Warner Bros. and Redbox Engage Shorter Wait Time for Rentals - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 10-26-2012, 07:35 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Warner Bros. and Redbox strike a multi-year deal that aims to shorten the wait time for new movies available through Redbox.
Quote:
The studio said it will make newly released movies available to Redbox within 28 days of the DVDs and Blu-ray discs going on sale, starting in January.

The old policy forced rental outlets to wait 56 days from the time the disc goes on retail. This went against the traditional 28-day wait.
Quote:
Under the new agreement, Redbox has agreed to tout UltraViolet -- a studio-led initiative, pushed hard by Warner, that promotes the benefits of movie ownership -- at its rental kiosks. UltraViolet movies may be stored digitally, and accessed via any service or device that is part of this Digital Entertainment Content Ecosystem.

Warner struck a separate deal with Redbox Instant by Verizon, a joint venture between the retailer and the carrier, to offer its movies through a planned streaming service. This offering, which is set to launch later this year, will support and distribute UltraViolet-enabled movies.

Sounds like a reasonable deal to me.

Get all your A/V news at: AVS Latest News
Like AVS Forum on Facebook
Follow AVS Forums on Twitter
Wanna join the AVS Forum news staff? Contact me!
.......................................................................................
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 10-26-2012, 08:09 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 29
hopefully it isnt "B" titles...
post #3 of 4 Old 10-26-2012, 10:29 AM

Liked: 11
The movie studios' business model is flawed. Forcing rental retailers like Redbox to restrict rentals for a certain window is ridiculous. All movies should be available to rent day-and-date with the retail copy. People are still going to buy the movies if they're worth purchasing, plus the studios have the opportunity to double-dip when a person rents the movie and then decides to purchase that same movie after finding that they enjoyed the movie and feel it's worth buying. I for one rarely blind buy movies because if the movie ends up being garbage I'm out the $15-20 that I paid for it.
post #4 of 4 Old 10-26-2012, 04:09 PM

Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by THE DU3C3 View Post

The movie studios' business model is flawed. Forcing rental retailers like Redbox to restrict rentals for a certain window is ridiculous. All movies should be available to rent day-and-date with the retail copy. People are still going to buy the movies if they're worth purchasing, plus the studios have the opportunity to double-dip when a person rents the movie and then decides to purchase that same movie after finding that they enjoyed the movie and feel it's worth buying. I for one rarely blind buy movies because if the movie ends up being garbage I'm out the $15-20 that I paid for it.

WB has said numerous times that their rental embargo has lead to higher OD sales.
Reply Latest Industry News

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page