posting junk news like these (another example was the Beats Pills, the "more bang for your buck" $5,000 SVS 7.0 speaker system (yes, 7.0 because at $5,000, subwoofer is still not included), Boulder Amp that only produces 60 WPC at an astronomical price).

How about real, newsworthy posts for a change?

my home theatre

post #6 of 18 Old 10-22-2012, 07:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Pretty negative vibes.

Lumenlab "Community driven video lab".
post #7 of 18 Old 10-22-2012, 09:57 PM

Liked: 10
Calm down folks....

You've got to understand that the projector manufacturers really like selling replacement lamps. I mean, they really like selling them. Kind of like HP likes selling printer ink. It is going to take some time to get the projector sector away from replacement lamps. Like all junkies - what they need is an intermediate step. That is what this is, the methadone of projectors. Sure, it is just a $1000 projector with an overbright LED and laser engine with an additional $2000 markup, but what did you expect. They LOVE the fat profits from selling lamps. To get them away we might have to pay quite a bit extra for projectors that they are only going to get money from the original sale on. Eventually competition will get these prices down, but we have to take the first steps. This is one of them.
post #8 of 18 Old 10-23-2012, 06:31 PM
AVS Special Member

True, but at that price level, they are not catering to the entry level market and yet they are not catering to the true enthusiasts either due to the lack of light output.

my home theatre

post #9 of 18 Old 10-23-2012, 10:10 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Susilo View Post

True, but at that price level, they are not catering to the entry level market and yet they are not catering to the true enthusiasts either due to the lack of light output.

What are you driveling about? 1600 lumens is a shite-ton more than my Sony 95ES, which seems to pass the test of "catering to the true enthusiast", and claims a mighty 1000 lumens at best.

You list all these credentials under your name and remark that "1600 lumens" will barely be adequate for an 80" screen?

rubbish.
post #10 of 18 Old 10-24-2012, 04:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Wow, rude much?

As everybody here know that 1600 lumens never translatest to 1600 lumens after proper calibration. rolleyes.gif

Take for example, Panasonic 7000: it is rated at 2000 lumens, when actually measured, the reality is only 1637 measured max using vivid mode and high-lamp mode. Once it's calibrated properly, the brightness level drops to 418 lumens... Which is just enough to achieve 16 ftL on an 80" screen and waaaaaayy to dim for 3D.

my home theatre

post #11 of 18 Old 10-24-2012, 07:27 AM
Advanced Member

You have no idea the calibrated lumens of this projector, yet you've already castigated the unit without fact. You're "guessing" (at best) that it will be 400. Upon what is that guess based? Your crystal ball?

IF it is discovered that the unit only puts out 400 lumens when calibrated, AT THAT POINT you would be able to make such a statement. My projector, for example, is rated only 1000 lumens, and "as everybody here knows" rolleyes.gif, it puts out about 800 calibrated. Somewhat less than the maximum possible, but certainly not 75% less. Not all lumen claims are as disproportionate as the Panasonic you thoughtfully chose as your example.

To make a statement such as yours without knowing the calibrated lumens of the projector in question is irresponsible. It may only achieve 400 lumens but it may also achieve 1000 or more - you have no idea, which means you're talking out of your arse at this point. Such statements are not helpful to forum members - on the contrary, they are harmful.

Why not try to properly educate the forum members instead of making grandstanding statements with no basis in fact?

The right thing to do would be for you to apologize to the forum members for misleading them by wording your statement as you did, and issue a reformed statement indicating "if this projector only does 400 lumens when calibrated like that horrendous Panasonic, THEN it will be to dim and it will suck" etc. Based on the bluster of your previous statement, I'm not holding my breath. However, if people want to read an accurate rendition of what you meant to say, my quote is far closer.

Whether you find this rude is frankly not my concern.
post #12 of 18 Old 10-24-2012, 07:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Clearly you haven't worked on enough projector to see a pattern that essentially all projectors, after calibration, don't yield brightness level more than 25% of the advertised brightness level. And that's if you're lucky because most will only yield 20% of the advertised brightness.

And of course you don't care about being rude, if you care you wouldn't be rude! biggrin.gif

my home theatre

post #13 of 18 Old 10-24-2012, 08:19 AM
Advanced Member

JVC RS45 - rated 1300, calibrated 892. 69% of rated brightness. Source: http://www.projectorreviews.com/jvc/dla-rs45/calibration.php
Sony 95EX - rated 1000, calibrated 721. 72% of rated brightness. Source: http://www.projectorreviews.com/sony/vpl-vw95es/index.php

Oh, and since it may be more pertinent, Viewsonic's recent offering:
Viewsonic Pro8200 - rated 2000, calibrated 1460. 73% of rated brightness. Source: http://www.projectorreviews.com/viewsonic/pro8200/index.php

I could go on, but frankly I have better things to do.

I'm more concerned with accuracy versus someone's hurt feelings.

Wait for actual numbers before making any claims.
post #14 of 18 Old 10-24-2012, 12:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I would have to agree with dave on this one, you can't really base the calibrated lumens on speculation. There is also a general consensus that LED lit projectors are perceived as being brighter than their measured lumen output in comparison to a standard bulb lit projectors. While it still might not be bright enough for 3D, I'm sure it will be sufficient for 2D content at sizes of 100" plus.

I would be more concerned with color accuracy seeing as the casio green projectors, using the same phosphor wheel technology, have been reported as having toubles in that area. Hopefully they have solved this issue.

Epson Home Cinema 3010 Projector____Paradigm 9SE MK II Main LR
Yamaha RX-V667 AVR_______________Paradigm CC-270 V.3 Center
Emotiva UPA-5 Amplifier______________Paradigm PS-1200 Sub
Sony BDP-570 Blu Ray_______________Wharfedale WH-2 Bipole Surrounds
post #15 of 18 Old 10-24-2012, 12:24 PM
AVS Special Member

With my experience with Runco and Vivitek projectors, I wouldn't worry about colour accuracy, they are very accurate even out of the box. It's brightness that is the concern. The light output for both after calibration is only around 380 lumens and to get 14ftL we have to resort in using 1.3 gain screen at 80". eek.gif

my home theatre

post #16 of 18 Old 10-24-2012, 04:13 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19
David, seems a little bit of a knee-jerk reaction no? seems more like a breakthrough product for these specs, lamp life. zero maintenance. my understanding is that with LED technology, dimming bulbs aren't much of a concern. color me excited!
post #17 of 18 Old 10-24-2012, 05:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Maybe I'm over reacting. However my experience with LED projectors have never been good. Even from Vivitek and Runco.

On the positive notes, however,
1. They tend to run "cold" (for a projector)
2. Colour accuracy out of the box can be maanufactured so they're very close to perfection out of the box
3. The bulbs don't need replacement at all (manufacturers claim that the bulb will be dimmer by 10% overtime but from my meters, the bulb only lost less than 5% of the brightness even after 5,000 hours... Which is mighty impressive.

The only part that's have yet to be even remotely acceptable is the brightness. Now if a $15k projectors fail to give decent brightness on an 80" w/ 1.0 gain screen, I'm extremely skeptical that the $3k version can be much better than its (now dropped to) $10k counterpart.

If this projector can actually yield 14 ftL for my 96" 21:9 1.0-gain screen, I'll be the first in-line to buy it !!! Here's hoping that I'm wrong... Seriously!

my home theatre

post #18 of 18 Old 10-24-2012, 06:18 PM
AVS Special Member

http://www.viewsonic.com/products/projectors/pro9000.htm

Changed my mind. The zoom control is limited to 1.2x only without any lens shift and only does 85% of NTSC colour gamut. eek.gif

Also it runs relatively hot (fan noise rated at 28 dB, which as noisy as measured Sony VPL-HW50ES) wink.gif

my home theatre

Reply Latest Industry News

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page