MARANTZ DEBUT THE FLAGSHIP MODEL AV8801 HOME THEATER PREAMPLIFIER/PROCESSOR - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 12-03-2012, 10:02 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 43
MARANTZ BRINGS TRUE ULTIMATE-QUALITY HOME THEATER PERFORMANCE TO A NEW PRICE POINT WITH THE DEBUT OF THE FLAGSHIP MODEL AV8801 HOME THEATER PREAMPLIFIER/PROCESSOR

-- Perfect Companion Piece for the New Marantz Flagship MM8077 Power Amp;
Ultimate Music and Movie Surround Sound Experience,
with 4K and 3D Pass-Through and Apple's AirPlay --

Mahwah, NJ, December 3, 2012 -- Marantz®, a world renowned leader in advanced audio technologies, is setting a new price/performance benchmark for premium quality home theater with the debut of the new flagship Model AV8801 AV Preamplifier/Processor (SRP: $3,599.99). Designed to serve as the perfect companion to the company’s new MM8077 power amplifier, the 11.2-channel AV8801 features many of Marantz’ leading-edge technologies and innovations found in its legendary Reference Series, such as a massive toroidal power supply, leading-edge HDAM and High Current Feedback Technology, and a rock-solid copper plated chassis. The result is an ultimate music and movie surround sound experience, with today’s most advanced home theater system-building capabilities. Currently available, the AV8801 also features advanced 4K video capability and 3D pass-through, plus Apple’s AirPlay* so users can easily stream iTunes music, whether from a Mac or PC, as well as directly from their iPhone, iPad or iPod touch.

Noted Yoshinori Yamada, Product Planning Manager for the D+M Group: “Marantz has a longstanding reputation for building components that allow the most discerning consumers and professional custom integrators to create uncompromising dream systems. With our AV8801 preamp, we are bringing many of the same technologies and innovations that distinguish our world-renowned Reference Series to a new, more affordable price range for the premium home theater category. This new flagship preamp delivers all the unmatched Marantz audio and video performance our customers demand, along with the world’s most up-to-date networking and content access technologies, like more HDMI connectivity options, plus 4K video capability, built-in AirPlay and more.

Like all the company’s premium components, the AV8801 features the striking Marantz chassis design, with an aluminum front panel, traditional Marantz star and iconic illuminated Marantz front porthole display. The unit’s handy fold-up door conceals an additional 2-line FL display.

Legendary Marantz Audio and Video Performance
The AV8801 is packed with Marantz Proprietary audio technologies for superior sound and unmatched home theater performance. Notably, it features Marantz most extensive and sophisticated use of HDAM and High Current Feedback Technology, combined with a massive toroidal power supply befitting the company’s renowned Reference Series. Marantz’ advanced multi-DSP audio processor offers a broad range of surround sound decoding modes, including support for high resolution audio formats. For the ultimate surround sound experience, the AV8801 also features expanded multi-channel decoding, including Audyssey DSX and DTS Neo:X, giving users the ability to add additional front height and width channels for a truly expansive and immersive surround sound experience.

To handle today’s wideband high dynamic range content, the audio section is equipped with the latest high resolution 192 kHz/32-bit DACs on all channels. The AV8801 can decode WAV, FLAC and ALAC audio files, and includes gapless audio playback. For maximum system configuration capability, it is equipped with both unbalanced (RCA) and balanced (XLR) audio outputs. The AV8801 features a dedicated, stereo XLR input making it the perfect companion to our recently released UD7007 Universal Disc Player. Vinyl fans will surely appreciate the inclusion of a phono input, and there’s no need for a separate tuner, as the AV8801 features a built-in HD Radio tuner.

The AV8801 is also Marantz’ first product to take advantage of Audyssey Labratories critically acclaimed MultEQ XT32 room equlization technology and Audyssey Sub EQ HT processing which optimizes dual subwoofer setups, providing custom deep bass tailoring for the smoothest and most dynamic deep bass response from both subs.

The AV8801’s video section is every bit as impressive as its audio capabilities. It features advanced high resolution video processing and decoding, and is equipped with video upscaling that upconverts standard definition (SD) video sources from legacy components to high definition. For compatibility with the latest Ultra High Definition (4K) displays, the AV8801 features the ability to upconvert SD and HD to Ultra High Definition (4K), and it can also accept and pass-through 4K content.

Enjoy the Best Connection to All Your Entertainment Needs
A broad range of network and streaming functions in the AV8801 allows users to enjoy the best quality music experience possible from portable devices via Bluetooth, with the optional RX101 Bluetooth adapter, or when connected to a home network. Users can also enjoy thousands of internet radio stations via Pandora and SiriusXM ** Internet Radio services, as well as the popular Spotify music service. The AV8801 is DLNA 1.5 certified for compatibility with multimedia PCs and other devices. The 3D pass-through technology lets users enjoy 3D video entertainment with dynamic surround sound, and the 7 HDMI inputs and 3 HDMI outputs lets users connect all their HDMI-equipped devices with a single cable, enjoying high definition audio and video on up to three displays. Thanks to dual outputs for the main zone, users can also connect two HD displays, such as a flat panel HDTV and an HD front projector. The third HDMI output lets users enjoy a different program in another room, and the beneficial InstaPrevue function allows preview of video from connected HDMI sources in multiple picture-in-picture windows.

The unit’s extensive networking capabilities include a 4-port Ethernet switch that lets users make one connection to their home LAN with three additional connections available for connecting other source components, such as a network-capable Blu-ray player, set-top-boxes or gaming consoles, without the hassle of installing a 3rd party hub.

* AirPlay requires iTunes 10.1 or later and iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch with iOS 4.2 or later. A home Wi-Fi network is required.

** Some services may require a subscription.

David Bott
Founder - AVSForum

DISCLAIMER: All spelling and grammatical errors done on purpose for the proofreadingly challenged...:)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 12-03-2012, 04:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Looks Fantastic! What is SW1 and SW2 outputs ? Can this be used to process a second pair of side surrounds if i want to do a pair of side surrounds for each of my two rows in addition to the surround backs?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 14 Old 12-03-2012, 06:47 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1049 Post(s)
Liked: 887
Quote:
Originally Posted by vikgrao View Post

What is SW1 and SW2 outputs ?
Two independent subwoofer outputs: each get the same low frequency signal, but each can be calibrated (set levels & distances) independently.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vikgrao View Post

Can this be used to process a second pair of side surrounds if i want to do a pair of side surrounds for each of my two rows in addition to the surround backs?
No, because they're both subwoofer outputs, not full range outputs (which is what you would need to run a second pair of surrounds).

This pre-pro does offer another option for running 6 surround, though you'd have to use DTS Neo:X processing and connect the front pair of surrounds to the Wide outputs. Place the first pair of surrounds forward of the listening area, place another pair of surrounds inbetween your two rows, place the last pair of surrounds behind the listening area. All three pairs of surrounds will get different signals. So if you have a signal that goes around the room, you'll hear it pass through each speaker individually, for very smooth pans around the room.

Sanjay
post #4 of 14 Old 12-03-2012, 06:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Thanks Sanjay!

post #5 of 14 Old 12-05-2012, 08:55 AM
Kid

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
$3,599.99? Seriously?
It's exactly the same thing as the Denon AVR 4520 (something like $2,500), without amplification. The back panel is exactly the same (minus the balanced outputs, of course).
Marantz is crazy... frown.gif

KID
Colorado Doente
post #6 of 14 Old 12-05-2012, 09:36 AM

will there be a marantz sr8007 av-receiver?
post #7 of 14 Old 12-05-2012, 10:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked: 312
I guess the big question here is: do its performance and features justify the $1k price premium over the Integra DHC-80.3...

The Build:
| The System:
| The Video Series:

Social:
|
|
|
|
post #8 of 14 Old 12-05-2012, 12:23 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrolicBeast View Post

I guess the big question here is: do its performance and features justify the $1k price premium over the Integra DHC-80.3...

I doubt it. I'm in the market for a pre-amp but don't plan on using 9.2 let alone 11.2 which I see as the only possible advantage. Plus I'm sure the 80.4 will be out soon enough.

AI Limited
post #9 of 14 Old 12-05-2012, 10:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid View Post

$3,599.99? Seriously?
It's exactly the same thing as the Denon AVR 4520 (something like $2,500), without amplification. The back panel is exactly the same (minus the balanced outputs, of course).

I saw this, and just got my 4520 Tuesday Dec-4.
Looking thru the specs this is truly the noticeable difference between my 4520 and the av8801 (besides my 4520 has 9 amps also thrown in.....)
Quote:
Notably, it features Marantz most extensive and sophisticated use of HDAM and High Current Feedback Technology, combined with a massive toroidal power supply befitting the company’s renowned Reference Series.

So yea, the price/value thing seems outta whack, unless Marantz is just positioning this as a premium brand offereing, thinking people who don't know or care will jump onto it.

Now, if Marantz offers a separate 200w 11ch amp section for this then that will definitely position the combo above the 4520 150w 9 amp unit, the Marantz version of this http://www.avsforum.com/t/1006957/official-denon-avp-a1hd-avp-a1hdci-and-poa-a1hd-poa-a1hdci-owners-thread

Mike R,P.E. clickable DIY hot links:

post #10 of 14 Old 12-08-2012, 04:53 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid View Post

$3,599.99? Seriously?

don't kid yourself... read the av8801 thread... people are already drooling over how much "better" it will be than the 4520... wink.gif complete with the usual audiophile "hopes, dreams and wishes"... tongue.gif

fwiw, i agree with your basic point... smile.gif i bought a 4520...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

post #11 of 14 Old 12-09-2012, 05:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj View Post

don't kid yourself... read the av8801 thread... people are already drooling over how much "better" it will be than the 4520... wink.gif complete with the usual audiophile "hopes, dreams and wishes"... tongue.gif
fwiw, i agree with your basic point... smile.gif i bought a 4520...

The Denon does not use Marantz's proprietary HDAM modules, so they are not the same implementation even if they share an output panel.
post #12 of 14 Old 12-09-2012, 05:37 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 89
@kid...

see? tongue.gif

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

post #13 of 14 Old 12-09-2012, 06:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj View Post

@kid...
see? tongue.gif

You are very polite. I don't own one and don't plan to. I stated a fact. I did not say anything (and don't plan to) about noticeable sound quality, etc.
post #14 of 14 Old 12-17-2012, 09:18 AM

I wonder if they still use the same "top quality" 8ch on one chip DAC as in the previous models?
Reply Latest Industry News

Tags
Marantz Av8801
Gear in this thread - Av8801 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page