Disney To Buy Lucasfilm For $4.05 Billion; Lucas Hands Over Star Wars - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 179 Old 10-30-2012, 05:23 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowmanick View Post

Please don't take any offense by what I am about to say, but I love that you state he messed up the prequels but your avatar is Darth Maul.

Please explain how I am being contradictory? Darth maul, the only character that I thought was original and well done in the series. But baring that, forget the fact that I like that idea of the character of Darth maul, he was just one character in the movie and could not possibly able to carry the whole movie with such as small part he played. The series was executed terribly IMO and don't get me started on the acting of Palpatine in the last installment, that by itself made me lose any respect I once had for the feared Emperor.

My build thread

My 8 x RE XXX 18" Subwoofers, IB build
Couldn't pour water out of a boot with instructions on the heel.

Do you know what Nemesis means?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 179 Old 10-30-2012, 05:32 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 99

My build thread

My 8 x RE XXX 18" Subwoofers, IB build
Couldn't pour water out of a boot with instructions on the heel.

Do you know what Nemesis means?

post #63 of 179 Old 10-30-2012, 05:35 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I don't see how it can be any worse. Lucas nearly killed his own creation. Let's hope Disney has the vision to allow the director/producer to put an edgy feel back into Star Wars.

If you don't want to know, don't ask. The truth is brutal, prepare for pain.
post #64 of 179 Old 10-30-2012, 05:38 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Episode 7 is suppose to be about Luke turning to the dark side and Leia trying to save him. Remember Luke did turn to the dark side in episode 6 when he tried to kill Palpatine. Once you start down the dark path forever will it control your destiny. Yoda told this to Luke but he still used the force to attack Palpatine in the throne room. It could be a good story if done right. I would need to see the cast.

Klipsch Synergy 3 speakers (LCR & surrounds)
dual Klipsch RW 12d
dual BIC PL-200
120" DIY 16:9 screen
Panasonic PT AX 200U projector
Panasonic BMP-BD35 blu-ray
Velodyne SMS-1
post #65 of 179 Old 10-30-2012, 06:17 PM

Liked: 16
Let's not forget Disney also gets Indiana Jones in this bargain, so we may see more Indy films as well, with a new actor perhaps. Nathan Fillion maybe?
post #66 of 179 Old 10-30-2012, 06:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by batutta View Post

Let's not forget Disney also gets Indiana Jones in this bargain, so we may see more Indy films as well, with a new actor perhaps. Nathan Fillion maybe?

never going to happen Mr.Fillion is going to be in uncharted first

pcm=potato
bitstream=patato
post #67 of 179 Old 10-30-2012, 06:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Liked: 419
Hmm, it could be either this...

Or this...

biggrin.gif

Time will tell what ol' uncle Walty will do with it. I'm sure there's mucho grande stipulations in the contract as to what Disney can/can't do with the Star Wars films.

Growing Older But Not Up
post #68 of 179 Old 10-30-2012, 07:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 51
People are already throwing out all kinds of names for who might direct the next film - Joss Whedon, Rian Johnson, Guillermo Dl Toro, even Ben Affleck - but one choice that I think is kind of obvious but not at all mentioned so far is Steven Spielberg. He has a history with Lucas and Kathleen Kennedy, has said for years that he wants desperately to direct a Star Wars movie, and would lend instant credibility and a nice "transition path" to the project.
post #69 of 179 Old 10-30-2012, 07:39 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDP View Post

People are already throwing out all kinds of names for who might direct the next film - Joss Whedon, Rian Johnson, Guillermo Dl Toro, even Ben Affleck - but one choice that I think is kind of obvious but not at all mentioned so far is Steven Spielberg. He has a history with Lucas and Kathleen Kennedy, has said for years that he wants desperately to direct a Star Wars movie, and would lend instant credibility and a nice "transition path" to the project.

100% agree with this

1303 DVD
91 Blu-Ray
My Collection

post #70 of 179 Old 10-30-2012, 08:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMFDMvsEnya View Post

As Lucas passes on the reins of his Empire to new stewards he relinquishes the independence of his company that he vehemently fought for, in a bygone era. I wonder if he appreciates the irony.
Best Regards
KvE
I don't know, he created a hugely successful company that allowed him to make the films he wanted to, without having to bow to studio heads, all while helping a few other film-makers along the way. The $4 billion dollar agreement gives him the cash to do more of whatever he wants to. Some of that may include more gifts to USC, or other film-production projects, allowing others to follow in his footsteps.

Not to mention those small films he was always talking about.

All of this coming at a time when the tools for making movies are becoming more available to more people, and the face of movie distribution becoming more diverse and plentifully by the year.

It seems like he did it his way, and the future of entertainment is evolving past what that younger Lucas may have even imagined.

Scott

post #71 of 179 Old 10-30-2012, 08:36 PM
CIH USER

Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 202
Time for a reboot

Frank

post #72 of 179 Old 10-30-2012, 09:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Maybe it's official that if the theatrical original trilogy never gets released on blu ray it's in the Disney Vault. Although I am convinced the Vault is a US marketing conspiracy because when I was in Japan I noticed no Vault. I could have bought all the animated features on DVD.

I also wonder if Lucas Films will continue on schedule with the rest of the 3D releases. Maybe once all those are done and they get released in the SUPER MEGA COLLECTOR'S BOX SET we'll get the original three as we've been wanting.
post #73 of 179 Old 10-30-2012, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post

Time for a reboot

Lucas has already penned outlines for Episodes 7, 8 and 9 which now go to Disney.
post #74 of 179 Old 10-30-2012, 09:44 PM
CIH USER

Quote:
Originally Posted by capnsmak View Post

Lol I like that

Frank

post #75 of 179 Old 10-30-2012, 09:47 PM
CIH USER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart View Post

Lucas has already penned outlines for Episodes 7, 8 and 9 which now go to Disney.

That's good I'm interested to see how it turns out. But it will be nice to reboot ep 1-3

Frank

post #76 of 179 Old 10-30-2012, 10:01 PM

Liked: 20
Here is my take: Episodes 4,5,6 (the old ones) were better because Lucas did not have total control. His best talent is his imagination. The direction and dialog had to go through some other people that happened to be very talented movie makers.

Episodes 1,2,3 were not as good because Lucas had control of everything, but guess what, he's not as good of a dialog writer, or director as he is an idea generator.

So Episodes 7,8,9 have the potential to be made by people way more talented than Lucas, yet he still is there to consult and generate his crazy/awesome ideas and contribute to the overall story.

So I am more than hopeful that the next trilogy will be very good, and even possibly the best. But even if they are terrible, I will be glad to see how Lucas envisioned the story continuing. So I don't get how any Star Wars fan could consider this "bad" news. In the worst possible case, we find out more of the story in some bad movies... and in a best case scenario, this could be the best of the three trilogies.

post #77 of 179 Old 10-30-2012, 10:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by [KYA]Mega View Post

Here is my take: this could be the best of the three trilogies.

You could be right. smile.gif Here's hoping The Simpsons don't have to do another parody or that The Family Guy's version is the most entertaining. wink.gif

What I can afford, when I can afford it...
post #78 of 179 Old 10-30-2012, 10:31 PM

Liked: 10
Holy crap, I can't take all the negativity!@$

This is exciting news, people. Disney has a knack for revitalizing dead/sinking franchises. They reinvigorated Marvel, didn't they? Thor, Captain America, Iron Man 1-3, Incredible Hulk, Avengers. All fantastic films. Pirates of the Carribean trilogy - arguably fantastic films. Star Wars, under Lucas, was/is/has been stagnant. He continues to screw with the same three movies over and over again, making them shadows of their former selves. Under new leadership/direction, they'll probably re-release the original trilogy (without all the Lucas Cut crap), and they have a treasure trove of material to utilize in books/comics/etc for new episodes to tack onto the original 6.

Keeping the Star Wars universe alive, via the Silver Screen, has been something I've been yearning for, for a good long time. I've always thought they should have tapped into the books, like the Thrawn Trilogy - or at least tap Timothy Zahn's mind for original/unique ideas, to keep the universe fresh. Then bring on one of their big-name directors, like Joss Whedon (who crushed Avengers), and let these creators fly.

I'm so happy that I'll be able to share my love for Star Wars with my daughter, who will be just old enough to begin enjoying these with me. ;]

The nay sayers can't sully this feeling. Thank God Lucas let it go - never thought I'd see the day he'd let go of his baby.

Kevin

"Imagination is everything. It is the preview of life's coming attractions." - Albert Einstein

post #79 of 179 Old 10-30-2012, 10:31 PM

2015 . . .

The Avengers 2

Justice League

Star Wars #7
post #80 of 179 Old 10-30-2012, 10:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Liked: 419
There was a time when I'd care about this more than I do. Because I really don't. I do think the films are in better hands at Disney. Lucas had no one to answer to. He surrounded himself by "yes" men. At least at Disney, you have shareholders and the board to appease. So if anyone gets the bright idea for a Jar Jar and the revenge of the Gungans movie, someone will have the balls to say, "no, I think this is a bad idea."

Growing Older But Not Up
post #81 of 179 Old 10-30-2012, 11:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Endor and Naboo get blown away by the third Death Star in Episode 7 - no more Ewoks or Gungans.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-9oos6rdfI
post #82 of 179 Old 10-30-2012, 11:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20

Muppets unite!

YOU ARE READING AVS FORUM

post #83 of 179 Old 10-31-2012, 12:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toknowshita View Post

It might be time to end Clone Wars. Wrap it up this season.
I have to say my jaw dropped when I saw this news especially considering they have a plan to do a new movie so soon.
I just hope that Disney gets the right creative forces behind it. I just have a fear that they are going to go too kid friendly.

LOL How old were you when you saw it first? Who do you think that SW was made to in the first place?

sent via Morse code...........

The Hun
post #84 of 179 Old 10-31-2012, 12:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Hoepfully Disney can now release the Unedited Original Trilogy on Blu-Ray now that there are no more excuses that George can say.
post #85 of 179 Old 10-31-2012, 12:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

George Lucas has always been an extremely shrewd businessman and I see this as just another very smart - if calculated - business decision. It provides a pathway for Star Wars to continue for many more years (who better than a multimedia juggernaut like Disney to shepherd them into the future) while also giving Lucas a nice financial windfall. He also finally gets the crazy "George Lucas raped my childhood" fanboys off his back; deserved or not, he's caught more than his fair share of grief from the lunatic fringe of fandom over the years and this may be his way of finally getting one last laugh at their expense, essentially telling them that since he couldn't please them, let someone else take a shot.

Yup I'm sure there is some truth to all that especially how he had enough of the lunatic "fans", and I can't blame him for that. Next to the isheep crowd, the crazy SW "fans" are the most obnoxious segment of the population to me, and no there is no pleasing of them. Kennedy is up for a rude awakening I'm afraid.

The Hun
post #86 of 179 Old 10-31-2012, 12:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I guess you haven't see Indy 4.

The Hun
post #87 of 179 Old 10-31-2012, 12:59 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 879 Post(s)
Liked: 807
Quote:
Originally Posted by Limp Fox View Post

It's not going to be the same.
Here's hoping!

Sanjay
post #88 of 179 Old 10-31-2012, 02:51 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post

There was a time when I'd care about this more than I do. Because I really don't. I do think the films are in better hands at Disney. Lucas had no one to answer to. He surrounded himself by "yes" men. At least at Disney, you have shareholders and the board to appease. So if anyone gets the bright idea for a Jar Jar and the revenge of the Gungans movie, someone will have the balls to say, "no, I think this is a bad idea."

Yes, which is why episodes 1-3 were so disappointing. No one dared to tell him that cramming more and more effects into each frame, just because he could, was a bad idea. Maybe spend some time on cleaning up clunky/dumb dialogue instead?

Have a look at this, which tells you why episode two was the worst thing ever made by a human:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CfBhi6qqFLA&feature=relmfu
post #89 of 179 Old 10-31-2012, 03:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked: 300
I, for one, think this change is great. 35 years is a long time to be tethered to the imagination of one man. Granted, i am by no means a "fan" of the Star Wars franchise, but I am a fan of great movies (personally, i don't think much of Episodes 1, 2, and 4-6. Do I think Disney was the right way to go? Not necessarily, but I haven't seen their proposal. This may be Disney's ticket to eliminating their image as a child-centric organization and I think Lucasfilm had to go somewhere eventually.
post #90 of 179 Old 10-31-2012, 04:18 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Zachary Quinto might make a good villain in one of the new movies. Wonder if JJ Abrams would be any good for this?
Reply Latest Industry News

Tags
Star Wars , Lucasfilm , Disney

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page