HDBaseT News and Updates - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 01-17-2013, 06:21 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 50

HDBaseT has been around for some time now and is continuously adding manufacturers to their alliance to build on integrating their technology into today’s consumer products to better integrate them under one roof. They definitely are making progress and have recently added both Onkyo and Pioneer to their roster and are set to release products this year.

Quote:
There are currently hundreds of HDBaseT products available, and with many more projectors, displays and A/V receivers scheduled to launch in the first half of 2013, consumers and professional installers will be able to choose components from a true interoperable HDBaseT ecosystem

Source of Article

HDBaseT also had a booth at CES displaying how easy it can be to distribute Video using a tablet and with a touch of a button, you can shuffle between sources and displays in a matter of seconds.
Quote:
I watched in awe as each input was simply shuffled around on both the app and the various monitors. All of this was happening between a simple “switch box” (currently just a reference design) and the single RJ-45 connection we’re used to associating with Ethernet.
To drive this home, we’re talking about shuffling HD audio, 4K video, gaming content, bandwidth, and IR-based controls effortlessly and instantaneously around your home.”

Source of Article

HDBaseT has become a red hot topic for both consumers and professionals due to the fact that you can stream high def content much easier and at greater distances. Not to mention the fact that eventually all your AV equipment will be hooked up to your home switch and all your gear will have an IP address, that’s pretty cool.

Are you an HDBaseT follower? Do you look forward to the future fruits of HDBaseT?

Get all your A/V News at: AVS Latest News

Like AVS Forum on Facebook
Follow AVS Forums on Twitter

AVSForum
Bringing the AV Community Together
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 01-17-2013, 12:18 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I use this technology as a simple extender to run from my receiver output to my projector. It's been rock solid for 2 years. Excited to see the new functionality coming and the fact that some big players are starting to incorporate it. If they do it right it should beat the pants off of HDMI.
post #3 of 8 Old 01-17-2013, 06:27 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
For those of us looking to pre-wire right now, what exactly are the recommended wires and quantities of runs to pull to anticipate greater use and functionality of HDBaseT in the future?

My Home Theater and Game Room Build -- IN PROGRESS
THE SPUD CELLAR
post #4 of 8 Old 01-17-2013, 07:41 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillywilly View Post

For those of us looking to pre-wire right now, what exactly are the recommended wires and quantities of runs to pull to anticipate greater use and functionality of HDBaseT in the future?

The wire most commonly run in homes during a pre-wire are cat5e cabling which can be used for almost anything and future HDBaseT. If you can get your hands on 2 boxes of 500', I would recommend pulling more than the min.

If your planning on centralising all your gear somewhere, going to the Tv you will need 2x cat5e for HDMi, 1 x for IR, and 1 x for network. I usually recommend having a 5th and a 6th passed in case you want to add wtv comes up. It seems like a lot but trust me, it's better to it when you can then when the walls are up or Reno's are over.

AVSForum
post #5 of 8 Old 01-18-2013, 12:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnyS View Post

The wire most commonly run in homes during a pre-wire are cat5e cabling which can be used for almost anything and future HDBaseT. If you can get your hands on 2 boxes of 500', I would recommend pulling more than the min.

If your planning on centralising all your gear somewhere, going to the Tv you will need 2x cat5e for HDMi, 1 x for IR, and 1 x for network. I usually recommend having a 5th and a 6th passed in case you want to add wtv comes up. It seems like a lot but trust me, it's better to it when you can then when the walls are up or Reno's are over.

I understand the philosophy behind running more than you need, but HDbaseT can pass HDMI, IR and network on a single cable, which is the appeal of the technology. So the minimum would be 1 to support the functions VinnyS describe. Pulling 1-2 more would be your futureproofing overkill.
post #6 of 8 Old 01-18-2013, 04:22 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by collin View Post

I understand the philosophy behind running more than you need, but HDbaseT can pass HDMI, IR and network on a single cable, which is the appeal of the technology. So the minimum would be 1 to support the functions VinnyS describe. Pulling 1-2 more would be your futureproofing overkill.

Agreed. The reason why I suggest this is because, it' always better to be safe than sorry. The other main reason is that HDBaseT is quite there yet. Also, depending if he want to add any future gizmo, Cat5e is almost universal. There are Baluns over Cat5 than extend almost any possible type of connection from USB to XLR. Cat5e is not too expensive either, your better adding more now and use less later.

AVSForum
post #7 of 8 Old 01-18-2013, 09:52 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
The price of CAT6 has dropped to the point where it is probably a better choice than 5e in my opinion. Be wary of CAT6A or "augmented" which is a step up from regular CAT6 however. The RJ45 connectors that are CAT6A rated are significantly more expensive and trying to terminate 6A with a regular RJ45 connector is not recommended (trust me on this one!). Multiple runs will allow for multiple options at install (for example: segregating your data network, or using 1 cable for data and 1 for voice, etc.). In hindsight, I would recommend 3-4 CAT6 and 2 RG6 to each drop. This is coming from someone that just ran 10k feet in a 3700 sq ft new construction project as an owner builder.

AI Limited
post #8 of 8 Old 01-20-2013, 03:02 PM

Liked: 10
If you want to pre-wire and be as future proof as possible for HDBaseT, you need to go with Cat6. I just read up on the HDBaseT protocol on their website, wikipedia, and some blogs. It appears that version 1.0 of the protocol will currently run at 1Gbps on Cat5e and allocate 100Mbps of it to normal network traffic. If I read between the lines of this comparison chart, it looks like a future version of the protocol will run at 10Gbps (given that the right equipment is present) and allocate 1Gbps to normal networking traffic. You can't currently use Cat5e for Ethernet speeds greater than 1Gbps. You can do 10Gbps with Cat6. Since Cat6 only costs a little more than Cat5e and you can still terminate it with Cat5e methods, I would spring for the Cat6.

I am not sure, but it seems like some people might be confused about how HDBaseT works. You only need 1 network cable that will carry video, audio, signaling, and data. You do not need to run multiple cables to split those jobs apart like you do when you are using baluns to simulate another protocol (like converting an HDMI cable into a Cat5e cable to overcome distance limitations or physical cabling challenges.) HDBaseT is an active protocol that permits point-to-point connections or allows you to wire all of your devices to a special central hub. With the hub, you can choose which source goes to which destination. That's an incredible feat when you take video clocking into account.

I just want Microsoft to invent a remote receiver for the wireless controller so I can have a couple wireless controllers in each room that has a screen and have 1 Xbox somewhere central.
Reply Latest Industry News

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page