Netflix Disc Subscriber Loss Slows Down - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 10-31-2012, 08:37 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
According to financial documents released yesterday, Netflix's third quarter report saw a huge loss of 634,000 disc subscribers. However, that is still better than their second quarter, where they lost 849,000 disc subscribers. So this is actually a good sign for the company.

Quote:
Netflix, which continues to focus attention and resources marketing, supplying and distributing subscription video-on-demand, ended Q3 with 8.5 million disc subscribers. This tally also includes subs that pay for both physical and streaming.

In the first quarter (ended March 31), Netflix lost more than 1 million disc subscribers to finish the period with 10 million. That loss paled in comparison to the fourth quarter in 2011 when the Los Gatos, Calif.-based service lost 2.76 million disc subs after it implemented a 60% price hike in Q3 for the popular hybrid disc/streaming rental plan.

Nextflix has no plans on investing in disc support:
Quote:
Netflix said it does not expect future investments in DVD content, technology or marketing to be material. It said current and future expenses for disc rentals are variable. As a result, contribution margins for disc are expected to increase slightly for the remainder of the year despite ongoing subscriber declines.

This is sort of good news for Netflix but still a sign that we are headed to a disc-less world. What do you think?

Get all your A/V news at: AVS Latest News
Like AVS Forum on Facebook
Follow AVS Forums on Twitter
Wanna join the AVS Forum news staff? Contact me!
.......................................................................................
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 10-31-2012, 10:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 223
After 7 years I just dumped Netflix. Not because I'm moving to streaming but because I can no longer justify paying extra for Blu-rays when Netflix doesn't even bother stocking them.

Streaming sucked when it came out and it still sucks. I tried to watch a movie on Amazon Instant Video last night (free coupon) and a 90 minute movie took over 2 hours due to buffering. That after 10 minutes just trying to find a movie worth watching.

post #3 of 4 Old 10-31-2012, 01:15 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by repete66211 View Post

After 7 years I just dumped Netflix. Not because I'm moving to streaming but because I can no longer justify paying extra for Blu-rays when Netflix doesn't even bother stocking them.
Streaming sucked when it came out and it still sucks. I tried to watch a movie on Amazon Instant Video last night (free coupon) and a 90 minute movie took over 2 hours due to buffering. That after 10 minutes just trying to find a movie worth watching.

I wholly agree with you on the amazon front. Netflix, at least for myself, has been a pretty good streaming service (through an ATV3) but, I have a 50 Mbps WAN connection and Netflix has always had the bandwidth on their end to fill it. Maybe Netflix (and other pay-for-stream) providers should offer a simple network diagnostic tool bundled with the app. With a tool like that, people could make an informed choice regarding the quality/experience they're going to get. Then again, they do offer a "free" 1 month trial which is _sort_ of the same thing, only with a CC number involved.
post #4 of 4 Old 10-31-2012, 05:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 101
I had few problems with streaming (over 10-15 Mbps cable modem), but the selection for streaming and disc got more and more frustrating. When there were only two BDs in my queue and maybe 40 "saved" choices that they never stocked, I threw in the towel, quit Netflix a month ago, and watched the other two movies in my queue on Vudu with good PQ and audio. The Vudu selection isn't that hot, either, but at least we aren't paying $25 a month without watching any movies.

AT&T U-Verse Northeast Ohio

Denon x4000, Samsung LED TV, B&W 704 mains, two M&K subwoofers, Oppo 103, etc.
Reply Latest Industry News

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page