No Plans for New 4K Disc Format - Sony - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 95 Old 06-18-2013, 09:00 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am not sure why there is a surprise that DVD still sell. There is about a $10 difference and some of the BDs come with 3D and 3 discs in them making them quite expensive to get the BD. And for a lot of people, the quality just is not there. Guys on this forum are more likely to have a high-end display or projector. Good for you...us! But many more people have a crappy LG 46" LCD and it is placed 2 feet above their couch with mantel in the way. Not too surprised. If NetFlix can grow, then Blu-ray must not be that important to many people.

4K is crazy. Until we are not paying $60-$80 a month for crappy internet, we should not think much will happen unless there is a new disc type coming. I am ready for thumb drive media with huge servers. Maybe you pay $30 for the drive, load it once, authenticate the movie, and send the drive back for a $10 credit to the next movie. Once loaded, it is yours. Mail is cheap, network is too slow, small drives are cheap.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 95 Old 06-18-2013, 11:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 538 Post(s)
Liked: 337
I say they need to faze out DVD, so there isn't that plus Blu-ray and UHD media all vying for attention in the marketplace.

3D also ought to be dumped in favor of putting the emphasis on a much more robust and impressive UHD video and object based audio experience.

Listen up, studios! Just say "NO" to DNR and EE!!
post #93 of 95 Old 06-22-2013, 02:43 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 40
One reason why dvd sales are faring poorly is because of the rise of advanced media like bluray streaming dvr mobile and 4k media
post #94 of 95 Old 06-23-2013, 07:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 408
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmoothTech View Post

I am not sure why there is a surprise that DVD still sell. There is about a $10 difference and some of the BDs come with 3D and 3 discs in them making them quite expensive to get the BD. And for a lot of people, the quality just is not there. Guys on this forum are more likely to have a high-end display or projector. Good for you...us! But many more people have a crappy LG 46" LCD and it is placed 2 feet above their couch with mantel in the way. Not too surprised. If NetFlix can grow, then Blu-ray must not be that important to many people.

4K is crazy. Until we are not paying $60-$80 a month for crappy internet, we should not think much will happen unless there is a new disc type coming. I am ready for thumb drive media with huge servers. Maybe you pay $30 for the drive, load it once, authenticate the movie, and send the drive back for a $10 credit to the next movie. Once loaded, it is yours. Mail is cheap, network is too slow, small drives are cheap.

I never thought my LG panel looked crappy. Mail order thumb drives to get half the bitrate of BD? Not in my home theatre. I stream Vudu and Netflix on occasion but I have no illusions about the compressed product I'm getting. If you like lower quality movies that's fine, for ones I want to keep it's BD.
post #95 of 95 Old 06-23-2013, 11:33 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 40
Very wise for sony to release the mastered in 4k blurays...lets see other studios follow suit. Youtube in 720p on a 42 inch screen on ps3 can look ok if its in hd. Fios hd movies look horrible compared to a bluray.
Reply Latest Industry News

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page