DLNA Certifications Doubles in Two Years - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 10-29-2012, 10:47 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
The Digital Living Network Alliance (DLNA) announces it has certified over 500 AV systems, doubling the number of certified devices since 2010.

From press release:
Quote:
The Digital Living Network Alliance® (DLNA®) has seen a surge in the number of DLNA Certified® Audio-Video (AV) products, and today announces that Certifications have doubled since 2010. DLNA has Certified more than 500 AV systems to date, providing consumers with the ability to enjoy music and video content on a range of consumer electronics products throughout the digital home.

"AV devices have become a vital component of today's connected home," said Nidhish Parikh, chairman and president of DLNA. "Consumers are demanding more from their digital content and are looking for ways to access media from multiple devices on their home network. DLNA Certified® AV systems are able to communicate with other consumer electronics such as smartphones, tablets, televisions and NAS devices, effectively expanding the boundaries of the digital home through easy interoperability."

Prior to DLNA Certified® AV systems, consumers were restricted by the use of bulky tapes, memory cards, discs and CDs for AV content. Today, consumers can use connected devices to effortlessly enjoy content throughout the digital home.

AV continues to be an expanding category within the connected home. According to Parks Associates, more than 60 percent of home audio products are expected to come with embedded network capabilities by 2016. The same report also revealed that more than 90 million AV units worldwide will feature technologies such as DLNA. Moreover, trusted consumer websites such as tested.com support DLNA as a networking feature when choosing an AV receiver for the home theater.

"As a manufacturer that is committed to bringing the ultimate digital entertainment experience to households worldwide, LG is pleased to leverage DLNA technology to ensure consumers have the best in connected consumer products," said Byungjin Kim, Smart Convergence Technology Team Leader, LG. "Incorporating DLNA technology into LG products allows consumers to effortlessly connect and enjoy music and video content over the home network connection without being limited by wires."

"With more than 50 DLNA Certified AV systems, it is clear ONKYO realizes the significance of including the technology into our products to create ease and convenience for consumers," said Nobuaki Okuda, CTO, Onkyo Corporation. "ONKYO is committed to offering a variety of ways for consumers to enjoy music content. Incorporating DLNA into our products enables our AV systems to be an integral part to the connected home."

DLNA Certified® AV systems can act as a digital media player or renderer, allowing consumers to control their integrated home theater systems by easily browsing, playing and controlling video or music from DLNA Certified® products such as Blu-ray players, laptops, mobile phones, tablets and televisions. With nearly 20,000 DLNA Certified® device models, consumers can enjoy their music and video content on AV systems from an array of DLNA Certified® products. DLNA Certified® AV systems are currently available from member companies including: Harman International, Huawei, LG, ONKYO, Philips, Pioneer, Sony, Yamaha, and many more. A full list of Certified AV system models can be found on the DLNA Certified Product Search.

This is always good news.

Get all your A/V news at: AVS Latest News
Like AVS Forum on Facebook
Follow AVS Forums on Twitter
Wanna join the AVS Forum news staff? Contact me!
.......................................................................................
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 10-29-2012, 04:52 PM

Liked: 10
Yes, great news! If they were more flexible with their pricing model, they'd see more software products certified as well smile.gif

Dennis. Developer of KooRaRoo Media - the newest DLNA server on the market. Give it a try today by visiting http://www.kooraroo.com. Happy to assist with questions related to DLNA in general or KooRaRoo specifically.
post #3 of 5 Old 10-30-2012, 10:52 AM

Liked: 36
Well, DLNA is doomed to fail because the standard is way too lose. Anyone that has tracked the progress of DLNA servers (e.g. Twonky and more recently, Serviio) knows how much work is involved in supporting the plethora devices in a meaningful way. Look at Serviio's custom profile collection just across the family of Sony Bravia TVs and you will see the problem.

If DLNA is to survive, they need to publish a 2.0 standard that is in-sync with features provided by newer AVRs and media players. For example, define video standards for 1080p video with multiple, embedded subtitles and audio tracks (2-channel stereo, SD surround and hi-def audio codecs as pass-thru - at least match what is provided by the DVD and BD specifications). Similarly, for music, allow for native playback of lossless audio (i.e. FLAC), which isn't even required by the current standard.

Without the above, server software vendors and CE device vendors are scrambling to find common ground and only the nerds, frankly, have the chops to make all of this stuff work in practice. In the meantime, Apple and Airplay will continue to completely dominiate this space and DLNA will remain a 'checkbox' feature - have to have it on the box, but few actually use it.

"Play the volume as loud as you want - but don't touch my levels now. I got them set just like I like them"
post #4 of 5 Old 10-30-2012, 11:53 AM

Liked: 10
Yeah.....I ran the DLNA gauntlet. I threw down Serviio, I belted it with Twonky. I was up til' 3 a.m. more than once, because I was just so darn surethat I had it right thistime.

Then, sadly defeated and deflated, I reflected upon a protocol that seemed to have so much promise, but in the end, all it did was kick my a**. DLNA, I want you to work, I really do. But, until you change your ways, i'm going to be living with my uncle Steve at his Airplay house.

love,
-b
post #5 of 5 Old 10-30-2012, 12:34 PM

Liked: 18
The DLNA gurus have confused press releases with meaningful progress since 2006. Maybe that's why many of the same companies that originally backed DLNA announced Miracast a few weeks ago. DLNA will no doubt try to save face and try to claim that Miracast is "complementary" or targeted at different needs, but we're just not that stupid. I had some hope for DLNA, but every year they fall behind by another year.

There must be some really dysfunctional dynamics with the DLNA group at the leadership and decision-making level. There is considerable talent and technology in many of the companies that originally backed it. I hope some non-Apple group gets their act together to make Apple sweat a little and feel some pressure to innovate a bit more in the streaming and networking space - sharing music across a home with iTunes is a nightmare, and I have no idea what is really happening with resampling/reconverting behavior to be able to figure out what went wrong when things go wrong with Airplay, not to mention the lack of support for FLAC and other non-proprietary codecs.
Reply Latest Industry News

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page