Theatrical Releases Delivered to your Home - Prima Cinema - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 01-16-2013, 05:34 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Watching your collection over and over again can get sometimes get boring. Or in my case for example, I have so many Blu-Ray's, my wife can't make up her mind, so we end up going to the theaters to see a new release.

Going to the movies has it's perks and has it's disadvantages. At the theaters, you have people talking during the movie, on cell phones etc. After spending lot's of time and money in my Theater, I would much rather watch them at home and invite my own entourage. Well now you can.
Quote:
PRIMA Cinema is a California-based company that can make you a Hollywood insider. PRIMA members can enjoy newly released films at home as soon as they’re released in theaters.

So how does it work exactly?
Quote:
All they have to do is download (not stream) the movie for $500 (apiece) from the PRIMA unit, which connects via HDMI. The company promises that PRIMA will deliver much higher quality than Blu-ray disks as well as top-notch sound in lossless PCM or Dolby TrueHD.
Quote:
For security purposes, the unit even comes with a remote fingerprint reader, so that only the owner can play the movie. PRIMA also supports full HD and 3D films, with a particular focus on opening-weekend releases, and each device comes with 2TB of storage, which allows for 50 full-length films.

I should note that it’s not cheap. At a cost of $35,000 for PRIMA alone, the unit is for the early adopters and the elite.

Price is high since this is only the beginning. Apple already releases specific movies on iTunes during the Theatrical release for an added cost.

This is an interesting concept, is this something you would be interested in and how much would you pay for a service like this? Realisticly?

Source

Get all your A/V News at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Like AVS Forum on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Follow AVS Forums on

AVSForum
Bringing the AV Community Together
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 01-16-2013, 07:20 AM
Senior Writer @ AVS

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1080 Post(s)
Liked: 2240
Private screenings on opening day! $500 is not so expensive on a per-person basis for an opening-day screening, if your home theater can accommodate a dozen people or more. The $35,000 cost for the player is a severe barrier to entry but I'm sure that's going to drop.

Find out more about Mark Henninger at
post #3 of 8 Old 01-16-2013, 10:43 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I agree, I would love to see this more mainstream. That being said though, up here in Canada, Cineplex is spending lot's of money on expanding most of their larger theaters and creating AVX Theaters which include leather seats, seat selection, and a much better system including a bigger screen. That for me has already made a difference when I go see a movie, but not enough to go on a reg. basis.

I think for the most people who don't have theaters in there home, some will continue to go to the theaters, so I don't think this concept of bringing new Theatrical releases in your home will hurt. In fact, studios will profit more from it.

Like AVS Forum on
Follow AVS Forums on

AVSForum
post #4 of 8 Old 01-16-2013, 02:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 658 Post(s)
Liked: 408
A new toy for the .01%

Wake me when it's available for the rest of us. biggrin.gif
carolcityboyz likes this.

Listen up, studios! Just say "NO" to DNR and EE!!
post #5 of 8 Old 01-16-2013, 02:36 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Hitchman View Post

A new toy for the .01%

Wake me when it's available for the rest of us. biggrin.gif

Hey Dan, you don't have to wait too long. Just check on iTunes for releases in theatres, and you can rent for an additional fee. There isn't a ton of a selection, but it is a start.

Like AVS Forum on
Follow AVS Forums on

AVSForum
post #6 of 8 Old 01-16-2013, 02:58 PM
Senior Writer @ AVS

For a blockbuster new release on opening day, I'd pay up to $39.95 for an iTunes rental. If I can avoid it, I will never go to a movie theater again - it's been a couple years since I last tried & I cannot stand it, but sometimes I want to be able to chat about a new flick with my FB friends - I'd pay what it would cost for me to go out to the movies with my wife to stay home and watch it. I would not do that often, but sometimes yes. I did catch Kevin Smith's 'Red State' on iTunes as a pre-release. For most movies, I'd rather wait for Blu-Ray.
Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnyS View Post

Hey Dan, you don't have to wait too long. Just check on iTunes for releases in theatres, and you can rent for an additional fee. There isn't a ton of a selection, but it is a start.

post #7 of 8 Old 01-16-2013, 03:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 101
One day this sort of stuff will get cheap....more like a $250 player and $5 a movie biggrin.gif I know I'm dreaming

No subwoofer I've heard has been able to produce the bass I've experienced in the Corps!

Must..stop...buying...every bluray release...
post #8 of 8 Old 01-16-2013, 03:24 PM
Senior Writer @ AVS

Someone is going to figure it out, I agree. Some kind of hack-proof box that makes the studios feel all safe and secure that their stuff isn't being pirated. Probably some sort of big-brother camera built-in. While you watch the movie, the movie watches you - to make sure you are not recording it!

OK probably not. Apple will probably expand their selection and that's how everyone will come to accept it. They are essentially doing the same thing by releasing movies for purchase on iTunes a week before the Blu-Ray and the rental becomes available.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pokekevin View Post

One day this sort of stuff will get cheap....more like a $250 player and $5 a movie biggrin.gif I know I'm dreaming

Reply Latest Industry News

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page