post #361 of 495 Old 12-30-2012, 11:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor View Post

Why aren't more manufacturers making megadisc changers? As far as I know, the only blu-ray changer to ever hit the market (two models) was made by Sony. They have constant technical issues, thus making them a risky and expensive purchase (not to mention they're all used at this point).

For one, I think manufacturers probably see them as a warranty nightmare.

Second, the megadisc changers are going after that very slim demographic of people who 1) don't want to spend a minute finding something on the shelf and putting it into the player, and 2) haven't already ripped their content.

With the mega changers, you still have to sift through menus, warnings, etc... that clutter up the movie experience. If you don't care about the menus and warnings, then you probably don't care about finding the movie on the shelf.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 495 Old 01-06-2013, 12:15 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 26
All those laws will not stop piracy, there will be still millions getting movies illegaly in any format from the internet or from the flea market, Poeple who copy movies for profit they know they are breaking the law what such regulation will change for them and poeple who get movies illegaly either because they have bad mind or they just can't afford to buy $30 movie such law will not change anything either, therefore they are not going to change their wrong doing, and poeple who do know the law and bought the movie legaly they are not going to buy the movie again, So what financial gain is going to bring them by such regulation? Nothing, other than maybe some legal fees if they do go after copying software makers.
post #363 of 495 Old 01-12-2013, 12:51 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floydster View Post

Every disc I have ever rented has all kinds of warnings. You must be talking about streaming, on which I haven't seen any warnings. In any court however ignorance of the law will never get you off. But, I agree with someone in this thread who posted that door to door swat teams will never happen.

I've seen warnings on a bunch of UV streams including Vudu HDX streams. Some of these even have multiple warnings (to include the two new warnings) that I've typically only seen used on physically media. What's odd is that for some of those titles a blu-ray doesn't exist. Thus it makes me believe that the studios are actually sitting on a blu-ray encode but just haven't released it yet and they've repurposed the blu-ray encode for streaming.
post #364 of 495 Old 01-13-2013, 09:23 PM

Liked: 10
What is bad is that no meaningful legal reform will occur until some kind of serious intellectual property rights agreement with China is in place.
post #365 of 495 Old 01-13-2013, 10:06 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
**** em I will do as I please within my own home with any dvd or BR I bought.

Go get the pirates and quit ****ing with average Joe.............................
post #366 of 495 Old 01-22-2013, 04:55 PM
wse
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 536 Post(s)
Liked: 363

Except if you are super rich and can afford Kaleidescape :(

post #367 of 495 Old 01-23-2013, 07:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Roddey View Post

That's just not a valid argument. Let's say you sell vegetables, and you have a machine that can copy those vegetables, but it costs you $50,000,000 investment to grow the first of each new type of vegetable. You create five varieties for a quarter billion, and you start copying them and selling them. Then people start coming along and steal half of them. You can make new copies to replace those, but they get stolen as well, then other people start copying them and putting them out for people to take. You can make more copies of your own, and you still have as many vegetables as you started with, but your revenues relative to your investment keep going down. The fact that you have vegetables still doesn't make any difference. The bank won't take vegetables as mortgage payment, and you can't keep finding more people to buy them, because anyone who wants them can just take them.

Word gets out that it's easy to steal your vegetables, so more and more people start stealing them. You show up on a forum where people are talking about how to do it, and you complain, and they say, look we aren't taking anything from you. You can create new ones. Some people still buy your vegetables so why are you complaining?

But you of course are looking at another $50M to create another variety, and the fact that more and more people are going to just steal them, and that being able to make more of them isn't going to help because it's the revenues from the sales of the vegetables that you need in order to continue forward. Eventually you are going to just say, oh well, screw it. It's not worth doing.

I always got a kick out of these sorts of photos::

HT: Yamaha RX-V565 | 3 X Energy Take FPS, 2 X VS Surround, 2 X Take LCR | DIY Subs: SDX12 APR15 & TRIO12 Dual APR 12's | 47" LCD

Music: Yamaha RX-V863 | 2 X Energy RC-70 | MA RXw12 Sub

Bathroom: 2 X Energy Take LCR

Car: Sony Xplod HU, Xplod 6X9s, Kenwood 4"s, Alpine 12" Type-S, Rockford Amp,...

post #368 of 495 Old 01-23-2013, 11:16 AM

Liked: 16
post #369 of 495 Old 01-23-2013, 11:26 AM
AVS Special Member

How did this thread go from "Copying DVDs is illegal" to one discussing piracy?

Last I checked, someone ripping a legally purchased and owned DVD to their own computer for their own use isn't piracy.
post #370 of 495 Old 01-23-2013, 12:02 PM

post #371 of 495 Old 01-23-2013, 12:14 PM
Senior Writer @ AVS

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1447 Post(s)
Liked: 2727
It's such an exaggeration when applied to the simple act of backing up one's movies. By the same logic, driving 10 miles/hr over the limit on the highway should be called 'attempted murder' and Jaywalking should be called 'attempted suicide with intent to harm others'.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PobjoySpecial View Post

It's illegal, so what would you call it?

pi·ra·cy [pahy-ruh-see] Show IPA
noun, plural pi·ra·cies.
practice of a pirate; robbery or illegal violence at sea.
the unauthorized reproduction or use of a copyrighted book, recording, television program, patented invention, trademarked product, etc.: The record industry is beset with piracy.
Also called stream capture. Geology . diversion of the upper part of one stream by the headward growth of another.

Find out more about Mark Henninger at www.imagicdigital.com
post #372 of 495 Old 01-23-2013, 12:25 PM

post #373 of 495 Old 01-23-2013, 12:45 PM

post #374 of 495 Old 01-23-2013, 12:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'm also inclined to believe that people with digital rips are much more likely to share their content with family and friends while still retaining a copy for themselves. In the past, you'd need two DVDs to do that as well.

Ah, ok. So charge people with crimes of piracy simply because they have the ability to make copies for illegal distribution. Using that logic, charge anyone who has purchased a DVD from the store with piracy too. After all, someone with a physical disc is more likely to make copies and distribute them than someone without a disc.
post #375 of 495 Old 01-23-2013, 01:06 PM

post #376 of 495 Old 01-23-2013, 02:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Can you please demonstrate to me what the actual damages are to the content creator/copyright holder if someone who owns a legally purchased DVD rips that DVD to his computer for watching privately in home or on a portable device?
post #377 of 495 Old 01-23-2013, 04:19 PM

post #378 of 495 Old 01-27-2013, 11:46 PM

Quote:

1) Does it really matter? Intellectual property law gives studios the right to sell their goods as they see fit. DVDs are sold under the condition that playback occur in an industry-sanctioned device.

If a bunch of high school kids wanted to smoke pot on your front yard, do you need to prove their actions will result in actual damages before kicking them off? No. Property rights give you, the owner, the right to choose who steps foot on your land.

2) The actual damages are obvious, but intangible: future lost sales. Maybe not lost sales from you, but lost sales in a system with lax intellectual property laws. Less stigmatization of and a lower barrier of entry to theft will cause more people will steal. How many people download songs from Youtube and think nothing of it? Millions.

Copying DVDs is piracy because the aggregate actions of everyone is deleterious. First, to the studios producing content. Then, to the consumers of that content. The studios are out to a make a buck like everyone else and they have a right too. Society gives you a right as well, the right to vote with your dollars.

You quoted the poster but didn't answer his simple question.
post #379 of 495 Old 01-28-2013, 02:04 PM

post #380 of 495 Old 01-28-2013, 02:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

2) The actual damages are obvious, but intangible: future lost sales.

How so?
post #381 of 495 Old 01-28-2013, 03:35 PM

post #382 of 495 Old 01-28-2013, 11:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Maybe not lost sales from you, but lost sales in a system with lax intellectual property laws. Less stigmatization of and a lower barrier of entry to theft will cause more people to steal. How many people download songs from Youtube and think nothing of it? Millions.

I'd argue the other way... all the restrictions being placed on content are more likely to increase rates of piracy since pirated materials are widely available with content protection already removed.

Don't tell me you actually agree that ripping a DVD (your own DVD that you paid for) so you can watch it on your (insert any device you own here) should be illegal.
post #383 of 495 Old 01-29-2013, 05:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Sure I did. I'll give you the cliff notes version.

1) Does it really matter?

Answering a question with a question is not answering it, in fact. how are any damages incurred for buying a disc, and ripping it for personal use ? There are 0.0 losses to anyone.

HT: Yamaha RX-V565 | 3 X Energy Take FPS, 2 X VS Surround, 2 X Take LCR | DIY Subs: SDX12 APR15 & TRIO12 Dual APR 12's | 47" LCD

Car: Sony Xplod HU, Xplod 6X9s, Kenwood 4"s, Alpine 12" Type-S, Rockford Amp,...

post #384 of 495 Old 01-29-2013, 05:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

In any case, it's irrelevant. Illegally reproducing copyrighted content is piracy. That's my point. If you use a program to break the encryption on a DVD, per the DMCA you are breaking the law. If you proceed to make a copy of said DVD, you are committing piracy. I don't know what you are trying to argue. That it's morally O.K.? That's irrelevant to our original tiff:
I assert that it is.
You assert that it is? Only because someone 'defined' it, and is trying to brainwash everyone with said definition? Remember the book 1984 ? Just because the "law" says chocolate rations are up this week, doesn't necessarily make it true. The traditional sense of the word piracy is the act of illegally taking something that belongs to someone else, ie, downloading. I don't think many people would argue that. You will never convince me that copying my all my digital media to a local HDD for streaming capabilities throughout my home is piracy. What, am I stealing from myself confused.gif ?

post #385 of 495 Old 01-29-2013, 02:24 PM

Quote:

Sure I did. I'll give you the cliff notes version.

1) Does it really matter?

1) Does it really matter? If it doesn't matter why would they spend $$$$$ lobying for such regulation?

2) The actual damages are obvious, but intangible future lost sales How? Unless you mean I have to buy the digital format from them too, nobody with a decent brain would buy a movie twice, besides I don't want their crappy digital copy I want my 1080p digital copy that I paid for
post #386 of 495 Old 01-29-2013, 04:36 PM

post #387 of 495 Old 01-29-2013, 04:46 PM

post #388 of 495 Old 01-30-2013, 02:34 AM

The government has nothing to do with it, most of the pirated copies of movies come from outside the country, and the media corporation has to adapt to the fact that they can't have the full cake somebody will always have to slash a piece out of it, they are making a lot of money already with piracy at full steam otherwise how do you explain an actor getting few millions for few hours of acting, The studios and media corporation just don't get it, by such regulation they are attacking their customers base the ones who actualy buy their product to enjoy it, those pirates don't care about any regulation because they do it for a living.
post #389 of 495 Old 01-30-2013, 03:56 PM

post #390 of 495 Old 01-31-2013, 03:02 AM

Well I don't like my tax hard working money to be used for protecting the welthiest businesses, If the governement has to protect someone that will be the majority of us, But i think will have to put the governement aside they can't even protect our country, politicians are corrupted by money from the lobbiests they can't even decide for themselves.
Reply Latest Industry News

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page