The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey to Feature Dolby Atmos Mix - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 23 Old 10-24-2012, 02:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Dolby Laboratories and director Peter Jackson’s Park Road Post Production announces today that The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey will be mixed and released in Dolby Atmos.

The press release:
Quote:
Dolby Laboratories and Park Road Post Production today announced that director Peter Jackson's The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey, a production of New Line Cinema and Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Pictures (MGM), will be mixed in Dolby® Atmos™ to deliver a more natural, realistic soundtrack that moves sound around and above audiences, helping to transport them into the world of Middle-earth.

"I strive to make movies that allow the audience to participate in the events onscreen, rather than just watch them unfold. Wonderful technology is now available to support this goal: high frame rates, 3D, and now the stunning Dolby Atmos system," said Peter Jackson, co-writer, director, and producer of The Hobbit trilogy. "Dolby has always been at the cutting edge of providing cinema audiences with the ultimate sound experience, and they have now surpassed themselves. Dolby Atmos provides the completely immersive sound experience that filmmakers like myself have long dreamed about."

Academy Award®-winning trio Christopher Boyes, Michael Hedges, and Michael Semanick (The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King) will be creating the Dolby Atmos mix at Park Road Post Production. Dolby Atmos is a new audio platform that revolutionizes the experience of sound in entertainment. It allows sound designers and mixers a new level of creative control and ensures that cinema audiences will experience the full impact of their mix regardless of theatre configuration.

"It's an inspiring time in cinema, with Peter Jackson taking moviemaking to new frontiers with Dolby's next-generation audio solutions," said Doug Darrow, Senior Vice President, Cinema, Dolby Laboratories. "When The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey hits theatres equipped with these Dolby technologies, audiences will be transported into the journey with the lifelike realism the creative team envisioned."

Will the Atmos sound make The Hobbit even more epic? What do you think?

Get all your A/V news at: AVS Latest News
Like AVS Forum on Facebook
Follow AVS Forums on Twitter
Wanna join the AVS Forum news staff? Contact me!
.......................................................................................
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 10-24-2012, 03:01 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 38
I'm going Bart Scott on this one; can't wait!

60F8000; RX-V367; TSi300 x2; YST-SW102; Harmony 650; Apple TV; Microsoft Xbox One Console; RF-HTS120;

xRite i1 Display Pro (OEM); CalMAN 5 Basic; ColorHCFR
post #3 of 23 Old 10-24-2012, 03:11 PM

Liked: 10
From what I hear...ABSOLUTELY.

Skyrun Cinema Build-Speakers done and positioned. 7/2 THTLP done. Fabric Frames going on now.

post #4 of 23 Old 10-24-2012, 03:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 203
I saw Brave at the El Capitan in Los Angeles with my daughter when we were on summer vacation there. I loved the whole sound system and the Atmos was pretty cool. Too bad I won't be somewhere for work that has Atmos when this movie comes out.

Can you imagine a 70mm IMAX 3D with Atmos? Wowza! Don't think that is happening on any account though.

EDIT: I WILL be in Plano, TX on December 13th, flying home sometime on the 14th. The CInemark theater there is supposed to have Atmos! I could leave the office at 5:00 pm, grab a quick bite, hit the hotel, sleep until 10:30, get ready to head to the theater, and check out a midnight showing. That way I would be rested up a little bit for being in the office again on Friday. Sah-weet!
post #5 of 23 Old 10-24-2012, 05:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 48
given that that some theaters(caugh showcase caugh) still have screens too small for 3d(the ones near me have screens more square than rectangle) i highly doubt it will matter for some of us

pcm=potato
bitstream=patato
post #6 of 23 Old 10-24-2012, 08:10 PM - Thread Starter

This was kinda expected since this movie seems to be doing all the latest stuff. Now only if every theater had the sound system. Then maybe I would go more often. So this all makes sense.

Get all your A/V news at: AVS Latest News
Like AVS Forum on Facebook
Follow AVS Forums on Twitter
Wanna join the AVS Forum news staff? Contact me!
.......................................................................................
post #7 of 23 Old 10-24-2012, 08:22 PM

Liked: 11
EPIC... This film and sound shall be!

I live in Plano and the Theaters here are always on the cutting edge.

#iamsothere

My Home Theater = Investment In My Entertainment!
post #8 of 23 Old 10-24-2012, 09:56 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 21
After seeing "Brave" with the Atmos system, I know that this will be awesome. Can't wait!
post #9 of 23 Old 10-24-2012, 10:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 35
So, when will HT receivers have Atmos, so we can once again be antisocial and just watch it at home? Wonder if the receiver manufacturers could just repurpose the rear surround channels (that are largely unused, especially in wide-but shallow home theaters) to power Atmos channels? Course, they'll need to retrofit the processing into the receivers first...smart money's on Onkyo to throw the first Atmos punch, any takers? I'd be pretty darn exited to see Atmos mixed blu-ray audio discs...
post #10 of 23 Old 10-25-2012, 01:13 AM

How many discreet channels does the Dolby Atmos have??

Is the Audio completely lossless like the PCM audio of DCPs??
post #11 of 23 Old 10-25-2012, 04:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 451
Hell yes!! I will be in San Antonio on business the 14-19!! I am definatly watching this in ATMOS at the palladium 10!!!

Panasonic 65VT30 | Denon x4000 | Emotiva XPA-5 | Emotiva XSP-1 | Emotiva DC-1 | PSB imagine B's |PSB image c5 | PSB B4's | DUAL PSA XS30 | OPPO 103 | minidsp
my HT gallery: http://www.blu-ray.com/community/gallery.php?u=240707

post #12 of 23 Old 10-25-2012, 05:38 AM
CIH USER

Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Fineberg View Post

Hell yes!! I will be in San Antonio on business the 14-19!! I am definatly watching this in ATMOS at the palladium 10!!!

Very lucky. I doubt I will ever get a chance to hear The Hobbit in ATMOS. Looking forward in reading the impressions.

Frank

post #13 of 23 Old 10-25-2012, 05:49 AM

Liked: 40
Nice. I don't care about 48fps or 3D, but I will absolutely shell out the extra cash for Atmos.

In part 1, I can see the goblin battle and the Gollum scene having some very cool sound imaging. Of course, we'll have to wait at least until part 2 (maybe even part 3) before we get Smaug raining death from above, and the Battle of the Five Armies will definitely be in part 3.

post #14 of 23 Old 10-25-2012, 06:16 AM

I live in San Antonio and had no clue we had Atoms theater!
post #15 of 23 Old 10-25-2012, 06:26 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
It appears that there are only about 13 Atmos theaters in the USA.

The closest one to me is in Chicago. A short 800 mile/14 hour drive!
post #16 of 23 Old 10-25-2012, 07:05 AM

Liked: 38
Hey,
Quote:
How many discreet channels does the Dolby Atmos have??

I think I read somewhere that Atmos in Theatre has 64 discrete channels. And also that it was "scalable", probably meaning that theatres wouldn't have to go full 64... or that home users could have a lot fewer as well. I don't know if I would want to have anything in my theatre this crazy. You'd have to string a net that was lined with speakers over your ceiling. The individual speakers would be best if they were wireless and had a single power plug (heh, probably a 240 to power that many speakers), and you'd need a separate processor to deal with all those channels of sound.

ACHTUNG!
ALLES TURISTEN UND NONTEKNISCHEN LOOKENPEEPERS! DAS KOMPUTERMASCHINE IST NICHT FÜR DER GEFINGERPOKEN UND MITTENGRABEN! DER RUBBERNECKEN SIGHTSEEREN KEEPEN DAS COTTONPICKEN HÄNDER IN DAS POCKETS MUSS. ZO RELAXEN UND WATSCHEN DER BLINKENLICHTEN.
post #17 of 23 Old 10-25-2012, 12:19 PM

Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by maestro20001 View Post

Hey,
I think I read somewhere that Atmos in Theatre has 64 discrete channels. And also that it was "scalable", probably meaning that theatres wouldn't have to go full 64... or that home users could have a lot fewer as well. I don't know if I would want to have anything in my theatre this crazy. You'd have to string a net that was lined with speakers over your ceiling. The individual speakers would be best if they were wireless and had a single power plug (heh, probably a 240 to power that many speakers), and you'd need a separate processor to deal with all those channels of sound.

Not "64 discrete channels" . . . it's "up to 64 speakers:"

http://www.dolby.com/us/en/consumer/technology/movie/dolby-atmos-details.html
post #18 of 23 Old 10-25-2012, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjruby View Post

It appears that there are only about 13 Atmos theaters in the USA.
The closest one to me is in Chicago. A short 800 mile/14 hour drive!

Yeah, its kind of a bummer. The closest Atmos theater to me is hours away in Orlando. I love going to that city, but I hate driving that far just to see a movie... especially since my car gets around 17mpg. It'd only be worth it to me if I car pooled with some of my friends and we spent a few days there... which I might very well do since it would be a good excuse to get out of town. cool.gif
post #19 of 23 Old 10-26-2012, 11:12 AM

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart View Post

Not "64 discrete channels" . . . it's "up to 64 speakers:"

But Atmos doesn't really use channels anyway, does it? I was under the impression that you simply pick a point in space that the sound should come from and the processor will distribute that sound between the two speakers closest to where you want it to be played from. So, if we apply a channel logic to this, doesn't it make sense that there are effectively 64 discreet channels since, theoretically, one could map an individual sound to a location that only one speaker would play?

post #20 of 23 Old 10-26-2012, 02:49 PM

Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frosteh View Post

But Atmos doesn't really use channels anyway, does it? I was under the impression that you simply pick a point in space that the sound should come from and the processor will distribute that sound between the two speakers closest to where you want it to be played from. So, if we apply a channel logic to this, doesn't it make sense that there are effectively 64 discreet channels since, theoretically, one could map an individual sound to a location that only one speaker would play?

Technical Design
Quote:
Dolby Atmos uses an innovative layered approach to building a soundtrack. A base layer consists largely of static ambient sounds, which are mixed using the familiar channel-based method. Layered on top of these are dynamic audio elements that can be positioned and moved precisely to correspond to the images onscreen.

Metadata within Dolby Atmos records how these elements should behave during playback—behavior that best matches the director’s intent, regardless of theatre configuration. This dual-layer approach gives film creators greater power and freedom while ensuring you a consistent experience in any theatre.

post #21 of 23 Old 10-28-2012, 08:00 PM
wse
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 293
DTS MDA will be first in HT processor and AV receivers, you can count on it .biggrin.gif and yes ONKYO W
Will be the first with the technology!
post #22 of 23 Old 10-28-2012, 08:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Any idea re list of theaters in California
post #23 of 23 Old 10-28-2012, 10:12 PM