Unedited Version of Original Star Wars Trilogy Unlikely - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 75 Old 10-31-2012, 07:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
According to the Hollywood Reporter, 20th Century Fox has retained the rights to the first six movies and will own Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope forever. This pretty much crushes any chance of owning an unedited version of the original trilogy.

Quote:
One of the biggest fan questions surrounding Disney’s purchase of LucasFilm has been answered. While Disney now owns the rights to the Star Wars universe and all future films going forward, 20th Century Fox has retained the rights to the first six movies. The original film, Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope, is theirs forever, and they’ll own the final five films, Episodes I-III, V and VI, through May 2020. This makes the fan dream of releasing the original, unedited trilogy box set very difficult.

But there is a shred of hope.
Quote:
In 2020, the rights for the rest of the films will revert back to LucasFilm. (Now AKA Disney.) Fox still plans on releasing Episode II and III in 3D as scheduled. But let’s look at the reality of the situation. The original films, all six of them, are crucial to marketing a sequel trilogy. Episode VII is coming in 2015 so Disney will likely be forced to make some kind of deal with Fox to use those movies simply for that reason.

Are you hoping for an unedited version of the original trilogy?

Related Article: Disney To Buy Lucasfilm For $4.05 Billion; Lucas Hands Over Star Wars

Get all your A/V news at: AVS Latest News
Like AVS Forum on Facebook
Follow AVS Forums on Twitter
Wanna join the AVS Forum news staff? Contact me!
.......................................................................................
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 75 Old 11-01-2012, 08:58 AM

Who signed the dotted line on that crappy deal? Kinda like buying a car and the seller gets to keep the steering wheel. If ever there was a sure way to make a buck, it would be releasing the original trilogy on Blu-ray without all of Lucas' revisionist crap. Sure, the crappy versions sold well. The originals would sell even more as those who bought the crappy set would buy again and those who held out would dive right in. That sure is some thick red tape that keeps these versions of the movies out of reach.
post #3 of 75 Old 11-01-2012, 08:59 AM

Liked: 13
But who's to say that Fox won't release the original unedited versions now? They may have not done so because Lucas didn't want it, but maybe now that he's out of the picture they might go ahead with it, since there's money to be made in it after all.
JD NC likes this.
post #4 of 75 Old 11-01-2012, 09:13 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 40
As far as I know, it was Lucas and not Fox who insisted that only the special editions could be released from now on. If so, then obviously Lucas had the contractual rights to prevent Fox from distributing the original unedited films without his OK. Given the price tag of the deal, it's probable that all of Lucas's rights, vis a vis Fox, including Lucas's right of refusal, now belong to Disney. Disney has no reason to stand in the way of Fox releasing the originals the way Lucas did. For both Disney and Fox, it's just a question of whether a box set of the restored originals would sell well. I think we know the answer to that.

So the key question is whether Lucas has retained any ability to prevent Fox from releasing the unedited trilogy. If the deal was a clean transfer of all of Lucas's rights in the company and brand to Disney (and for $4B, it certainly should be), then a new release of the original films just requires coordination between Disney and Fox, the same way that it would have required coordination between Lucas and Fox prior to the deal.

Here's hoping...

post #5 of 75 Old 11-01-2012, 09:35 AM

I'm sure a mountain of paperwork was involved in this deal. Whatever the deal was in regard to releasing the original trilogy, it will certainly make sense to get them underway and release them in time to promote the new trilogy.
post #6 of 75 Old 11-01-2012, 12:39 PM - Thread Starter

Personally I don't understand why they wouldn't release the unedited trilogy. It would be a cash cow. But perhaps I do not know all the details.

Get all your A/V news at: AVS Latest News
Like AVS Forum on Facebook
Follow AVS Forums on Twitter
Wanna join the AVS Forum news staff? Contact me!
.......................................................................................
post #7 of 75 Old 11-01-2012, 12:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 46
The real money in the franchise is in its future movies. I know there is a vocal minority still waiting for a high quality release the unaltered OT, but unfortunately for those fans that represents a very small segmet of the possible money Disney can make off the franchise.

I hardly think it would be the cash cow that some are making it out to be. The six-film boxset that came out last fall was a pretty big seller. Its only the most ardent diehards that refused to buy it because the UOT was not included.

It will be released at some point, but don't expect it prior to the new movies.

post #8 of 75 Old 11-01-2012, 01:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 80
They did not get my money for the BR. I still just have the DVD's and VCR tapes of the original movies. I will not buy the BR of the newer versions of the first trilogy.

It ain't easy being green.
My System
post #9 of 75 Old 11-01-2012, 02:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
Are you hoping for an unedited version of the original trilogy?

Nope. Last years BD set release was great, Star Wars never looked better. People in love with the original version can hold onto their DVD's and VCR tapes as they like, its their lost to only cherish the original adaption of the film. cool.gif

Oppo Beta Group
post #10 of 75 Old 11-01-2012, 02:17 PM

Liked: 13
I think one critical thing to also consider is that even if they won't make boat loads of cash by releasing the originals on BR, it should still be profitable, and, perhaps more importantly, it will create good will with the "hardcore" fans (of which I'm sure there are many with Star Wars).

This will in turn give those fans confidence that Disney is handling things well, and they will be more willing to support new initiatives that Disney takes with the Star Wars brand (e.g. the new trilogy).
post #11 of 75 Old 11-01-2012, 02:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 115
I specifically did not buy the BR because it is not the originals. Granted, the fact that I had read that the transfer to HD wasnt done very well didnt help the case either. However, lets hope that they do release it to BR in original form as I would really like to see star wars in HD next time I watch it.

Trying to enjoy the simple things in life.

Steam: madbrayniak

post #12 of 75 Old 11-01-2012, 02:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 48
cant say this wasn't expected; the bad news is even IF fox wanted to release the original unaltered trilogy Disney might block them because "they own it now tongue.gif ". also is there a 1080p version of the wallpaper in the first post

pcm=potato
bitstream=patato
post #13 of 75 Old 11-01-2012, 02:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Does anyone else feel it would be UN-Disney-like to show Han shooting first? Disney has made some good action movies, but they still have that wholesome values air about them that I wonder if because Lucas had Greedo shoot first that Disney would keep it that way.
post #14 of 75 Old 11-01-2012, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarm87 View Post

cant say this wasn't expected; the bad news is even IF fox wanted to release the original unaltered trilogy Disney might block them because "they own it now tongue.gif ". also is there a 1080p version of the wallpaper in the first post

Disney can't block Fox from releasing Star Wars (1-6) on DVD/BD in any versions. That deal (Fox and Lucasfilm) continues until 2020 except New Hope #4 which Fox owns forever.
post #15 of 75 Old 11-01-2012, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anikun07 View Post

Does anyone else feel it would be UN-Disney-like to show Han shooting first? Disney has made some good action movies, but they still have that wholesome values air about them that I wonder if because Lucas had Greedo shoot first that Disney would keep it that way.

It isn't up to Disney - it's up to Fox.
post #16 of 75 Old 11-01-2012, 03:26 PM

What Disney could do if they wanted to is to show the original cut of Star Wars; New Hope on television. All TV rights for SWs 1-6 are now owned by Disney
post #17 of 75 Old 11-01-2012, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAV View Post

Nope. Last years BD set release was great, Star Wars never looked better. People in love with the original version can hold onto their DVD's and VCR tapes as they like, its their lost to only cherish the original adaption of the film. cool.gif

When you say Star Wars has never looked better, do you mean the picture and sound quality in general, or the new effects that have been added since 1997? If it's the picture quality, I agree that the picture and sound of that set is stellar, which is why so many of us would like to see the original versions restored with the same care and quality. If it's the new effects and edits, I disagree, but I don't begrudge your preference for the newer effects, so long as you don't begrudge our desire to see the films as the 1977-1983 audiences saw them. To lose a piece of film history like the 1977 cut of Star Wars to obscurity would be everyone's loss.

post #18 of 75 Old 11-01-2012, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart View Post

Disney can't block Fox from releasing Star Wars (1-6) on DVD/BD in any versions. That deal (Fox and Lucasfilm) continues until 2020 except New Hope #4 which Fox owns forever.

This is what's so confusing about the deal. We know that Lucas was adamantly opposed to releasing the originals once the SEs were out. The only time the originals appeared after 97 was as a non-anamorphic "special feature" on one of the DVD sets. If Fox was in agreement with Lucas that the originals should be replaced entirely, that changes everything, but I've never heard that Fox (or anyone besides Lucas) was opposed to keeping the originals around alongside the SEs. So this means that Lucas and/or Lucasfilm had some way of preventing Fox from releasing the original versions, and so that right would presumably transfer to Disney.

We may not agree with Lucas's reasons for wanting to suppress the originals, but as the creator/artist, it at least makes logical sense. There's no reason for Fox or Disney to agree with Lucas's reasoning, though, especially if there's money to be made from yet another boxed set. So now that Lucas (presumably) no longer has a say, I don't see why Disney and Fox would be motivated to leave the money (and the goodwill, as Pyronaut pointed out) on the table.

Mark the date: for once, everyone here is rooting for corporate greed and opportunism to prevail! smile.gif

post #19 of 75 Old 11-01-2012, 06:15 PM

Liked: 11
I would like to see An unedited version of the original Star Wars Trilogy on Blu-Ray but I don't see it happening anytime soon. I don't see why this is such a huge issue it's not that big of a deal the current blu-rays of the saga is good enough. I think a lot make a big issue out of this for nothing.
post #20 of 75 Old 11-01-2012, 07:05 PM

Liked: 150
What is the point of not allowing me to give them my money for an unedited version?
Five28 likes this.
post #21 of 75 Old 11-01-2012, 07:31 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenkraly2004 View Post

the current blu-rays of the saga is good enough..

They really aren't.

I just cannot watch the messed around editions. The awful, dated CGI (among other travesties) causes me actual physical pain.

It's as if a classic tune you've heard many times was only available on a 78, while anything better quality was some awful '80s remix.
post #22 of 75 Old 11-01-2012, 07:38 PM

Liked: 16
I actually think there's more chance of seeing the unedited version of A New Hope since it's all Fox has to make money off of. They won't make a ton more releasing the Special Edition. The only way they'll profit is by putting out something new, which would be a Blu-Ray of the original film.
post #23 of 75 Old 11-01-2012, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybrsage View Post

What is the point of not allowing me to give them my money for an unedited version?

The studio that makes that decision is Fox. Lucas says he is retiring . . . well what if he changes his mind 2 years down the road . . . And Fox released your coveted unedited SWs trilogy on BD. . . which angers Lucas as he never wanted that to happen, so when he chooses a studio to market and release his new film . . . he avoids Fox like the plague.
post #24 of 75 Old 11-01-2012, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by batutta View Post

I actually think there's more chance of seeing the unedited version of A New Hope since it's all Fox has to make money off of. They won't make a ton more releasing the Special Edition. The only way they'll profit is by putting out something new, which would be a Blu-Ray of the original film.

They will make money releasing all 6 films in 3D on 3D BD.
post #25 of 75 Old 11-01-2012, 08:50 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Instagram goes for nearly $1 billion, but Lucas Films and the entire Star Wars Universe for only $4 billion? Disney got a deal...or Instagram was hugely overpriced. wink.gif
post #26 of 75 Old 11-01-2012, 10:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD NC View Post

When you say Star Wars has never looked better, do you mean the picture and sound quality in general, or the new effects that have been added since 1997? If it's the picture quality, I agree that the picture and sound of that set is stellar, which is why so many of us would like to see the original versions restored with the same care and quality. If it's the new effects and edits, I disagree, but I don't begrudge your preference for the newer effects, so long as you don't begrudge our desire to see the films as the 1977-1983 audiences saw them. To lose a piece of film history like the 1977 cut of Star Wars to obscurity would be everyone's loss.
The picture and sound quality in general of the series. I have the original cuts on DVD still BTW. I look forward to see what foundation of a third Trilogy, George Lucas passed to his successor and how it turns out.

Oppo Beta Group
post #27 of 75 Old 11-01-2012, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by docrings View Post

Instagram goes for nearly $1 billion, but Lucas Films and the entire Star Wars Universe for only $4 billion? Disney got a deal...or Instagram was hugely overpriced. wink.gif

Disney IMO, did get a deal. But there are a lot of caveats within the Lucasfilm deal when it comes to the 6 movies. But they did get the most profitable part right away - the merchandising. And of course to make future Star Wars movies.
post #28 of 75 Old 11-01-2012, 11:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked: 204
If Disney can afford to give 4.05billion to charity, I'm sure they will find a way to make Fox bend over and take one.

If 2020 is when my true Star Wars experience returns, then I shall wait patiently.

PSN & XBL: Epyon415
Twitch.tv: http://www.twitch.tv/epyon415
Twitter: @gundumgaming
YouTube Gameplay Videos
post #29 of 75 Old 11-01-2012, 11:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: North of Mexico, South of Oregon, Not as far east as Vegas
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by docrings View Post

Instagram was way overpriced.

"Bring out yer dead!".."Wait I'm not dead yet!"..(Sound Austrian here) "WRONG !!" (You know what happens next..)
post #30 of 75 Old 11-02-2012, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epyon415 View Post

If Disney can afford to give 4.05billion to charity, I'm sure they will find a way to make Fox bend over and take one.
If 2020 is when my true Star Wars experience returns, then I shall wait patiently.

You are ignoring the fact that if Lucas has made a deal with Fox on #4 for forever, then you will never see the original 1977 version of Star Wars. All that happens in 2020 is Fox loses both the DVD/BD and Theaterical rights for 1- 6 (but they still own #4). Such rights resort to Disney.

If Geroge Lucas doesn't want anyone to ever see his 1977 version of Star Wars, then no one ever will - not in the theater and not on any new or existing physical media. Only previous media that was released with the 1977 version will be available. If he doesn't want the 1977 version to ever be shown on any television content providers channel, he had the power to do that. . . forever.

The only person who can change that is George Lucas himself. So what has GL said about the 1977 version?
Reply Latest Industry News

Tags
Star Wars

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page