Vizio TVs at CES 2013 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 1 Old 01-11-2013, 01:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 349 Post(s)
Liked: 1180

As it has for the last several years, Vizio took over a ballroom at the Wynn hotel to display its 2013 lineup for CES; I focused my attention on the TVs. At the top of the heap is the XVT series, which now comprises Vizio's entry into the 4K/UHD arena. Said to be shipping in the fourth quarter of this year, the XVT series includes screen sizes of 55, 65, and 70 inches (seen here).

One of the smaller UHD models was demonstrating glasses-free 3D using Dolby's technology, which I first saw at the NAB (National Association of Broadcasters) convention last year. It looked very good—in fact, Dolby 3D is the best autostereoscopic system I've seen yet. This won't be available with the XVT models launching this year; it was a technology demo that hints of things to come.

In the middle of Vizio's lineup is the M series, with screen sizes ranging from 32 to 80 inches. Like the XVT series, all sizes are LED edge-lit, come with a WiFi universal remote, and provide Vizio Internet Apps for online content, though they do not offer Google TV this year. (The Co-Star streaming box still does.) Sizes of 50 inches and above are 3D-capable using passive glasses and employ a refresh rate of 240Hz. These models should be available in the second quarter of this year.

The entry-level E series is available now in screen sizes from 22 to 70 inches. Interestingly, the sizes from 32 to 55 inches use full-array backlighting rather then edge-lighting with local dimming, though with fewer LEDs and dimmable zones than in high-end local dimmers.

All "smart" models with Vizio Internet Apps will soon include 3D Go, a 3D streaming channel from Sensio, as well as M-Go, a streaming service from Technicolor. Looks like it will be another big year for Vizio!

Scott Wilkinson
AVS Editor
Reply Latest Industry News

Tags
Vizio

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page