New Ruling Confirms Copying DVDs is Illegal - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 491 Old 11-21-2012, 05:50 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Sweet! Whether something comes out of this or not, I am glad someone in Congress gets this
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 491 Old 11-22-2012, 05:05 AM

Liked: 37
Interesting article.

Tell you what though, for a tech site, most of the comments on the article are incredibly ignorant.
post #273 of 491 Old 11-22-2012, 11:02 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by vincecooks View Post

A simple solution, legally, would be to let content purchasers rip/copy their media for personal use/flexibility/backup, but not to let them burn that content back to optical disc format. Things like SD cards complicate the issue a bit, but as far as selling counterfeit copies goes, being prevented from returning the content to the original medium would be a big deterrent to illegal distribution. Enforcement, as always, complicates the issue further but one way to implement a policy like this would be to police the software creators. Disallow the compression/burning part of the software bit allow the decryption/ripping. Who knows, if a policy like that was successful maybe DRM/encryption would be deemed unnecessary.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Roddey View Post

It sounds like you are talking about commercial piracy, which I don't think is the real concern anymore. No one really cares about burning it back onto a medium, all that matters is ripping it so it can be gotten onto disc, and hence to the internet. That's the issue. I think that commercial pirates are probably ultimately doomed by the internet as well. Though anyone with the resources to engage in larger scale commercial piracyprobably wouldn't have much problem getting around any such limitations anyway. Burners must exist, in order to the create the (legitimate) originals, and if they exist they can be purchased.
Quote:
Originally Posted by defmoot View Post

Haven't followed this thread or the issues involved, but fwiw:
Rep. Darrell Issa Wants To Make It Clear That You're Allowed To Rip Your DVDs...

So Mr Issa agrees with me, even if Mr Roddey doesn't...
post #274 of 491 Old 11-22-2012, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fritzi93 View Post

Interesting article.
Tell you what though, for a tech site, most of the comments on the article are incredibly ignorant.

Yeah! I noticed the same
post #275 of 491 Old 11-22-2012, 01:31 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by vincecooks View Post

So Mr Issa agrees with me, even if Mr Roddey doesn't...

Ummm.... I've said at least three times on this thread that no one cares if you rip your own legally purchased content and can point to it on the shelf. There's just no way anyone is going to waste time on that.

Dean Roddey
Chairman/CTO, Charmed Quark Systems, Ltd

www.charmedquark.com

post #276 of 491 Old 11-22-2012, 05:37 PM

Liked: 36
Quote:

Ummm.... I've said at least three times on this thread that no one cares if you rip your own legally purchased content and can point to it on the shelf. There's just no way anyone is going to waste time on that.

They DO care and, unfortunately, that is exactly what the new ruling makes clear - you CANNOT rip your own DVD content for any reason, whatsoever.

"Play the volume as loud as you want - but don't touch my levels now. I got them set just like I like them"
post #277 of 491 Old 11-22-2012, 06:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

As both you and I have said though, there's no way you are going to have any problems if you are ripping your legally owned discs and not sharing them. Absolutely no one will ever know, and there would be zero incentive to do anything to you for it. It would gain them nothing, cost them dearly in public sentiment, and you aren't the manufacturer of the software, just using it. I would have zero paranoia about ripping my own DVDs that I legally own, or even rented discs as long as I don't keep them around after I've sent back the dics. As long as I'm not sharing them I have as much chance of anyone even taking notice as I would have ever had, which is zero. Hell, it's almost zero if you are sharing them.

Dean Roddey

www.charmedquark.com

post #278 of 491 Old 11-23-2012, 06:42 AM

Quote:

As both you and I have said though, there's no way you are going to have any problems if you are ripping your legally owned discs and not sharing them. Absolutely no one will ever know, and there would be zero incentive to do anything to you for it. It would gain them nothing, cost them dearly in public sentiment, and you aren't the manufacturer of the software, just using it. I would have zero paranoia about ripping my own DVDs that I legally own, or even rented discs as long as I don't keep them around after I've sent back the dics. As long as I'm not sharing them I have as much chance of anyone even taking notice as I would have ever had, which is zero. Hell, it's almost zero if you are sharing them.

I am with you, in spirit, but there are many scenarios where the content providers may know in the future. Recall the earlier discussion on Cinavia - which I continue to preach as a part of a larger strategy that I believe will be successful. Imagine, for example, that instead of stopping playback, a similar watermark differentiates the content as having originated from optical plastic, as opposed to purchased and downloaded from iTunes. Your Apple TV carries detection software, as mandated by its license with Netflix (which was mandated by Sony to allow distribution of its content by Netflix). The Blu-ray player vendors are already under such restraints and stretching that cover commercial streamers is a no-brainer.

All of this may become moot, since, like the music industry's stated cancellation of CD production, I think distribution of movies on optical plastic will come to an end as soon as the Internet infrastructure can support it - today, it cannot, despite what an earlier poster stated.

"Play the volume as loud as you want - but don't touch my levels now. I got them set just like I like them"
post #279 of 491 Old 11-23-2012, 04:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 173
For the Best Internet provision - Norway - 26 Xs Faster. Japan 16Xs Faster. Some Third World Countries, up to 8Xs Faster.
No wonder North Americans are falling further behind!

All the above will be moot, once they start implanting chips in newborn babies heads!

Direct Connect Baby!
post #280 of 491 Old 11-24-2012, 07:24 PM

confused.gif
post #281 of 491 Old 11-25-2012, 10:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
There are some stupid comments in this thread. Norway has better internet? Nobody cares, least of all content creation companies. Why? Because no one lives there (relatively speaking.)

Content creation companies want to sell you content. I know...crazy, right? They don't care if it's on disc. They exist to make a profit. If nobody wants to pay anything, they'll go out of business and the content that you want will no longer be made. It's not a difficult concept to understand.
The only Internet speeds that matters are in the areas where lots of *paying* customers exist.
post #282 of 491 Old 11-26-2012, 06:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 192
In response to Congressman Issa's comments - the copy protection schemes on dvd and bluray are patented technologies. The software that breaks them infringes on those patents.

You can bet the bluray alliance and the dvd cca are not going to start selling ripping software. What would happen then - something like the Kaleidescape method? Where you copy the entire disc to your hard drive WITH drm in tact, and you still need a supported licensed player for playback?

My HTPC front end set up
Integration for whole home ATSC, CableCARD, FM radio, Blu-Ray, HD-DVD, DVD, VHS control & capture, video games, and archived & streaming media playback
Mironto's Panasonic plasma black level restoration guide
Restore the initial MLL on a 2009 Panasonic plasma
post #283 of 491 Old 11-26-2012, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BizarroTerl View Post

Yeah, I'm going to delete all my rips right now. MPAA/RIAA hold your breath. rolleyes.gif

I'm in your camp wink.gif I was thinking just the other night what other product can you buy that forces you to watch threats of prison and fines before you can even get to the content.

BTW: Is there somewhere to set notify immediately to default on this site?

Floyd

A lie can travel halfway around the world before the truth gets its shoes on. -- Mark Twain
post #284 of 491 Old 11-26-2012, 02:20 PM
AVS Addicted Member

As to the RIAA, this isn't anything to do with them, so that's irrelevant. They don't use any copy protection on CDs, and they've long indicated on their web site that they have no problem with you ripping your own legally owned CDs to your hard drive for your own personal use. Presumably that's still the case. But of course they are still treated as though they are some sort of evil secret society out to control the world's governments or something.

Dean Roddey

www.charmedquark.com

post #285 of 491 Old 11-26-2012, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veeper View Post

I hate to tell you this jack, but the fact that you're posting here on a computer puts you in the top 1% of the world. Please though, keep enlightening us on this "circle" of wealth.

Top 1% of what in the world? Your statement reminds me of a survey done about seven years ago in which 20% of the people in the U.S. thought they were in the top 1% of wealth. If you have to think about whether or not your in the circle of wealth, rest assured you are not.

Floyd

A lie can travel halfway around the world before the truth gets its shoes on. -- Mark Twain
post #286 of 491 Old 11-26-2012, 03:19 PM

Quote:

As to the RIAA, this isn't anything to do with them, so that's irrelevant. They don't use any copy protection on CDs, and they've long indicated on their web site that they have no problem with you ripping your own legally owned CDs to your hard drive for your own personal use. Presumably that's still the case. But of course they are still treated as though they are some sort of evil secret society out to control the world's governments or something.

I agree with this. They will let you make copies of your own CDs, but each copy cannot be further copied. That keeps regular people from burning 50 copies that can be further copied and selling them. A very sensible approach. I think it is the Millennium Copyright act that pi**es everyone off.

post #287 of 491 Old 11-26-2012, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsoccer33 View Post

In response to Congressman Issa's comments - the copy protection schemes on dvd and bluray are patented technologies. The software that breaks them infringes on those patents.

And the copy protection schemes infringe on established fair use rights. Keeps the lawyers busy if nothing else wink.gif
post #288 of 491 Old 11-26-2012, 10:43 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floydster View Post

I agree with this. They will let you make copies of your own CDs, but each copy cannot be further copied. That keeps regular people from burning 50 copies that can be further copied and selling them. A very sensible approach. I think it is the Millennium Copyright act that pi**es everyone off.

No one cares about burning copies and selling them, it's putting them in a folder and sharing it. And that's the problem.

Dean Roddey

www.charmedquark.com

post #289 of 491 Old 11-27-2012, 11:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I'm surprised that the copyright nannies haven't filed lawsuits against manufacturers of devices that enable streaming, etc..

Think about it - if it's illegal to rip DVD and blu-ray to your computer, and if it's illegal to build a collection of shows recorded from TV, then the primary use of these streamers is to stream illegally obtained media.

If you sue all the hardware and software makers out of business, there won't be hardware to enable easy access to your "illegal" media collection.
post #290 of 491 Old 11-27-2012, 11:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebberry View Post

I'm surprised that the copyright nannies haven't filed lawsuits against manufacturers of devices that enable streaming, etc..

Think about it - if it's illegal to rip DVD and blu-ray to your computer, and if it's illegal to build a collection of shows recorded from TV, then the primary use of these streamers is to stream illegally obtained media.

If you sue all the hardware and software makers out of business, there won't be hardware to enable easy access to your "illegal" media collection.

The answer is easy: the primary use for the streaming devices is to stream legal user-created content. You know, stupid phone-recorded HD videos of the baby or the dog doing cute crap, or of family vacations, etc.

Is the above actually true? In many situations, no, of course not. But it's a foolproof easy defense. And sometimes it's even the truth.
post #291 of 491 Old 11-28-2012, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNO821 View Post

The answer is easy: the primary use for the streaming devices is to stream legal user-created content. You know, stupid phone-recorded HD videos of the baby or the dog doing cute crap, or of family vacations, etc.
Is the above actually true? In many situations, no, of course not. But it's a foolproof easy defense. And sometimes it's even the truth.

Sounds like you don't have any kids... smile.gif

You would be surprised how many people store HD videos from camcorders and want to see them on their TVs - if you look at the supported video formats for the Sony players, it's all about AVC and the associated file/folder structures generated by camcorders - not what's used by Blu-rays and DVDs. The addition of MKV is something new for Sony - they held out as long as they could.

post #292 of 491 Old 11-28-2012, 11:38 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by bravia3D View Post

What is next with these idiots? Soon they will say NO ONE can buy movies anymore or own them because it's illegal. They will want us to rent them or stream them for a fee and we can't keep them. This seems pretty much where it's going in the future.

What would be next is saying that when I purchase my DVD, that means only I can watch it. If my wife or kids want to watch it with me, they'll need to buy their own copy.

wink.gif
post #293 of 491 Old 11-28-2012, 12:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26

The Mod Squad: New vs. Classic TV Series Opening https://vimeo.com/63119329
post #294 of 491 Old 11-28-2012, 12:02 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirnak View Post

I'm sure Industry executives would love nothing more than to have each movie you buy licensed to a particular device. If your Bluray player dies, you have to re-buy all of your movies to use with your new Bluray player.

That's pretty much what Garmin had done. You could buy maps that you registered with specific devices, but if you got a new device (from THEIR company), you'd have to buy another map for it.
post #295 of 491 Old 11-28-2012, 01:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterB123 View Post

I'm sure Industry executives would love nothing more than to have each movie you buy licensed to a particular device. If your Bluray player dies, you have to re-buy all of your movies to use with your new Bluray player.

I'm sure you're right. They'd love to do that but the fact is that the market will not bear it. People have only a certain amount of disposable income. It's not going to increase. If they tighten their grip too much, people will simply turn their attention elsewhere, such as amusing Youtube videos. There's just too many entertainment options out there anymore.
Don Landis likes this.
post #296 of 491 Old 11-28-2012, 06:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sebberry View Post

They sort of have. I believe at one point that tried to insist that companies could not store a single copy of each movie or song, once for every user on the 'cloud' who had legal access to it but wanted the 'cloud' and streaming companies to store a separate copy for every single user on the network who had legal access to the title.
post #297 of 491 Old 11-28-2012, 07:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Wow, that post is pretty case in point why the industry is screwed. Movie and music companies are now among the least protected industries on the planet, well other than the drug and sex trades I guess. They have almost completely lost their rights, rights which are specifically laid out in the Constitution, not something that they purchased. Google, Apple, Amazon, Comcast, etc... are the real power bases these days, but somehow people try to make out like the music and movie industries are running the country. It ain't so.
People in Congress understand what intellectual property based industries mean to this country. We aren't an industrial country anymore. We are an ideas country these days, and the fruits of some of our only industries in which we are undisputed leaders is being ripped off by everyone. If the IP based industries reach the point where it's just not worth taking substantial financial risks to create new products and companies, we are going to be in a bad way. And it clearly can go that far. It's hardly been any time since the internet became what it is today, and look at the damage it's already done.
If insuring that they not only survive but thrive means you actually have to insert a disc in a player, I'm having a little trouble crying a river for you. If everyone would put as much energy into applying peer pressure to the people around them to stop stealing as they do condemning the IP industries for trying to protect themselves from this threat, we might not be even having this conversation.

Maybe if the RIAA gave a ### about people losing all their PAID FOR lossless files from say Music Giants, they who forced MG to use DRM, we might care. They can lock people out of accessing 24bit and higher sample rate audio on PCs, legit copies, and you make it so can't even get out of the discs what it promises on the box until recently and you go through hoops involving non-commercial software (nevermind only one in a million pirates,if even, would ever care about bus snooping to try to copy a super hi-def audio track from a movie) and they can laugh if all the files you bought turn into worthless bits because of companies going under and DRM. All of the game and music and movie companies and distributors act like they will be around forever, but that never happens, they fail and then people are left with worthless junk that they paid for (and the people who pirated are left with functioning copies!).
post #298 of 491 Old 11-28-2012, 07:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Of course there's a difference, just like there's a differerence between people who drive responsibly and those and those who don't or who use guns responsibly and those who don't. The problem is that the law cannot pre-distinguish between them. That's just the way it is. If enough people abuse something, then all of us end up losing because of the need to stop them. If as many people drove recklessly as download music, I'm pretty sure that those of us who do drive responsibly would nonetheless be looking at a lot more restrictions on our driving.

BS, the law can easily distinguish between ripping a copy to put on your own non-shared HD and ripping stuff to put up on a shared server!
post #299 of 491 Old 11-28-2012, 07:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

If it were that simple, again, we wouldn't be having this conversation. File sharing could easily be stopped in such a situation, but that situation doesn't exist. A huge amount of time is spent out there by people to make it possible to steal digital media without getting caught or noticed. And of course the people who are in the best position to do so really don't want to do it, e.g. ISPs. They have every reason to try to turn a blind eye.

What does an ISP have to do with ripping your own copy for yourself? It's never even seen by your ISP.
post #300 of 491 Old 11-28-2012, 07:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dima333a View Post

P.S. I think Netflix's mode of distribution is great and fights piracy much better than any law. a) - it is affordable b) - you cannot and do not need to copy anything c) it is fairly convenient. That is the whole point of revising the industry - do not try to enforce, what you cannot enforce. Change the way you are doing business, so that enforcing is not required. There are a lot of examples when piracy is not an issue, simply because of the business model.

Personally I hate it. Streaming content has ruined the quality of audio and now video. And people then complain that their HDTV barely looks better than their old SD one. rolleyes.gif Well, try not streaming DVD quality and using a blu-ray disc instead?

Plus it is choking up a huge percentage of the internet in the US. So we have a clogged up internet where people either get stuck with slow downloads and uploads for stuff that actually needs to be done on the net or higher bills as they increase capacity and most people end up watching utterly junky quality video with poor audio.

I like owning hard content or unprotected, non-streamed, owned soft content.

I know I am now a minority I guess, but it is a shame (although itunes is close to the latter actually, the only thing lacking is that they don't offer lossless, so I'm not really that much in the minority).
Reply Latest Industry News

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page