/** * vBulletin 3.8.7 CSS * Style: 'AVSForum-new'; Style ID: 113 */ @import url("http://www.avsforum.com/forum/clientscript/vbulletin_css/style-5057a4da-00113.css"); Westinghouse LED-LCD TVs at CES 2013 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 01-13-2013, 04:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked: 847

Westinghouse's 2013 lineup of 1080p LED-edgelit LCD TVs will be available in screen sizes ranging from 28 to 60 inches and prices from $239 to $1200. Interestingly, the LEDs are located only along the bottom edge of the screen, yet I detected no problems with uniformity in the mostly black screen on the 60-incher in the center of this photo.

The new models will have no 3D capabilities and no online apps, which the company maintains should be implemented in external devices so the TV is not rendered obsolete so quickly. The apps being displayed on the center screen in this photo are provided by a Roku Streaming Stick plugged into the set's MHL (Mobile High-Definition Link) port, which will be included on the 60-inch model and other sizes if retailers express strong enough interest.

I've gotten lots of e-mails from readers complaining about Westinghouse TVs failing after only a few months and problems dealing with the company's customer service, so I asked about these issues. The rep I spoke with acknowledged that last year's 46-inch model had some significant problems, and their outsourced customer service was not delivering the quality they had expected. The company is addressing the issues with the 46-incher, and it brought customer service in-house one month ago to work on that problem. I am greatly encouraged by a company that responds like this.

Scott Wilkinson
AVS Editor
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 01-13-2013, 05:19 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 145
Hey, Scott how was the show@ ces ? I couldn't make it this. Year .looking forward to your next podcast on home theater geeks..

loves...home theather/music/football:)
post #3 of 11 Old 01-13-2013, 06:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

CES was great, though I did catch the bug that was running rampant! Recording Home Theater Geeks from the show floor was fantastic, with lots of great stuff from Toshiba, LG, Panasonic, Sharp, Samsung, and Sony, mostly about 4K Ultra HD and OLED; it should be posted on Monday. Hope you enjoy it!

Scott Wilkinson
AVS Editor
post #4 of 11 Old 01-13-2013, 06:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Scott, can you answer an unrelated question? Did you see any new A/V receivers at the show? From Denon, Marantz, Onkyo, Pioneer, Yamaha ? I cannot find any info anywhere. Thanks.
post #5 of 11 Old 01-13-2013, 07:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 145
Sweet..looking forward...to the show...Jim I was wondering the same...hope to see some uploads soon.

loves...home theather/music/football:)
post #6 of 11 Old 01-13-2013, 07:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by pioneertop View Post

Sweet..looking forward...to the show...Jim I was wondering the same...hope to see some uploads soon.

If I'm not mistaken new AVRS are generally not launched at CES, but rather CEDIA ('round september)

ht Panasonic 60" ZT60, Monitor Audio: Silver RX6, RX Centre, Radius 90HD; Martinlogan Dynamo 700, Marantz SR5006, PS3, Oppo BDP-103D
2ch Sony KDL-32W650A, Sony BDP-S1000ES, Marantz PM8004, JVC T-X3 tuner, Monitor Audio Silver RX1, REL T3, Apple TV, Peachtree Audio DAC•iT, Sennheiser HD598
lr Panasonic 50" ST60, Sony BDP-S5100, Apple TV
pc Energy CB-5, Audioengine D1, FiiO A1
post #7 of 11 Old 01-13-2013, 07:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McC View Post

Scott, can you answer an unrelated question? Did you see any new A/V receivers at the show? From Denon, Marantz, Onkyo, Pioneer, Yamaha ? I cannot find any info anywhere. Thanks.

Unfortunately, I did not see any AVRs, but then again, I wasn't looking for them this time around. I had my hands full with TVs.

Scott Wilkinson
AVS Editor
post #8 of 11 Old 01-13-2013, 10:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatuglyguy View Post

If I'm not mistaken new AVRS are generally not launched at CES, but rather CEDIA ('round september)

Now that I think about it, you're right. In years past, AVRs were introduced at CES, but they have since migrated to CEDIA. As far as home theater is concerned, CES has become much more about TVs. Of course, there's also 2-channel audio at the Venetian, but no AVRs to speak of over there, either.

Scott Wilkinson
AVS Editor
post #9 of 11 Old 01-13-2013, 11:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wilkinson View Post

Now that I think about it, you're right. In years past, AVRs were introduced at CES, but they have since migrated to CEDIA. As far as home theater is concerned, CES has become much more about TVs. Of course, there's also 2-channel audio at the Venetian, but no AVRs to speak of over there, either.

Thanks. Then why do the new receivers come out in the spring? That makes no sense if the show is in the fall.
post #10 of 11 Old 01-14-2013, 12:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McC View Post

Thanks. Then why do the new receivers come out in the spring? That makes no sense if the show is in the fall.

I don't know. It often takes six months for products to go from unveiling to available, which could explain the timing.

Scott Wilkinson
AVS Editor
post #11 of 11 Old 01-17-2013, 07:13 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
"The new models will have no 3D capabilities and no online apps, which the company maintains should be implemented in external devices so the TV is not rendered obsolete so quickly"
*jaw on floor *
Finally, a company with sense! This is what I've been saying for a couple years now! I just want to buy a monitor that excepts hdmi. This would reduce the cost and weight/depth of the tv's. Leave everything else to either a AVR or a breakout box that can be purchased seperately, this way I can upgrade the AVR/box as needed without feeling like there are obsolete features on my tv.
This is why my first hdtv was the Westinghouse 37w3. It was the first 1080p lcd for a grand that was just a monitor and nothing else, not even a tuner (with hd cable and then hd satellite I have never cared for OTA hd, mostly because I don't watch any network tv). I expect my first 4k is likely to be a Westinghouse (especially since they've improved their quality even more)
[I can't speak for current models, but my old Westy was perfect, and in fact still works. I gave it to my mother when I upgraded to a 50" LG plasma in search of better blacks)
Reply Latest Industry News

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page