LG Developing webOS-Powered Smart TV - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 10-25-2012, 06:33 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Rumor: LG and Gram (formerly Known as Palm) are working together to develop a new smart TV powered by webOS.

How long have they been working on this? According to WebOSNation:
Quote:
The project of porting Open webOS to the big screen has been underway for several months, well before the revelation that HP would be spinning the webOS GBU off as an independent Gram. Headed by HP's Leonid Zolotarev, with Keith Weng leading program management and former Motorola project manager Thom Davis in charge of engineering, the Open webOS porting project has aimed to bring the user interface of webOS to the television, replacing LG's aging NetCast smart TV platform. NetCast was introduced back at CES 2009 (the same CES where the original Palm Pre was introduced and won Best of Show). While webOS has been overhauled multiple times since then, NetCast hasn't evolved much, though it's had a few new apps added over the years.

How about the lack of apps that would be needed for webOS?
Quote:
The process requires more than just a port, though - for Open webOS to be taken seriously as a smart TV platform, it needs a number of apps that webOS has simply never had. These apps are being built in Enyo, and are said to include services like Netflix (we hear you - finally!). NetCast also offers Yahoo widgets, CinemaNow, Pandora, Vudu, and YouTube; again, apps that would need to be built fresh in Enyo as there's simply not a modern webOS equivalent (excepting Pandora, though a commercially-available TV would need an official app).

When can we start seeing this in action?
Quote:
LG and Gram are hoping to show off the Open webOS LG TV at CES 2013, though when it might hit shelves and how much corporate and retail support will be behind it (assuming it actually launches) is another question entirely.

This sounds like a very interesting move. What do you think?

Get all your A/V news at: AVS Latest News
Like AVS Forum on Facebook
Follow AVS Forums on Twitter
Wanna join the AVS Forum news staff? Contact me!
.......................................................................................
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 10-25-2012, 08:38 AM

Liked: 22
I am thrilled! I have been using Palm Pilot products since 2001. I still use the Palm Tungsten C in my medical practice. It does sometimes reset, but I haven't yet found any other solution that's better than that. It's like having my "pocket brains" in front of me. It's never forgetful, and easy to use.
I also have heard that WebOS, or Palm, or whatever you want to call it, is arguably the most efficient coding ever conceived.
post #3 of 6 Old 10-25-2012, 04:18 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 17
i thought webOS was pretty solid and a great mobile OS. I am happy to see it live on.

Get all your A/V news at: AVS Latest News
Like AVS Forum on Facebook
Follow AVS Forums on Twitter
Wanna join the AVS Forum news staff? Contact me!
.......................................................................................
post #4 of 6 Old 10-25-2012, 06:10 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeddyP View Post

i thought webOS was pretty solid and a great mobile OS. I am happy to see it live on.

I agree. I wish it had taken off!
post #5 of 6 Old 10-25-2012, 10:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 59
yeah it had such potential until HP royally dropped the ball and screwed it over, Im glad it went open source, it has some great potential, cant wait to see what happens. smile.gif

post #6 of 6 Old 10-26-2012, 12:41 AM

Liked: 10
very informative..thanks for this..
Reply Latest Industry News

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page