Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 10-24-2012, 01:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Watch the newly released The Evil Dead (2013) Red Band Trailer. NSFW
Quote:
Mia, a young woman struggling with sobriety, heads to a remote cabin with her brother and a group of friends, where the discovery of a Book of the Dead leads to danger and horror.

What do you think? Can this remake be as awesome as the original movie?

Get all your A/V news at: AVS Latest News
Like AVS Forum on Facebook
Follow AVS Forums on Twitter
Wanna join the AVS Forum news staff? Contact me!
.......................................................................................
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 10-24-2012, 01:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 30
It looks like they have kept very close to the original movie. It will probably be better in every area however the total sum of the parts will not be as good as the original .It would be nice to see Bruce Campbell in a cameo appearance. I have met him a few times at various events and he is really funny. The trailer says from the creators, so i assume Sam Rami is involved. Maybe his grandmother will play a zombie again.

Dolby Atmos 9.2.4 Marantz 7009 Gemstone 200x7 Emotiva upa-500 amps
Oppo 103 bluray player Jvc 4910 projector Benq 1070 projector
Carada 110"BW screen Monster HTS 5100 MK11 power conditioner
Golden Ear Triton 7 L&R &super center XL Emotiva erm 6.2 sides ert 8.3 rear s
Emotiva erd-1 front wides 4 erd-1 on ceiling SVS PB2-plus sub Outlaw LFM-1-plus sub
post #3 of 13 Old 10-24-2012, 01:47 PM

Liked: 42
Is that the identical set from Cabin in the Woods?

Or was the Cabin in the Woods interior an homage to some original Evil Dead set?

I swear that is the same set from Cabin in the Woods. Trap door in the same place.

Just keep talkin'. I'll let you know when you're right.
post #4 of 13 Old 10-24-2012, 02:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by cshawnmcdonald View Post

Is that the identical set from Cabin in the Woods?
Or was the Cabin in the Woods interior an homage to some original Evil Dead set?
I swear that is the same set from Cabin in the Woods. Trap door in the same place.

Yeah, since the original "Evil Dead" predates "Cabin in the Woods" by decades, I'm sure it's safe to say the latter was inspired by the former.

It's hard to judge from the trailer. I'm so pleased they didn't try to recast Ash Williams, because Bruce Campbell IS Ash! There are some scenes I like, and some I'm dubious about (primarily the route they chose to go with the possessed collegians' makeup and the too-well lit basement and flooded bridge).

I'll probably go see it on opening weekend, because the Chin has a cameo in it!

COMING SOONFinding the Ark of the Covenant by Brian Roberts, in the iBook Store on iTunes, a new investigation into the Hebrew’s Most Sacred Relic!
post #5 of 13 Old 10-24-2012, 03:14 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by [Irishman] View Post

Yeah, since the original "Evil Dead" predates "Cabin in the Woods" by decades, I'm sure it's safe to say the latter was inspired by the former.
It's hard to judge from the trailer. I'm so pleased they didn't try to recast Ash Williams, because Bruce Campbell IS Ash! There are some scenes I like, and some I'm dubious about (primarily the route they chose to go with the possessed collegians' makeup and the too-well lit basement and flooded bridge).
I'll probably go see it on opening weekend, because the Chin has a cameo in it!

http://www.deadites.net/evil-dead-films/within-the-woods/
Quote:
Within the Woods

In January 1979 Bruce Campbell was a college dropout who had just quit his job as a taxicab driver. Sam Raimi was studying literature at Michigan State University with Robert Tapert finishing his economics degree. While putting the finishing touches on It's Murder! Tapert suggested doing a feature length film to Raimi. Raimi felt it to be impossible citing that they could never pull off the funding. Campbell did not mind stating that "I could always move back home." Tapert was fearing that he would become an expert in fisheries/wildlife while Raimi was afraid that he would go back to work at his dad's home furnishing store. These were the practical reasons that convinced the three to put forth a feature length film. The three were highly supportive fans of the comedy genre, though they decided not to do such a film as they felt "a feature-length yuck fest just didn't compute". To do the film as a horror was put forth after they were inspired by a well noted scene from It's Murder. This moved Raimi to write the short film Clockwork. The three felt the end result was very effective and represented a new direction that their films could take, that of a semi-successful horror film.

This would later lead to research of low-budget horror films at the local drive-in theater. The many films that they watched were the "two films for two dollars", allowing them the chance to document the behavior of what would become their target audience. Campbell quoted, "the message was very clear: Keep the pace fast and furious, and once the horror starts, never let up. 'The gorier the merrier' became our prime directive." Films that were witnessed amongst them included Massacre at Central High and Revenge of the Cheerleaders. The idea to do a "prototype" was commissioned, to prove not only to themselves, but also to potential investors that they were capable of doing a full length horror film. The same year, at Michigan State, Raimi had been studying H. P. Lovecraft and was most impressed with Necronomicon, or simply The Book of the Dead. From these rough concepts, he concocted a short story where a group of four friends unwittingly dig up an Indian burial ground and unleash horrific spirits and demons. In the spring of 1979 filming of Within the Woods started over a three day weekend on a budget of $1,600.

Within the Woods, as well as serving as a prototype, had impressed the filmmakers. For a marketing strategy a screening was arranged at their former high school, with a positive response.

THIS predates all...... sorry. Researching is knowing..... smile.gif

http://bloody-disgusting.com/news/28869/cabin-in-the-woods-clip-gives-homage-to-raimis-evil-dead/
post #6 of 13 Old 10-24-2012, 05:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Of course Cabin in the woods' cabin was a homage. The whole movie was an intentional homage to great horror franchises. C'mon!!!

65VT60+55GT50+Onkyo TX-NR727+Denon AVR-1913+OPPO bdp-103+OPPO bdp-83=Heaven
post #7 of 13 Old 10-24-2012, 06:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 21
It will definitely be interesting to see an updated version of the original Evil Dead but that's likely all it will be, interesting. I suppose that today's generation deserves to feel and see the horror that the Evil Dead brought...but it's also possible that everything has been so overdone that it won't be anything new for first timer's seeing it. To me, the original was great and it still is, even the effects. I'll still be interested in seeing the remake though......
post #8 of 13 Old 10-24-2012, 08:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 24
I hope they kept the "card scene". It's one of my favorite scene from any horror movies. So simple, yet so effective.
post #9 of 13 Old 10-24-2012, 09:03 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 17
I'm sure it will be a fun movie but it will never touch the classic. Though personally I am sick of remakes, no matter who is doing it or involved. But that's just my take.

Get all your A/V news at: AVS Latest News
Like AVS Forum on Facebook
Follow AVS Forums on Twitter
Wanna join the AVS Forum news staff? Contact me!
.......................................................................................
post #10 of 13 Old 10-24-2012, 10:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 483 Post(s)
Liked: 773
FYI, the YouTube video has been removed by Sony.

When life gives you limes, make margaritas
post #11 of 13 Old 10-25-2012, 06:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 34
If I recall, Evil Dead was not at all campy.
ED2 was a bit, and Army of Darkness wrapped it all up and put a bow on it.

I can’t imagine a remake without Bruce C. Pretty soon they will remake Gone with the Wind with Sigourney Weaver.
post #12 of 13 Old 10-25-2012, 07:20 AM

Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Semp1 View Post

Of course Cabin in the woods' cabin was a homage. The whole movie was an intentional homage to great horror franchises. C'mon!!!

I know it was an homage. But, never having seen the original Evil Dead, I was asking if CitW actually aped the cabin set right down to the trap door and the same creepy basement area.

Just keep talkin'. I'll let you know when you're right.
post #13 of 13 Old 10-25-2012, 09:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by cshawnmcdonald View Post

I know it was an homage. But, never having seen the original Evil Dead, I was asking if CitW actually aped the cabin set right down to the trap door and the same creepy basement area.

Yes, evil dead has a trap door and basement. I haven't seen CitW though. rolleyes.gif

Yeah, Evil Dead without Bruce Campbell is like Beer without alcohol. It's just another fizzy drink that makes you pee allot. Instead of a remake of a movie that was already remade in Evil Dead 2 they should have made a sequel and brought Ash back, chainsaw hand and all.
Djoel likes this.
Reply Latest Industry News

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page