Jurassic Park IV in 3D Announced - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 47 Old 01-16-2013, 05:49 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 50

Scheduled for release June 13, 2014, is Jurassic Park IV, which includes the promise of a 3D release. Not many details have been revealed about the new production, only that Steven Spielberg will be producing it.
Quote:
The first two films followed suit (unnecessarily, since unlike the original novel, Spielberg's Jurassic Park didn't nuke the island at the end of the movie, necessitating a new island to take its place), followed by Jurassic Park III, which revisited the first island again just for the hell of it. Are we really going to go back once again?
Quote:
Jurassic Park IV will be preceded by a re-release of the original Jurassic Park in 3D, scheduled for release on June 13, 2014.

Without any details of the new story, what do you think will happen in the new release?

Source

Get all your A/V News at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Like AVS Forum on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Follow AVS Forums on

AVSForum
Bringing the AV Community Together
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 47 Old 03-23-2013, 12:11 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnyS View Post

Scheduled for release June 13th 2014 is Jurassic Park IV which includes a promise of a 3D release. Not many details have been revealed on the new production, only that Steven Spielberg will be producing it and a director yet-to-be named.
Quote:
The first two films followed suit (unnecessarily, since unlike the original novel, Spielberg's Jurassic Park didn't nuke the island at the end of the movie, necessitating a new island to take its place), followed by Jurassic Park III, which revisited the first island again just for the hell of it. Are we really going to go back once again?
Quote:
Jurassic Park IV will be preceded by a re-release of the original Jurassic Park in 3D, scheduled for release on June 13, 2014.

Without any details of the new story, what do you think will happen in the new release?

The third movie did not feature the first island from JP1(Nublar), but Isla Sorna, the "factory floor"-Site B.
post #3 of 47 Old 03-24-2013, 07:29 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Nice to see them getting some of the old classics converted over to the new stereoscopic 3D format, especially now that they are figuring out how to do that right.
post #4 of 47 Old 03-24-2013, 11:20 AM
Senior Writer @ AVS

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1073 Post(s)
Liked: 2238
^^^Hooray for converted classics! Top Gun 3D was fantastic fun to watch, and I Robot looked just about perfect in 3D.

It's a good bet the new film is going to be a 3D effects extravaganza, lots of dinos sticking their heads through the screen

Find out more about Mark Henninger at
post #5 of 47 Old 03-24-2013, 11:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 95
I can't imagine it could be much worse than JP III. Like any other sane person, I loved the original. I think I'm one of the few who loved The Lost World, too.

ht Panasonic 60" ZT60, Monitor Audio: Silver RX6, RX Centre, Radius 90HD; Martinlogan Dynamo 700, Marantz SR5006, PS3, Oppo BDP-103D
2ch Sony KDL-32W650A, Sony BDP-S1000ES, Marantz PM8004, JVC T-X3 tuner, Monitor Audio Silver RX1, REL T3, Apple TV, Peachtree Audio DAC•iT, Sennheiser HD598
lr Panasonic 50" ST60, Sony BDP-S5100, Apple TV
pc Energy CB-5, Audioengine D1, FiiO A1
post #6 of 47 Old 03-28-2013, 09:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 60
yeah they visited the second island in the second and third movie... ~_~

Anyhow I cant wait despite what others think I enjoyed all of the movies, in fact the Lost World in theaters was just so so but then when I watched it again on Bluray it was like watching a whole new movie and I really enjoyed it, so yeah Im looking forward to the 4th movie and I plan to see Jurassic Park 3d the first weekend it opens at IMAX, going to go drive 3hrs to go see it smile.gif

post #7 of 47 Old 03-28-2013, 10:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 394
I can't wait, but has anyone seen the price tag on the JP1 3d conversion eek.gif

what gives with that?
post #8 of 47 Old 03-28-2013, 10:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mo949 View Post

I can't wait, but has anyone seen the price tag on the JP1 3d conversion eek.gif

what gives with that?

well when you want it done right that just means the Blu-Ray will be all that more epic ^_^

post #9 of 47 Old 03-28-2013, 10:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 394
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Chaves View Post

well when you want it done right that just means the Blu-Ray will be all that more epic ^_^

and I do biggrin.gif - i thought titanic was done really well and by the master himself, but it cost a lot less ---- so they better hit it out of the park at 40$
post #10 of 47 Old 03-28-2013, 11:44 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I just watched the series on Blu-Ray this week and still amazed on the picture quality and sound. If done properly, I might have to purchase the 3D version as well. Jurassic Park 3D should be hitting theaters prior to the release of Jurassic Park IV, so we can a glimpse of how well it was done before having to purchase it.

Like AVS Forum on
Follow AVS Forums on

AVSForum
post #11 of 47 Old 03-28-2013, 11:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnyS View Post

I just watched the series on Blu-Ray this week and still amazed on the picture quality and sound. If done properly, I might have to purchase the 3D version as well. Jurassic Park 3D should be hitting theaters prior to the release of Jurassic Park IV, so we can a glimpse of how well it was done before having to purchase it.

So wait Amazon has it preorder release April 23rd 2013? so is that when Jurassic Park 4 is coming out? because I thought that was next year?

post #12 of 47 Old 03-28-2013, 01:01 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:

So wait Amazon has it preorder release April 23rd 2013? so is that when Jurassic Park 4 is coming out? because I thought that was next year?

You are correct. It comes to theaters April 5th, 2013 to celebrate the 20th anniversary.

http://www.jurassicpark.com/

I wonder if they will re-release in 2014 lol.

post #13 of 47 Old 03-28-2013, 05:45 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

Your absolutely right Daniel Chaves, I guess the source information was off by a year or so...lol

Thanks for the update guys smile.gif

Like AVS Forum on
Follow AVS Forums on

AVSForum
post #14 of 47 Old 04-02-2013, 07:42 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 22
I think the 4th movie will deal with what Dennis nedry did and the company he tried to steal the Dino DNA for.If you all remember the first movie when he was rushing to the boat and he slips on the rocks...the shaving cream canister falls out of his pocket and is buried in the mud.I would think the fourth movie would be about the company going to the island and trying to aquire the canister Nedry lost and breed new dinosaurs... Just my thought...smile.gif

Doing what I do best...LIVIN!
post #15 of 47 Old 04-02-2013, 07:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh6113 View Post

I think the 4th movie will deal with what Dennis nedry did and the company he tried to steal the Dino DNA for.If you all remember the first movie when he was rushing to the boat and he slips on the rocks...the shaving cream canister falls out of his pocket and is buried in the mud.I would think the fourth movie would be about the company going to the island and trying to aquire the canister Nedry lost and breed new dinosaurs... Just my thought...smile.gif

Maybe but not for the canister as it was stated it had only something like 20hrs of coolant capability before the embryos would go bad.

post #16 of 47 Old 04-02-2013, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh6113 View Post

That plot-line has already been excellently worked on in Jurassic Park: The Game!
There is no reason for them to make a movie version out of it, unless the have run out of ideas. They should have something exciting out there for us and for everyone, including audience who are not fans of the series, or are not well acquainted with it.
post #17 of 47 Old 04-02-2013, 11:51 AM

Great point! The idea of converting older films to 3D seems like such a bad idea in most cases, unless it is really done right. In this case I think the studio understands how great Jurassic Park can be in 3D and they are willing to spend to get the best possible results.

post #18 of 47 Old 04-04-2013, 12:01 PM

Liked: 11
Jurassic Park 4. The dino's get ivy league education and slowly take over from the inside.

Those darn dirty reptiles !
post #19 of 47 Old 04-04-2013, 06:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 639 Post(s)
Liked: 404
And yet another example that Hollywood is now totally devoid of good, fresh ideas.

Listen up, studios! Just say "NO" to DNR and EE!!
post #20 of 47 Old 04-04-2013, 06:08 PM

How good will the original look converted to 3D though? Still, looking forward to seeing IV wink.gif
post #21 of 47 Old 04-04-2013, 06:10 PM
AVS Special Member

What the original needed more than a 3D conversion was a re-rendering of the dino CGI (actually less than 1080p at the time), as Spielberg himself wanted done.

post #22 of 47 Old 04-04-2013, 06:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 32
2 bad sequels weren't enough? We need a third bad sequel? mad.gif
post #23 of 47 Old 04-05-2013, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Hitchman View Post

What the original needed more than a 3D conversion was a re-rendering of the dino CGI (actually less than 1080p at the time), as Spielberg himself wanted done.
Then why didn't Spielberg do it?( That's what appears to be the case yet) Was it money? If he loved JP so much he'd have spent from his own pockets, and re-rendered the CG. But the CG models probably weren't kept intact, they are either lost, or it was too much of a hassle, time and money needed to do it.
post #24 of 47 Old 04-05-2013, 01:27 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 47
The original models still exist today for the most part. They were all re-used throuhgout all 3 of the past films. More than likely it came down to cost and time. It would more than likely have moved the release date of Jurassic Park 3D back to an uncomfortable date for Spielberg. That, and it could have been that the "new" CGI may not have gone over well with fans, as it may or may not have been to obvious.

If one is going to make a simplistic assessment of the value of different alignments, it would be that sealed/IB goes the lowest, at the highest cost per dB; horns have the lowest cost per dB at the expense of size, and vented box characteristics lie in between the other two. None is inherently superior across the board, neither is any inherently inferior across the board. The one to use is the one that fits your response and output needs, available space and bank account. -BFM
post #25 of 47 Old 04-05-2013, 08:44 AM

Just back from a 4.00 pm show of JP3D

The Good Things first: The 3D was wonderful! On a par with Titanic 3D!
Easily one of the best conversion jobs ever.
Didn't find any evidence of massive DNR, the picture looked clean with lots of detail.
The colours were rich and slightly warm, very film-like. But didn't look too much like a 90s movie to me, as it was so clean, and that's a good thing!
Sounded good too. An additional aspect of the soundtrack I will discuss below. There were quite a few pop out moments in addition to a very realistic depth perspective.
It was pure Nostalgia for me.

Now the things that bothered me:
1.The aspect ratio has been tampered with once again. The image has been zoom-boxed, cutting on all four sides, quite a lot. As a result Dinos heads get cut off slightly, eyes at the top edge of the screen get chopped off. The cropping was distracting(the ratio was still 1.85:1). The Imax 3D trailer was framed at 1.85:1, and there were even comparisons made with the Bluray(which was cropped), the 3D version was even more cropped than the Bluray. The framing of the IMAX3D trailer is exactly how it looked in the Laserdisc and VHS as well, but the cinema version has been cropped further than the 1.85:1 trailer cut. It makes me worry about the Bluray 3D.

2. The VFX models didn't lend themselves well to 3D. The lack of detail was clearly apparent and in contrast with the rest of the surroundings, which were 35mm footages.

Surprising things that I noticed: Lot more detail, individual objects, even the minutest ones are now clearly noticeable.
I also noticed the Pace of the film, it was like a roadrunner, one thing after another, barely ever slowing down.
I mean I've seen the movie countless times and know every single frame by heart, but never has its pace felt so relentless, my goodness( and no there was no speedup issues).
New additions:
There were definitely quite a few additions very clearly noticeable-
1. When the thunder strikes and the lawyer crouches, asking the doctors to head back to their cars, they have added a lightning flash visually, which was never there. And It makes the impact of the scene much better!
There are minor additional sounds added to the soundtrack(not the music track), extra velociraptor sounds when the deadly duo enter the kitchen, one of which clearly had a high-pitched cat sound.

2. The animatronic shots were the most impressive in 3D. However the final shot, when the T-Rex rears up to its full height in the Visitors center lobby and roars, knocked the earlier poor vfx 3D shots' balls out of the park. That last shot when the Rex Roars and the Banners fall was ABSOLUTELY EPIC, as it was in 2D when it originally came out. It had GREAT depth with the Tail swinging out of the screen+ it was highly detailed. I don't know how they could get the last CG shot with the T-Rex to look so detailed, imagined it to be lackluster like the other CG shots, the colour scheme of the Rex also looked slightly different, more colourful that is.
I'm catching it again on Sunday!
These didn't at all damage the experience for me, though the cat sound was a bit annoying and unrealistic(Well Gary Rydstrom succumbed to a little temptation it seems).
post #26 of 47 Old 04-05-2013, 09:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jindrak View Post

The original models still exist today for the most part. They were all re-used throuhgout all 3 of the past films. More than likely it came down to cost and time. It would more than likely have moved the release date of Jurassic Park 3D back to an uncomfortable date for Spielberg. That, and it could have been that the "new" CGI may not have gone over well with fans, as it may or may not have been to obvious.

The CGI textures for Toy Story and Toy Story 2 were re-rendered for their theatrical re-releases to give more subtle detail to the original designs. That's all they would to have done with the original skin textures created at ILM (the graphics didn't have much actual screen time), then rescan the original 35mm OCN's at 6k, and re-composite. It would have looked much better on an IMAX screen. They spent a boat load on the 2D conversion. Their priorities were f---'d up.

post #27 of 47 Old 04-05-2013, 11:53 AM

Liked: 24
The film has been completely digitally remastered for this 3D release and looks incredible IMO. See for yourself if you haven't already seen the example.

http://cdn.avsforum.com/9/93/935bb2ca_jurassicpark3dquicktime.jpeg

The 2011 BluRay release looked nothing like this.
post #28 of 47 Old 04-05-2013, 02:49 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirMaster View Post

The film has been completely digitally remastered for this 3D release and looks incredible IMO. See for yourself if you haven't already seen the example.

http://cdn.avsforum.com/9/93/935bb2ca_jurassicpark3dquicktime.jpeg

The 2011 BluRay release looked nothing like this.
That pic looks good and she is in focus but he isn't as much...great detail though...smile.gif

Doing what I do best...LIVIN!
post #29 of 47 Old 04-05-2013, 03:38 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Hitchman View Post

The CGI textures for Toy Story and Toy Story 2 were re-rendered for their theatrical re-releases to give more subtle detail to the original designs. That's all they would to have done with the original skin textures created at ILM (the graphics didn't have much actual screen time), then rescan the original 35mm OCN's at 6k, and re-composite. It would have looked much better on an IMAX screen. They spent a boat load on the 2D conversion. Their priorities were f---'d up.

Yes, except that Toy Story was completed animated, Jurassic Park was not. Minimal CG was used in comparison and it would stand out more.

If one is going to make a simplistic assessment of the value of different alignments, it would be that sealed/IB goes the lowest, at the highest cost per dB; horns have the lowest cost per dB at the expense of size, and vented box characteristics lie in between the other two. None is inherently superior across the board, neither is any inherently inferior across the board. The one to use is the one that fits your response and output needs, available space and bank account. -BFM
post #30 of 47 Old 04-12-2013, 04:39 AM

Jack Horner, who is an advisor on JP4, told USA Today:
"I can't actually tell you who that(the new dinosaur) will be, but you'll want to keep the lights on after you see this movie."
Few are guessing it to be the Carnotaurus Sastrei from The Lost World novel by Michael Chrichton!
And logic says they're probably right!
Reply Latest Industry News

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page