LG to Debut Ultra HD TV Today - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 22 Old 10-25-2012, 11:18 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
LG is set to debut and sell their first Ultra High Definition TV today at the Video & Audio Center in Lawndale, California.

Quote:
The event will take place today at the store 11 a.m. Western time and the sets will go on sale at noon, but the retailer reported that eager consumers began to line up since 9 p.m. last night when a dress rehearsal was being held at the store.

So what TV will be featured?
Quote:
The LG 84-inch 84LM9600 LED TV provides four times the resolution of today’s HDTVs and has a suggested retail of $19,999. LG said the TV quadruples the level of detail from Full 1080p HD resolution to a massive 8 million pixels.

Side note -- Sony is also gearing up to introduce its own big-screen 4K TV at retail stores by the end of November.

Get all your A/V news at: AVS Latest News
Like AVS Forum on Facebook
Follow AVS Forums on Twitter
Wanna join the AVS Forum news staff? Contact me!
.......................................................................................
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 10-25-2012, 12:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Exciting stuff!

Good to see there will be some competition early on.
Will be fun to see how the pricing develops closer to Xmas (and when a 3rd and 4th supplier joins this party).
Hopefully this technology enhancement will add some spark to the flat panel market.

Cuzed2
Check out a video of my theater here
CuznEddy Cinema
Officially Hanesamatized on 8/1/09

post #3 of 22 Old 10-25-2012, 12:14 PM

Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuzed2 View Post

Exciting stuff!
Good to see there will be some competition early on.
Will be fun to see how the pricing develops closer to Xmas (and when a 3rd and 4th supplier joins this party).
Hopefully this technology enhancement will add some spark to the flat panel market.

Who are the other suppliers that you are talking about?
post #4 of 22 Old 10-25-2012, 12:14 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeddyP View Post

LG is set to debut and sell their first Ultra High Definition TV today at the Video & Audio Center in Lawndale, California.
So what TV will be featured?
Side note -- Sony is also gearing up to introduce its own big-screen 4K TV at retail stores by the end of November.

I know this was a prior quote. People were lining up at 9 pm last night? Seriously? I'm not buying that news

60F8000; RX-V367; TSi300 x2; YST-SW102; Harmony 650; Apple TV; Microsoft Xbox One Console; RF-HTS120;

xRite i1 Display Pro (OEM); CalMAN 5 Basic; ColorHCFR
post #5 of 22 Old 10-25-2012, 12:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart View Post

Who are the other suppliers that you are talking about?

I have no specific info on who will be next. However someone will most certainly join that party: I'm guessing Samsung, maybe Panasonic (wouldn't be surprised if Vizio also jumps in......)

Cuzed2
CuznEddy Cinema

post #6 of 22 Old 10-25-2012, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuzed2 View Post

I have no specific info on who will be next. However someone will most certainly join that party: I'm guessing Samsung, maybe Panasonic (wouldn't be surprised if Vizio also jumps in......)

The only company to show UHDTVs just recently, besides LG and Sony, has been Toshiba and they have stated they will deliver sometime in 2013.

Vizio showed an 84" UHDTV prototype at CES 2012 but said they will not deliver any in 2012.

Panasonic showed a 20" UHDTV at IFA in September.

So don't be surprised if the only large screen UHDTVs to be sold this Xmas come from LG and Sony.
post #7 of 22 Old 10-25-2012, 12:30 PM
AVS Special Member

I guess it could be limited to just two brands for this Holiday season?

That's OK with me - I am not an early adopter, and am unlikely to be in the market for a new display for another 1~2 years.

Cuzed2
CuznEddy Cinema

post #8 of 22 Old 10-25-2012, 01:35 PM

Liked: 10
I am pretty sure I read somewhere that Hisense is releasing a 50 or 55" model. Just not sure where I read it??

Edit: http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2012/10/this-no-name-chinese-company-could-kick-sonys-4k-ass/
post #9 of 22 Old 10-25-2012, 01:41 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 26
why are these so expensive? MacbookPro is already running almost 3000x2000 resolutions.
post #10 of 22 Old 10-25-2012, 01:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Quote:

The only company to show UHDTVs just recently, besides LG and Sony, has been Toshiba and they have stated they will deliver sometime in 2013.
Vizio showed an 84" UHDTV prototype at CES 2012 but said they will not deliver any in 2012.
Panasonic showed a 20" UHDTV at IFA in September.
So don't be surprised if the only large screen UHDTVs to be sold this Xmas come from LG and Sony.

That is wrong actually. Sharp has been demoing a 60" and 70" 4K for years and announced at CES in Jan 2012 that it had plans for late 2012 release, but since then there has been no word so I would guess Q2 of 2013. Samsung also showed a 55" 4K display at CES, but never mention any projected price or release date. Hinsense has announced a 55" and 65" 4K model for 2013 under about $6000. As for what will be available soon, they all use the LG 84" IPS 4K panel. The LG will be out first for around 18K street price, Sony around 22K street and the Toshiba early 2013 somewhere in the middle.
post #11 of 22 Old 10-25-2012, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sytech View Post

That is wrong actually. Sharp has been demoing a 60" and 70" 4K for years and announced at CES in Jan 2012 that it had plans for late 2012 release, but since then there has been no word so I would guess Q2 of 2013. Samsung also showed a 55" 4K display at CES, but never mention any projected price or release date. Hinsense has announced a 55" and 65" 4K model for 2013 under about $6000. As for what will be available soon, they all use the LG 84" IPS 4K panel. The LG will be out first for around 18K street price, Sony around 22K street and the Toshiba early 2013 somewhere in the middle.

No - I wasn't wrong. It wil only be LG and Sony who will be selling 4K TVs this Holiday Season. And your info just backs me up. wink.gif
post #12 of 22 Old 10-25-2012, 04:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Quote:

No - I wasn't wrong. It wil only be LG and Sony who will be selling 4K TVs this Holiday Season. And your info just backs me up. wink.gif

You said "The only company to show UHDTVs just recently"
Sharp showed their 4K at all three major shows this year. CES, CEDIA and most recently the Japanese show last month. So yes you are wrong.
post #13 of 22 Old 10-25-2012, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sytech View Post

You said "The only company to show UHDTVs just recently"
Sharp showed their 4K at all three major shows this year. CES, CEDIA and most recently the Japanese show last month. So yes you are wrong.

Please link stories on Sharp 4K TVs at IFA and CEATEC.
post #14 of 22 Old 10-25-2012, 05:38 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

why are these so expensive? MacbookPro is already running almost 3000x2000 resolutions.

Bigger is usually more expensive, not necessarily pixels per inch! ppi is usually more expensive only at he same screen size.

Lots of 1080p TVs out there all at the same resolution. The more inches the more dollars.
post #15 of 22 Old 10-25-2012, 10:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 58
early adopters always fork out bigger R&D prices, its just the nature of the beast, that and the lack of competition also allows the companies to drive up their prices.

post #16 of 22 Old 10-26-2012, 06:07 AM

Liked: 10
Hello,

Here U information about the LG to Debut Ultra HD TV Today thanx to information about the. And i hope it's too good his reviews and performance.

Thanx:-
post #17 of 22 Old 10-26-2012, 09:14 PM

These are the disclaimers LG is publishing in the operating manual:

*No “ultra high definition” or “4K” video content is currently available. No broadcast or other standard currently exists for “4K” or “ultra high definition” television, and the 84LM9600 may or may not be compatible with such standards if and when developed.

**Internet connection and certain subscriptions required and sold separately. Content and services vary by product and are subject to change without notice.

For a small percentage of the population, the viewing of stereoscopic 3D video may cause discomfort such as dizziness or nausea. If you experience any of these symptoms, discontinue using the 3D functionality and contact your health care provider.

Designs, features and specifications subject to change without notice. LG LED TVs are LCD TVs with LED backlighting.
post #18 of 22 Old 10-27-2012, 08:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Wowl, i guess I am a little suprised, but what this means is the push has began, now we just need the content and storage media but get rid of the disk itself because they will try to compress the heck out of it. Just give us holographic storage.. LoL Really though, i think the disk, has had it's time can we get better technology please, i am sure a lot of you are thinking this as well :P
post #19 of 22 Old 10-27-2012, 01:58 PM

Liked: 37
Sure, I'd like to see that too, but I doubt it will happen any time soon. I think the TV manufacturers are out there on their own, with little prospect of adequate available content for some time to come (few years?).

First of all, Blu-Ray sales have not yet surpassed DVD sales, much less killed it off. Where's the market incentive?

http://www.blu-raystats.com/MarketShare/WeekDetails.php?Date=2012-10-07

Whatever content becomes available will be heavily DRMed, you can be sure of that. The studios have invested in AAC and BD+ anti-copy protection for Blu-Rays. The simplest solution is to amend the Blu-ray spec and cram main movie onto a BD50. Figure 4x current video bitrate requirement, and improvement in compression efficiency (H265) of around 2x, for increased storage space need of 2x. Since a Blu-Ray main movie just about fits a BD25 (lossless audio tracks aside), it's not *too* unreasonable. You'll need a new player though, obviously, and they'll be few and fearfully expensive.

But look again at the graph, sales are down for optical media overall. Look at past months and it's stagnant at best.

If you're holding out for holographic storage, you'll have a long wait. I don't see the incentive for any such speculative projects. I've read about various suggestions, such as thumb drives; with the new TVs able to recognize/play 4k movies from USB. Really, I think DRM may knock that one out of contention. It'll have to DRMed somehow. What, another DRM scheme? Current ones don't seem to be too popular or successful. But nevertheless anti-copy protection will trump everything else.

So for the time being, I think it will be amended spec Blu-Ray on BD50 or nothing.
post #20 of 22 Old 10-27-2012, 05:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 153
Bring on the 4K content!! Think I pretty much agree with the fella above.

JBL Pro Cinema
post #21 of 22 Old 10-27-2012, 05:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart 

Please link stories on Sharp 4K TVs at IFA and CEATEC.

IFA
Sharp ICC-4K 55'' tv demos at IFA 2012
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMvIdcXgSpY

CEATEC
Sharp shows ICC-LED 4K vs. FHD comparison at CEATEC 2012
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7FRe5uoqK0

[CEATEC 2012] Sharp ICC-LED 4K TV is what we have all been waiting for!
http://en.akihabaranews.com/119179/home-entertainment/ceatec-2012-sharp-icc-led-4k-tv-is-what-we-have-all-been-waiting-for?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=ceatec-2012-sharp-icc-led-4k-tv-is-what-we-have-all-been-waiting-for
post #22 of 22 Old 10-28-2012, 12:26 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I saw this being sold at 17k, but I love Sony wink.gif can I get that for 20k?
Reply Latest Industry News

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page