Netflix and Samsung Stream 4K Video at CES - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 41 Old 01-11-2013, 10:27 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 32
I haven't even been able to get confirmation that Netflix streams anything in 1080P. I read several articles that they tried 1080P very shortly about a year ago and went back to 720P. Does anyone know for sure?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 41 Old 01-11-2013, 02:54 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by e39mofo View Post

Both, I'm from Canada wink.gif
Thanks a lot. Feels good to know that.
post #33 of 41 Old 01-11-2013, 03:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1040 Post(s)
Liked: 532
The average ISP in the U.S. is crap, plain and simple. Even with 25 Mbps Concast (the "n" is intentional), I sometimes get downshifts in quality on Netflix at their so-called 1080p resolution. Forget the quality HD downloads from Vudu... they keep buffering, especially in the evening with heavier neighborhood net traffic.

The internet infrastructure is mostly to blame. You could have the greatest server farms in the world and they're connected to a multi-decade old ARPA pipeline in many areas of the U.S. That's why Google and Verizon are forced to create their own ultra-fast fiber networks from the ground up. These will take decades more to reach the majority of households and cost billions upon billions of dollars in the process.

They won't have data usage caps, but the largest consumer ISP, Concast, still does. And they ain't dropping them until forced.

3 Mbps "1080p" with crappy sound is what a lot of us contend with. Now they're talking 4k streaming via the internet... and 4k TV content from DirecTV and DISH??? Don't make me laugh!! It'll still look like garbage. They haven't shown an interest in top quality broadcasts yet. What makes you think 4k will be any different?

I've also noticed that Netflix will many times mislabel their shows as containing HD and/or 5.1 audio. Choose one and you may get SD or artifact riddled HD with compressed stereo. And their selection is a joke.

We need a good, physical 4k medium... no ifs, ands, or buts about it. The studios can try to push PPV streaming all they want (it's their wildest wet dream), but the fact remains. Dolby and DTS are now pushing for object-oriented soundtracks... you can forget that via the internet!

Listen up, studios! Just say "NO" to DNR and EE!!
post #34 of 41 Old 01-11-2013, 11:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 41
4K streaming is quite diff to comprehend at present. It's a flash concept for Netflix to bandy around at things like the CES. However, internet content delivery via the net is certainly viable. I have no probs with Red and Sony's views on using the method. It'll take some time till the idea of 4K streaming will really be practical. I'm pretty sure I'll have 100mbit fiber installed locally long before Netflix or anyone else are geared to cater to that kind of niche high end home broadband performance.

post #35 of 41 Old 01-12-2013, 01:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 27
I'm still waiting to get better than VHS quality from Netflix on my computer. 4K? Too funny.
post #36 of 41 Old 01-12-2013, 04:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by sebberry View Post

I'm still waiting to get better than VHS quality from Netflix on my computer. 4K? Too funny.
If you seriously don't get better than VHS quality from Netflix already, I'd consider checking out the problem with your computer and/or Internet Service Provider.

Current HT setup:

Samsung UN65F6300 65" LCD HDTV, Polk CS20 Center, 2x Polk Monitor 75T Fronts, 2x Polk TSI300 Backs, Polk PSW110 Subwoofer.

post #37 of 41 Old 01-12-2013, 06:48 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 39
I agree with Dan Hitchman. (BTW, we're on Comcast here, best we can do out here in the sticks. Friends a little further out have to make do with satellite and DSL.)

Anyway, the content from Comcast is bitrate starved as things stand. Get me adequate bitrate for 1080p first, then maybe I'll listen to the pitch. But I suspect an increase in resolution will only look worse.

For reasons already stated, give me a physical medium, or no deal. At minimum, give me a no extras H.265 encoded main movie on BD50 that I can play from my HTPC via software player.
post #38 of 41 Old 01-12-2013, 07:17 AM

Liked: 10
Until recently I found Netflix stream to be stellar thru ps3 on Samsung 55. However, I can no longer stream "x-high" hd. I only get "high" hd. There is a noticeable difference. Faces are less defined and or brilliant looking. Prior to this change I found Netflix to be superior to Amazon. Now I'd rate the overall video/stream quality the same. I feel bad for people who experience the buffering and bouncing between sd/hd. That rarely happens to me unless there is a superstorm. I know they've made some changes since the christmas eve crash or whatever but it doesn't seem to have improved hd. In another forum I was told to go into Netflix and manually select highest quality for video. In which case I may be able to access "super hd." I have no idea whether this is valid. Nevertheless, I'd like it to be as it once was with "x-high." So while it's well and good for them to embellish their service at the tech convention it isn't something I can get excited about.
post #39 of 41 Old 01-12-2013, 10:50 PM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog750 View Post

I haven't even been able to get confirmation that Netflix streams anything in 1080P. I read several articles that they tried 1080P very shortly about a year ago and went back to 720P. Does anyone know for sure?

http://www.engadget.com/2013/01/08/netflix-super-hd-3d-streaming/
post #40 of 41 Old 01-13-2013, 02:54 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Youtube is already experimenting 4K 2160p
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0m1XmvBey8&list=PL5BF9E09ECEC8F88F&index=1

Eutelsat Launches Europe's First Dedicated Ultra HD 4K Satellite Channel
http://satellite.tmcnet.com/news/2013/01/07/6834231.htm
post #41 of 41 Old 01-15-2013, 04:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by sodaboy581 View Post

If you seriously don't get better than VHS quality from Netflix already, I'd consider checking out the problem with your computer and/or Internet Service Provider.

+1 what are you still on dial-up rolleyes.gif . I can access Netflix or VUDU via a VPN and still get it to work in good HD quality!

Reply Latest Industry News

Tags
Ces

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page