Amazon Instant Video Gaining on Netflix - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 19 Old 11-05-2012, 07:27 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
A new September survey shows more people are watching content through Amazon Prime Instant Video than Netflix.

Quote:
The Bethesda, Md.-based research firm found that 22% of respondents watched online video content via Amazon Prime Instant Video compared to 17% in February. Two percent more (8% vs. 6%) watched Hulu Plus while 16% opted for transactional video-on-demand via iTunes compared to 15% in February.

Among four previous surveys dating back to 2010, Netflix’s market share has fallen 9% while Amazon’s has risen 15%. Also, 18% of Netflix subscribers now pay for Amazon Prime Instant Video – up 4% since the previous survey.

Some other interesting data:
Quote:
The iPad (32%; up 7-pts) is the top Internet-connected device among respondents who own a gadget that allows them to stream video content. Moreover, it’s showing the greatest growth of any Internet-connected device, according to the survey.

Blu-ray Players (31%; down 2-pts) are the second most used device, followed by iPhones (25%; up 5-pts) and video game consoles (24%; down 1-pt), while Apple TV (13%; up 4-pts) and Roku (13%; up 4-pts) have both seen increases since the February survey.

Andy Golub of ChangeWave had this to share about the survey:
Quote:
“While Netflix still holds the largest share by far of the paid alternative TV market, consumers continue to shift towards Amazon’s [Prime] Instant Video service. As Amazon’s TV and movie content becomes more competitive with Netflix, its popularity is surging among consumers.”

Has anyone here been watching more Amazon Instant Video?

Get all your A/V news at: AVS Latest News
Like AVS Forum on Facebook
Follow AVS Forums on Twitter
Wanna join the AVS Forum news staff? Contact me!
.......................................................................................
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 11-05-2012, 05:21 PM

Liked: 10
What is the price difference between amazon instant and netflix?
post #3 of 19 Old 11-05-2012, 06:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 36
You have to be an Amazon Prime member. So $79 a year.
This gets you essentially the same content/catalog as Netflx.
For new releases, you pay extra per movie/show, which you don't even get that choice on Amazon.

Most blu-ray players support Amazon streaming, as does the Roku.

post #4 of 19 Old 11-05-2012, 07:23 PM

Liked: 11
Wrong. Amazon Prime has a very weak catalog. They have very little new content for tv and movies and are way behind netflix when it comes to free (included with your subscription) media. I do not have a Netflix account (but have several friends who do) but have been streaming Amazon prime for over a year now. I end up paying for most of the content we watch simply because I have a hard time finding anything in the "prime" collection. While Amazon has a wonderful app that allows you to stream prime (wifi only) and download your purchased media to your ipad, for $8 per month Netflix is still a much better streaming alternative.
one321 likes this.
post #5 of 19 Old 11-05-2012, 07:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
I just cancelled my Prime about 2 months back. Tried the streaming but didn't like Amazon's library (speaking at that time).

I also have Netflix and prefer their steaming library more (they seem to be adding in new content at a faster pace now). Unless Amazon has grown their library much, I'd say Netflix still has a better collection.
one321 likes this.

"There are 1 0 kinds of people in this world...one that can read binary while the other that can't!!"
XBL Tag: TacoKommando
My small HT setup:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/27565515@N04/

post #6 of 19 Old 11-06-2012, 06:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by zrockstar View Post

Wrong. Amazon Prime has a very weak catalog. They have very little new content for tv and movies and are way behind netflix when it comes to free (included with your subscription) media. I do not have a Netflix account (but have several friends who do) but have been streaming Amazon prime for over a year now. I end up paying for most of the content we watch simply because I have a hard time finding anything in the "prime" collection. While Amazon has a wonderful app that allows you to stream prime (wifi only) and download your purchased media to your ipad, for $8 per month Netflix is still a much better streaming alternative.
I have both and it all depends on what you like to watch.
Netflix is great if you have kids but their catalog SELECTION is awful and they don't seem to be adding new content as fast as they were say a year ago.
Ever since they lost Stars and Showtime content, it seems Netflix is not willing to pay for better content from other studios.
Their additions to their catalog has been slow and stagnet the last year.

Not saying Amazon prime is dramatically better but they are essentially the same.
What's a bunch a content at Netflix worth if they are not ones you like to watch.

post #7 of 19 Old 11-06-2012, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 42Plasmaman View Post

Not saying Amazon prime is dramatically better but they are essentially the same.
What's a bunch a content at Netflix worth if they are not ones you like to watch.

Thats just it. They arent essentially the same unless someone happens to have the same taste as YOU.
I have to agree with zrockster -- Amazon's free prime movie selection is far weaker than netflix. Example: I wanted to watch "The Game" this weekend: free on Netflix, not on Amazon (I know this because I tried amazon first).
This is not an uncommon scenario either. I've encountered it multiple times. I WANT to like Amazon prime instant because it could mean saving some cash (I get Amazon prime anyhow for shipping alone), but so far it just doesnt cut it for me OR my kids.
post #8 of 19 Old 11-06-2012, 09:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 204
I've streamed from both of them multiple times and it seems I have spent more time looking for something to watch than I have spent watching anything. Also, check the running time on the movie & then add about 20 minutes for buffering.

post #9 of 19 Old 11-10-2012, 11:10 AM

One unique feature that Amazon Prime is the ability to download movies. Although, it only seems to appear on movies that you own. I only buy Bluray, so the selection was only 2 movies. My Bluray collection is close to 1000 movies, so only 2 was available to download. Just say that their Amazon's Prime collection was rather disappointing. Although, the main reason that I bought Amazon Prime was for the shipping. I also have Netflix streaming, but only use it on trips. I prefer watching Bluray in the changer at home, so I can get the full sound quality.
post #10 of 19 Old 11-12-2012, 01:49 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I have quit Netflix as soon as I found my Amazon Prime membership allows me to watch my favorite classics free of charge.

So long Netflix!
post #11 of 19 Old 11-12-2012, 02:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitro67 View Post

One unique feature that Amazon Prime is the ability to download movies. Although, it only seems to appear on movies that you own. I only buy Bluray, so the selection was only 2 movies. My Bluray collection is close to 1000 movies, so only 2 was available to download. Just say that their Amazon's Prime collection was rather disappointing. Although, the main reason that I bought Amazon Prime was for the shipping. I also have Netflix streaming, but only use it on trips. I prefer watching Bluray in the changer at home, so I can get the full sound quality.

I just noticed this on my account, I recently purchased the blu-ray of Hunger Games and now it's in my digital library.

Does Amazon have a queue feature yet? I've only watched a few movies from Amazon on my Roku, but it's a huge pain to navigate. I think it was last year that I watched The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo trilogy on Amazon, but after finding the first one and seeing the other two in the list on my Roku, the next time I went back to watch the second I had to go through page after page to hunt them down. And the genres were horribly organized so it was difficult to find anything that way. If they improve the way in which you can find movies and watch them I'll be more inclined to use it.

Download my IR hex codes for the Denon AVR-4810ci and other Denon receivers here.
For Logitech Harmony support, ask Logitech for the Denon receiver in the account kmickunas.

post #12 of 19 Old 11-12-2012, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Mickunas View Post

I just noticed this on my account, I recently purchased the blu-ray of Hunger Games and now it's in my digital library.
Does Amazon have a queue feature yet? I've only watched a few movies from Amazon on my Roku, but it's a huge pain to navigate. I think it was last year that I watched The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo trilogy on Amazon, but after finding the first one and seeing the other two in the list on my Roku, the next time I went back to watch the second I had to go through page after page to hunt them down. And the genres were horribly organized so it was difficult to find anything that way. If they improve the way in which you can find movies and watch them I'll be more inclined to use it.

Well, there is a watchlist. Basically, you can que movies with the watch list. As soon as you select it on the watch list, it ques it on the ipad. I think it is easier to que the movie on the website, and then you have it on the watchlist to view later. I don't own the Roku, but it seems to work nicely for the Ipad. Just can't download a movie that is not on the watchlist. The download movie is based on movies you own. I was on travel last week and tried to download Hunger games. I have it Bluray too. Well, I had to leave the hotel with about 10 minutes left off the download.
post #13 of 19 Old 11-12-2012, 03:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitro67 View Post

Well, there is a watchlist. Basically, you can que movies with the watch list. As soon as you select it on the watch list, it ques it on the ipad. I think it is easier to que the movie on the website, and then you have it on the watchlist to view later. I don't own the Roku, but it seems to work nicely for the Ipad. Just can't download a movie that is not on the watchlist. The download movie is based on movies you own. I was on travel last week and tried to download Hunger games. I have it Bluray too. Well, I had to leave the hotel with about 10 minutes left off the download.

Thanks, I just looked up some movies on Amazon and I see that the watchlist is a new feature. Very nice. If that shows up on Roku it will make a world of difference as far as the user experience goes.

I am seeing quite a few good recent movies on there, as well as some classics. I'm going to have to pay even more attention to Amazon now.

Download my IR hex codes for the Denon AVR-4810ci and other Denon receivers here.
For Logitech Harmony support, ask Logitech for the Denon receiver in the account kmickunas.

post #14 of 19 Old 11-12-2012, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Mickunas View Post

Thanks, I just looked up some movies on Amazon and I see that the watchlist is a new feature. Very nice. If that shows up on Roku it will make a world of difference as far as the user experience goes.
I am seeing quite a few good recent movies on there, as well as some classics. I'm going to have to pay even more attention to Amazon now.

If it doesn't show up. Then make sure the Roku is registered with Amazon Prime. I think that feature is under settings & devices.
post #15 of 19 Old 11-14-2012, 07:05 AM

Liked: 62
Amazon needs to open up the library of older stuff to Prime members to be truly attractive. On the surface the catalog sounds great but only a limited amount of TV Series are included for free. I was excited to hook up my new Blu Ray player with internet connection to stream Pandora and Amazon Prime shows/movies but when I pulled up one of my favorites, the Red Green Show, none of the seasons were free to Prime members.

Really? 1991 TV series for $1.99 an episode? C'mon... I got Prime for the free 2 day shipping as I do a lot of shopping through them and my wife loves to read books on her Kindle so it is still a good deal but maybe they need a Prime +Plus member ship that opens up the library more? $99 a year?

I used to have Netflix years back on my PS3 but grew tired of the slow browsing of the catalog through the interface and seemingly slow buffering. Amazon seems to have adopted that same format rather than leapfrogging Netflix with a better way.

I did watch some Battlestar Galactica to test it out and will say the quality was better than I expected in HD with the 5.1 surround. Not DirecTV On-Demand HD quality good, but decent.

50" Samsung Plasma HDTV | Networked Yamaha RX-V573 7.1 AV | BIC DV-32CLR Center | JBL 2600 Mains | Fluance AVBP2 Bi-Pole Surrounds on Soundcast SCS-100 wireless surround | Onkyo SKC-530 Sub | Networked Sony BDP-S590 

post #16 of 19 Old 11-14-2012, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD Hockey Guy View Post

Amazon needs to open up the library of older stuff to Prime members to be truly attractive.

I totally agree with the above. Some of the older movies that I expect to be free are $2.99. Also, there is a lot, and I mean a TON of worthless movies on amazon.
post #17 of 19 Old 11-15-2012, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD Hockey Guy View Post

Amazon needs to open up the library of older stuff to Prime members to be truly attractive. On the surface the catalog sounds great but only a limited amount of TV Series are included for free. I was excited to hook up my new Blu Ray player with internet connection to stream Pandora and Amazon Prime shows/movies but when I pulled up one of my favorites, the Red Green Show, none of the seasons were free to Prime members.
Really? 1991 TV series for $1.99 an episode? C'mon... I got Prime for the free 2 day shipping as I do a lot of shopping through them and my wife loves to read books on her Kindle so it is still a good deal but maybe they need a Prime +Plus member ship that opens up the library more? $99 a year?
I used to have Netflix years back on my PS3 but grew tired of the slow browsing of the catalog through the interface and seemingly slow buffering. Amazon seems to have adopted that same format rather than leapfrogging Netflix with a better way.
I did watch some Battlestar Galactica to test it out and will say the quality was better than I expected in HD with the 5.1 surround. Not DirecTV On-Demand HD quality good, but decent.

If you primary want free TV DVD series, then another option is just go to local library. My local library has large 10,000 DVD collection, so your local library might offer the same option. Great for TV series, because they have the full box sets. As for Amazon Prime, I saved lot of money on shipping alone, and I also have bought lot of DVD and Bluray. A Netflix account would cost you 95.88 a year for the streaming alone, while your Amazon account only costs $79.99 a year for streaming and shipping. You still complain about this free service, that Amazon provides to you. Understand that bandwidth is expensive and so is converting those movies over to stream is not a cheap process. When Amazon first came out instant video free for Prime members. It wasn't that great at all. Although, now it has been improving. Although, I wish that they had the Iphone app as well.. I just hope that Amazon keeps Prime at $79.99, because gas prices keeps increasing the shipping costs.

As for the catalog, it is best to go online and select the movies to watch list. All your devices will see that list. That is the fastest way.
post #18 of 19 Old 11-16-2012, 04:57 AM
erc

We've got Hulu Plus, Netflix Streaming AND Amazon Prime. Not having cable service pays for an entire year's worth of all three services in 4-5 months.

I don't see myself getting rid of Prime--the shipping aspect alone is worth the price of the service. Next day Saturday delivery on a 46" TV: $9. I don't even know how that's possible.

Anyway, I could easily see myself getting rid of either Netflix Streaming or Hulu Plus if Amazon continues to improve their streaming service. Right now, I just don't think the selection is good enough.
post #19 of 19 Old 11-19-2012, 01:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Amazon is still very poorly catalogued, hard to read up on a movie before watching.
Furthermore there is no hint on PQ or DD+ before you start watching.

I stick with Amazon+Vudu, my needs are met.

Just like the fiddler at the train station, he'll play for whoever pays him:)
Reply Latest Industry News

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page