First Wii U Ad Hits the Airwaves - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 31 Old 11-01-2012, 10:31 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Nintendo rolls out the very first promo spot for their upcoming Wii U next-gen console. Check it out:

Who is planning on picking up one?

Get all your A/V news at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Like AVS Forum on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow AVS Forums on

Wanna join the AVS Forum news staff?
.......................................................................................
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 Old 11-01-2012, 11:52 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 46
I've got my Deluxe pre-ordered at Gamestop along with ZombiU and New Super Mario U. Can't wait.
post #3 of 31 Old 11-01-2012, 12:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Our hacked Wii with around 150 games hasn't even been turned on in 2012 and there doesn't appear to be anything compelling about the latest one either. Maybe when I read more about it...
post #4 of 31 Old 11-01-2012, 01:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by perpetual98 View Post

Our hacked Wii with around 150 games hasn't even been turned on in 2012 and there doesn't appear to be anything compelling about the latest one either. Maybe when I read more about it...

I agree. I've bought a few games this year but only turned the console on a couple times. Maybe once the price comes down to under $200 then it will be a consideration. But my backlog of games to play outweighs the desire to buy a new console. Unless there was an upgrade program for "remastered" games at 1080p with multi-channel audio it doesn't seem worth it. Being a young professional, I haven't found that balance between work, home life, and gaming time.
post #5 of 31 Old 11-01-2012, 06:37 PM
Advanced Member

Who gives a damn what you did with the old console? This is an all new console, with all new games, an interesting new control and second screen mechanism, the best graphics of any console out there right now, and renewed, full publisher support. Seriously, "I'm not buying a Wii U because I did not turn on my Wii in months" argument just doesn't compute. You might as well have said you weren't buying an Xbox 360 because you hadn't turned on your original Xbox in a year.
post #6 of 31 Old 11-01-2012, 07:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flavius View Post

Who gives a damn what you did with the old console? This is an all new console, with all new games, an interesting new control and second screen mechanism, the best graphics of any console out there right now, and renewed, full publisher support. Seriously, "I'm not buying a Wii U because I did not turn on my Wii in months" argument just doesn't compute. You might as well have said you weren't buying an Xbox 360 because you hadn't turned on your original Xbox in a year.

Sure it makes sense. As I explained I haven't had time to game. But why would be turn on a new console if we haven't been turning on the old one? Anyway the question was just whether or not we would get one. We said "No." Next time I'll just leave it at one word when that's the question.
post #7 of 31 Old 11-01-2012, 10:10 PM

Liked: 13
This ad doesn't really make me want to get a Wii U. I could see much better ways to show it off. They showing it more as a continuation of the Wii, just now with a touch screen. It seems their focus is on making it more of a social console than a gaming console. They should have shown both.
post #8 of 31 Old 11-02-2012, 03:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked: 196
So, let me get this straight. You have a 65" TV and when you play, you're looking at a 8" screen. Am I missing something?
post #9 of 31 Old 11-02-2012, 05:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by KidHorn View Post

So, let me get this straight. You have a 65" TV and when you play, you're looking at a 8" screen. Am I missing something?

Exactly what I was thinking...guess one has to see how it actually works in real life, but touch requires focus, tactile controls do not.

post #10 of 31 Old 11-02-2012, 05:40 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:

LOL, I was about to say the same thing! I'll see how things shake out over the next couple of years and also what kinds of games actually end up getting released. But what you mentioned is a valid concern.
post #11 of 31 Old 11-02-2012, 06:30 AM
Advanced Member

Yep have my deluxe pre ordered, will pick up Zombie U, Mario, and Assassins Creed 3 with it.
Super XP likes this.

post #12 of 31 Old 11-02-2012, 09:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Ugh. You only need to look at the small screen in front of you occasionally. Think of it like a Nintendo DS. Yes, I have a 65" screen and I'm getting the Wii U. Also an 8" screen 1 foot from your face is going to look almost as big as a 65" screen 9 feet from your face. rolleyes.gif
And in many cases you will hold the controller up and be looking at both screens simultaneously, or looking through the controller screen at something on your TV via overlay as they've demonstrated. In those cases a bigger TV would be better/.
post #13 of 31 Old 11-02-2012, 10:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 551
Quote:

It goes to show a trend of what types of games one might expect on the system. Sure the trend can change, as the focus from SNES games to Wii games. Some of us didn't like the focus on the types of games the Wii offered compared to the PS3. I love The New Super Mario Brothers on the Wii, but really it doesn't have nearly the depth of content for my tastes as say something like the PS3 (best gaming library by far).

The Wii U may very well be the most capable system, but so far they haven't shown anything that looks better or even on the same level of games on the 360 let alone the PS3.

I want it to be a system I want to have and that means I'm hoping they put out tons of great software. I was hopeful for the Wii as well and bought one. I just felt the Wii came up short on the software for games I want. It will probably be a while before the Wii has a lot I want. I like the way the new Mario looks but 1 or 2 cool looking games isn't enough to get me to purchase at this point, especially at its high price point.
post #14 of 31 Old 11-02-2012, 04:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemeat View Post

The Wii U may very well be the most capable system, but so far they haven't shown anything that looks better or even on the same level of games on the 360 let alone the PS3.

Then you haven't been looking at the right gameplay videos. Ninja Gaiden: Razor's Edge is clearly better than its PS3/360 counterparts just to give an example.

The Wii U is also very cheap compared to the launch prices of the 360 and PS3, yet more powerful.
post #15 of 31 Old 11-02-2012, 09:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Then you haven't been looking at the right gameplay videos. Ninja Gaiden: Razor's Edge is clearly better than its PS3/360 counterparts just to give an example.
The Wii U is also very cheap compared to the launch prices of the 360 and PS3, yet more powerful.

There are some multiplat games from the 360 look better than the PS3 version, but when you look at the best PS3 games versus the best 360 games the PS3 is hands down the victor. I have not doubt the Wii is more capable, I just have yet to see anything demonstrate that. A refined port of a game is nice and all but games like Uncharted on the PS3 still look better. The best looking Wii U game should look better than the best looking PS3 game, that isn't the case now but I'm sure it will be one day.

Wii U is als very cheap compared to Nea Geo launch prices and more powerful. It really isn't fair to compared something six years old versus today's price. Tech pricres drop over time. A 50" Plasma at the time the PS3 launched costed a hell of a lot more than one now and with less picture quality and features.
post #16 of 31 Old 11-03-2012, 12:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemeat View Post

It really isn't fair to compared something six years old versus today's price. Tech pricres drop over time.

I guess you haven't heard of inflation. Look on the last page of this month's Game Informer and it shows the adjusted for inflation launch price of the Wii compared to all other Nintendo consoles. Adjusted for inflation, it's barely more expensive that the original Wii was, and WAY cheaper than the NES and SNES were when launched at their $199 price tags. It's much more complicated than just "tech prices drop over time". This isn't the PC industry.
post #17 of 31 Old 11-03-2012, 01:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Still no plans to get it but I did like that Moombathon track.

The above post is 100% medically accurate

31 Days of Horror:

post #18 of 31 Old 11-04-2012, 08:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I guess you haven't heard of inflation. Look on the last page of this month's Game Informer and it shows the adjusted for inflation launch price of the Wii compared to all other Nintendo consoles. Adjusted for inflation, it's barely more expensive that the original Wii was, and WAY cheaper than the NES and SNES were when launched at their $199 price tags. It's much more complicated than just "tech prices drop over time". This isn't the PC industry.

Inflation, I was just at a party with a lot of balloons.
post #19 of 31 Old 11-04-2012, 02:10 PM

Liked: 10
I see they're still trying to appeal to the family segment rather than hardcore gamers... What a shame.

I'll get one when Monster Hunter releases.
post #20 of 31 Old 11-04-2012, 04:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 42
It would be cool if the pad was transparent (if they have such tech), so you could touch AND look at the big screen at the same time....

Terrence
"Hey Vasquez, have you ever been mistaken for a man?...."No, have you?" -ALIENS

post #21 of 31 Old 11-04-2012, 04:19 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thornback View Post

I see they're still trying to appeal to the family segment rather than hardcore gamers... What a shame.
I'll get one when Monster Hunter releases.
The only neat thing about this Wii U is they've made it sort of futuristic with tablet like controls.
But I do think it costs too much and falls behind in Graphic.

My HAF-932 Red Dragon MOD

post #22 of 31 Old 11-04-2012, 06:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Since I had like $220 sitting in store credit at Gamestop, I had to stick to the Gamestop pre-orders. Since I missed out, I'm on their waiting list. When I spoke to the rep yesterday, he said I'm scheduled to get it sometime in Feb 2013 biggrin.gif:D.

"There are 1 0 kinds of people in this world...one that can read binary while the other that can't!!"
XBL Tag: TacoKommando
My small HT setup:

post #23 of 31 Old 11-05-2012, 09:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thornback View Post

Oh yeah, because Ayane decapitating people, covered in blood in one of the launch titles is really for the family segment, as is Bayonetta 2 and ZombiU. rolleyes.gif
post #24 of 31 Old 11-05-2012, 09:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super XP View Post

But I do think it costs too much and falls behind in Graphic.

No, it actually pulls ahead in graphics, at least until the next Sony and MS consoles.
post #25 of 31 Old 11-06-2012, 06:44 AM
erc

Liked: 10
Not at launch, and maybe not at all. I haven't had much time for any gaming, and my kids are only a year old. (I imagine that's not a coincidence)

Netflix + Hulu Plus + Amazon streaming video at launch is nice, and the Netflix app on the controller seems pretty slick... so all that plus gaming on one device--I can't help but think it was a huge mistake not use Blu Ray as the game media and offer a BD movie player in the same package.
post #26 of 31 Old 11-06-2012, 03:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 162
Not interested in this console at all, controller is WAY too big (& often in the way) and nothing about the gameplay of anything shown thus far is impressive (regardless of how much power it is claimed to have).

This unit will see no where near the sales of the original Wii and at this point I see mostly big N fans jumping in right away.

Young kids may dig it but I think big N's constant desire to innovate will backfire with the WiiU and a bulk of the initial sales will mostly be due to being the only new console on the market in years.

Jason

My Twitch Game Stream [PS4/Xone/PC]...

post #27 of 31 Old 11-07-2012, 05:52 AM
CIH USER

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 205
Looking forward to this unit, the lego city game looks awesome. My son and I cant wait !!

Frank

post #28 of 31 Old 11-16-2012, 09:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/11/13/ninja-gaiden-3-razors-edge-review
Quote:

"Visually, Ninja Gaiden 3 is hardly going to make your PS3 and Xbox-owning friends envious. In fact, Razor’s Edge is arguably uglier than its cousins, with bland textures and a bad case of the “jaggies” combining to create a muddy look"

http://www.1up.com/do/blogEntry?bId=9115515
Quote:

Without question, it has a few issues. This version of ME3 seems a lot less visually stable than, say, the Xbox 360 version -- the frame rate is choppier, the animation seems rougher. The audio suffers, too; while the music and sound effects have come over fine, all the dialogue has a hollow, echoing quality to it.
post #29 of 31 Old 11-16-2012, 06:45 PM
Advanced Member

Meh, I'm buying it anyway. Those were all rushed ports. They didn't even have time to finalize the bloody system software, they're adding promised features in December. So these ports had very little time in development to go on a completely new architecture.
post #30 of 31 Old 11-16-2012, 06:51 PM
CIH USER

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 205
+1 I'm getting it also

Frank

Reply Latest Industry News

Tags
Next Generation , Wii U

User Tag List