A New Alternative: Dolby 3D - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 01-15-2013, 08:05 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 50

3D seems to be going through a nasty popularity contest. It started it off with the lack of content and now it seems to be the actual fact of wearing glasses in order to see 3D. Some people have reported having trouble wearing the glasses and getting headaches. Dolby seems to have potentially solved this matter.

Dolby announced at CES this year their new Glasses-Free 3D TV. Yes Dolby has a TV. They have created a Glasses-Free TV without the need for glasses and the 3D intensity can also be adjusted.
Quote:
You can customize the 3D intensity to your liking, so if you’re sensitive to 3D (like me) but still enjoy 3D films and TV, you don’t have to weight a headache against a good 3D viewing experience.

So how's does this work exactly?
Quote:
How it works: A pixel-accurate conversion/multiview-rendering module, which is “tl;dr” for “depth-accurate 3D video for glasses-free (or autostereoscopic) displays. It also converts 2D displays real-time into sharp 3D.
Quote:
Dolby 3D glasses-free set might not be the missing link that makes 3D entertainment a permanent staple in our culture, but if such a thing could exist, this might be it. There’s been a lot of tech introduced to help make 3D more “comfortable” or to reduce visual fatigue, but most of it still requires some sort of user device.

Dolby was smart when thinking about a customized-sensitivity setting on the display to better adjust it for more sensitive viewers. Will this be must-have gadget that will interest a mass market, or will this be another subtle feature to be added to the TV's feature list? Tell us what you think.

Source

Get all your A/V News at: AVS Latest News

Like AVS Forum on Facebook
Follow AVS Forums on Twitter

AVSForum
Bringing the AV Community Together
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 01-15-2013, 08:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by e39mofo View Post

Dolby was smart when thinking about a customized-sensitivity setting on the display to better adjust it for more sensitive viewers.

That is nothing more probably than a depth adjustment feature. If the ghosting is bad and you are sensitive to it, some viewers reduce the depth to reduce the ghosting. All it really does is reduce the 3D effect.

I am not sure about Dolby's glasses free system. Personally I would rather see their glasses system become a feature on projectors, since it eliminates the need for shutter glasses and a silver screen. Not sure though if it could work with a one projector systems. Basically Dolby's theater system is a more refined version of the old anaglyph 'red/blue' system.

post #3 of 11 Old 01-15-2013, 09:01 AM
Senior Writer @ AVS

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1732 Post(s)
Liked: 3066
As I read it, it's a Dolby system for video in a similar sense to how they process sound. It's a technology - and a logo sticker - an OEM can slap onto their product. It seems like they are revving up for a future of half-resolution streaming 3D content from Netflix/Cable and the forthcoming glasses-free TV sets from several manufacturers.

Find out more about Mark Henninger at www.imagicdigital.com
post #4 of 11 Old 01-15-2013, 09:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 174
I just don't care about glasses-less 3D at all. Very few displays can get 3D right with glasses so a glasses-free 3D set is just gunna b compromises. Guess brightness will be much better without the glasses sucking up light. I just dont think it's gunna be the next big thing.
Medenyx likes this.

JBL Pro Cinema
post #5 of 11 Old 01-16-2013, 01:49 PM

Liked: 13
Don't care how I want it now!
Polaris75, hyghwayman and Medenyx like this.
post #6 of 11 Old 01-16-2013, 02:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 25
We saw the latest prototype of this set during the HTF visit to Dolby late last year. Overall impressions were favorable but tempered with skepticism. At that time Dolby told us they did not intend to manufacture the sets themselves but to essentially provide a blueprint for manufacturers to follow to build their own, under license. I would not expect the first generation or two of this tech to set the world on fire, but I wouldnt be surprised if it is something that evolves and improves over time.

Buncha savages in this town....

Sam Posten
post #7 of 11 Old 01-17-2013, 01:12 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I thought it's a joint project with a dutch company founded by 4 ex-Philips employees called Dimenco Nabla

http://www.dimenco.eu/
post #8 of 11 Old 01-17-2013, 04:44 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 22
If it's anything like their theater 3d, stay away. I saw The Hobbit in HFR on a RealD screen and was blown away. A week later I watch the HFR version on a Dolby 3d screen and it sucked BIG time, it was practically flat. (to confirm it was not just a case of the second time not being as good, I went back to the RealD theater another week after that and it still rocked. I don't trust Dolby anymore.)
Medenyx likes this.
post #9 of 11 Old 01-18-2013, 06:40 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazarus Dark View Post

If it's anything like their theater 3d, stay away. I saw The Hobbit in HFR on a RealD screen and was blown away. A week later I watch the HFR version on a Dolby 3d screen and it sucked BIG time, it was practically flat. (to confirm it was not just a case of the second time not being as good, I went back to the RealD theater another week after that and it still rocked. I don't trust Dolby anymore.)

According to some AV journalists who were at the CES, the Dolby 3D has been one of the best Glasses-Free TV there is. This is just the beginning. It should and I believe it will get better in the near future.

Get all your A/V News at: AVS Latest News

Like AVS Forum on Facebook
Follow AVS Forums on Twitter

AVSForum
Bringing the AV Community Together
post #10 of 11 Old 01-18-2013, 06:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 353 Post(s)
Liked: 1185
Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnyS View Post

According to some AV journalists who were at the CES, the Dolby 3D has been one of the best Glasses-Free TV there is. This is just the beginning. It should and I believe it will get better in the near future.

I'm one of those AV journalists; Dolby 3D is the best glasses-free 3D I've seen yet, followed closely by Stream TV Networks' Ultra-D. I agree that it will only get better in the future.

Scott Wilkinson
AVS Editor
post #11 of 11 Old 01-18-2013, 06:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 353 Post(s)
Liked: 1185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazarus Dark View Post

It's nothing like Dolby 3D in the cinema, so no worries there. I had high hopes for that technology, but my experience of it has been pretty poor as well.

Scott Wilkinson
AVS Editor
Reply Latest Industry News

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page