Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 01-15-2013, 06:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Liked: 222
Quote:
It was a sad day for custom installers when NuVision, maker of the highly acclaimed Lucidium LCD TVs, was liquidated in 2011. But it may be sadder now that the brand is back. I was surprised to see it at CES 2013, when I stumbled across the logo way back in the LVCC central hall.
I was to learn that the company was acquired last year by TMAX Digital Inc., “a Consumer Electronics company created to provide leading edge entertainment products at value pricing,” according to the company Web site.

Value pricing indeed. TMAX is behind Apex Digital, beloved TV brand of Target, Walmart and other fine A/V retailers.

It wasn’t easy getting information on NuVision or TMAX in general at CES. I stepped inside the booth, where a couple of attendants sat at a table talking to each other and thumbing their mobile devices as I walked around snapping pictures and looking confused. They barely looked up so finally I asked if they could tell me anything about NuVision.

“No, not really,” they replied.

“Well, is there someone who can?

Apex and Nuvision at TMAX booth, CES 2013

Apparently annoyed that I interrupted their texting sessions, they stepped into the back room and dragged out an equally perturbed Eric Fishman, TMAX director of sales and operations, who wasn’t at all pleased to meet the pesky reporter inquiring about NuVision. During our five-minute conversation he never looked up from his phone, although to his credit I think he did apologize once.

He told me that NuVision was acquired last year by TMAX Digital Inc., but a Google search yields no evidence of such an event.

Fishman told me, “It’s hard to make money on TVs,” so they picked up NuVision as a margin booster.

No, they didn’t acquire physical assets or intellectual property, just the brand and Website, he said.

When I asked if he realized that Nuvision is, I mean was, a premium brand with some unique feature sets, he said he did indeed recognize that the former product line was “way in the stratosphere.”

Sad indeed. It seems that NuVision will go from a top quality manufacturer to just a brand name on low quality TV's aimed at making a sale due to name recognition.

Source: http://www.cepro.com/article/nuvision_is_back_with_strange_partner_at_ces_2013/

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 01-15-2013, 06:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked: 959

Even sadder still, NuVision had a reputation for high quality, but in my reviews of its TVs, I found them to be mediocre performers at best, nowhere near the quality they should have been for the money they were charging.

Scott Wilkinson
AVS Editor
Reply Latest Industry News

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page