Forum Jump: 

post #481 of 491 Old 02-12-2013, 12:43 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by PobjoySpecial View Post

There's no intention to sling mud. The argument was that owning a VHS tape does not entitle someone to illegally download a high resolution copy. It was primarily aimed at Lone Cloud, who openly admitted to piracy.

Perhaps this was a joke also, however I did not laugh. I did not "openly admit to piracy", as you write. But the very first post I made in this thread pointed to the unfortunate and rude habit of some to falsely attribute thoughts or actions to others. It is a tactic of big talking but do nothing radio blabbermouths. I am expecting that you are a regular listener of these embarassments to the nation.

I never did or would use those words or equivalents. You didn't ask, but then, if you did, it might mean you couldn't practice what you learned in Windbag 101
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #482 of 491 Old 02-12-2013, 12:59 AM

Liked: 15
I don't download. I simply want the ability to copy my CD's/DVD's/Blu rays to a media server to utilize in my home network. The thread title says "copy", not download! But we all can agree that there is downloading content, like i-tunes and netfix movies that is perfectly legal and legitimate for those who want to enjoy said media. I don't pretend to have any moral, ethical, monetary or political superiority on anyone, and don't really care what 1%. or even 99% of the people do in regards to what or how they utilize the internet (unless it involves getting into my computer... virus', trojan programs, identity theft, etc).

My point is simply this: copying is illegal per the courts definition. When I eventually start the process of loading all the digital media I have purchased over the past few years into my server, I will become a criminal, someone who is breaking the law. I will undoubtedly do it anyway, unless I can't get my hands on the programs I may use (leaning towards MKV vs iso files, but I'm not 100% sure yet). And yes, I know there is no chance of anyone busting down my door and hauling my a$$ to jail and confiscationg my media server for evidence. Yet the fact remains, I will be committing a crime with each and every copy I rip to the server. This is insane (but then again, so is a lot of stuff that occurs around the world every day). Will my conscience bother me? Absolutely not. I consider myself a moral and ethical person, but this is not really about morals and ethics, it is about the law as it now stands, and what we do in regards to that law. (Note: I am wearing my flame suit, so if you want to rant that it is about my morals and ethics, go right ahead, but be advised, I won't respond to any of that since the last 16 pages have enough philosophy to gag many ethics professors and/or lawyers!)

What I can't figure out... if I am a criminal for copying my media, does that also make me a "pirate"? Should I start wearing an eye patch and say "arrrgh" all the time?
post #483 of 491 Old 02-12-2013, 06:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Here's another tibbit.......

Windows does not support Bluray!

Windows Media Player is NOT region free...........

So, the industry is about CONTROL!
post #484 of 491 Old 02-12-2013, 09:31 AM

Liked: 16
post #485 of 491 Old 02-12-2013, 10:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by CruelInventions View Post

I'm subscribed to this thread and I keep meaning to catch up with all the posts but have only been skimming them in the meantime. Since it's headed for a lock, I'll know that I'll be able to catch up soon enough. biggrin.gif

+1. That's a safe bet. It's almost as contentious as some of the dreaded Blu vs. HD-DVD threads during the actual format war, which incidentally, is what led me to AVS in the first place. Ha ha.
post #486 of 491 Old 02-12-2013, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PobjoySpecial View Post

You bought used VHS tapes at garage sales as an excuse to download digital movies off the internet.

Reading comprehension is apparently a lost skill. Some people just see what they want to see, just like the radio windbags do.

Your lesson plan for today is to define "For awhile" - the phrase I used . Note particularly that the expression does not identify dates and times, making it logically impossible to determine what law was in effect.

Further note that many new disks have, for some time now, provided as a benefit of purchase, the right to download the same content off the internet. Note that I stated I purchased both new and used.

You know, people are not born with the ability to understand the language. You have to learn it. Likewise, logic requires training. I advise such training before you go around accusing people of crimes.
post #487 of 491 Old 02-12-2013, 12:53 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by squeeqer View Post

Those of you who are claiming that it is illegal to back up movies you own for your own personal use are completely wrong about the DMCA and the recent copyright office "ruling" (not really a ruling but a denial of a request for an exemption).

People like you have been promulgating falsehoods about the actual state of law for years and have created unnecessary fear, uncertainty and doubt about a legal issue that is albeit unsettled but still true:

The DMCA ONLY SAYS IT IS ILLEGAL TO MAKE, SELL OR PROVIDE DECRYPTION TOOLS OR SERVICES -- IT HAS NOT YET BEEN SETTLED IN ANY COURT OF LAW IN THE USA (and I don't believe any other Country) WHETHER IT IS LEGAL OR ILLEGAL TO BUY OR USE A DECRYPTION TOOLS FOR FAIR USE PURPOSES (IE: BACKUP MOVIES THAT YOU OWN FOR YOUR OWN PERSONAL PURPOSES -- PERIOD.).
I came into this thread to see if anyone else said this already, and to say it if they hadn't. I'm glad someone did.

Also--I'm not sure this is even the "U.S. copyright office" everyone is talking about? I'm not aware of anyone in the USPTO having jurisdiction to blanketly issue rulings on what is and isn't fair use. The Librarian of Congress does; Congress built into the DMCA the authority for the Librarian of Congress to issue specific exemptions to the DMCA every three years. On 10/28/12 (three days before this thread was started) the Librarian of Congress issued a statement saying that they declined to create a fair-use exception for DVD "space shifting", saying that no court had found "space shifting" to be fair use under the law.

This is a chicken-and-egg problem. The Librarian of Congress isn't acting on their own, they're excusing themselves from the fight until the courts decide. That makes sense, since fair use doctrine is a judicially-created exception to copyright law. The doctrine has since been codified into the Copyright Act, but rather than Congress trying to clearly define what is and isn't fair use, they kept the courts' four-factor test, which basically leaves discretion to the courts to decide what is and isn't fair use.

And, here is the most important part: No appellate court in the United States has ruled that personal DVD copying is or isn't fair use. The major cases that could've decided this issue were never appealed. RealNetworks settled with studios instead of appealing the RealDVD case; UCLA won on a technicality, which saved them from having to appeal. But since no appeals court has ever actually said this is or isn't fair use, it's still an unresolved legal issue.

The studios and the companies that make DVD rippers do a little dance and go around in circles. The studios actually don't want such a case to go to the Supreme Court, because of the risk that the Court would find "space shifting" fair use and make that nationwide law. So instead they pour money into the cases and try to bankrupt the other side, or at least convince them it's cheaper to settle, before it gets that far. And then the other side settles because they're a corporation, and corporate executives have obligations to not bankrupt themselves if it's avoidable.

This is one reason I suspect the studios will never, ever go against an individual. An individual has nothing to lose and everything to gain by appealing, and the ACLU or EFF would likely step in and represent them for free. An individual facing a $500K copyright fine and the EFF both would have every incentive to appeal all the way to the Supreme Court, which could decide against the studios once and for all. So they'll probably just keep forcing corporations or organizations to settle, which usually involves making the corporation/organization remove the software to avoid spending millions on defending a lawsuit, and leave individuals alone for now.
TeflonSoul likes this.
post #488 of 491 Old 02-12-2013, 01:16 PM

Liked: 16
post #489 of 491 Old 02-12-2013, 02:30 PM

Ah. Claim once again a crime, and then call for the moderators to lock the thread.

Look, you misread and jump to wild conclusions. You should really go for the suggested training.
post #490 of 491 Old 02-12-2013, 02:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 24
warning5.gif
post #491 of 491 Old 02-13-2013, 12:41 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
But I won't have much money left after buying digital versions of my movies. Does the training cost a lot?
Reply Latest Industry News

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page