Harman Kardon AVR 2700 and AVR 3700 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 01-17-2013, 08:12 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Writer @ AVS

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 617 Post(s)
Liked: 1667
Harman Kardon adds two new models to their latest line of networked AVR receivers. Eschewing a metal chassis for black plastic, HK's latest offerings are all about what's inside. Both receivers feature Airplay, auto-EQ, smartphone remote apps, DLNA 1.5 and a suite of surround processing options including HK's proprietary Logic 7. The AVR2700 is a 100 watt/channel 7.1 receiver, the AVR3700 adds preamp outputs, a second subwoofer output (7.2), ups the power to 125 watts and features Wi-Fi. Both receivers will be available Q1 2013.
Quote:
The two Harman Kardon AVRs include multiple wireless features, including AirPlay playback from any Apple iOS device, vTuner Internet radio to connect with thousands of terrestrial and Web-based stations and podcasts from around the globe as well as DLNA 1.5 Certified connectivity to stream from compatible devices on a home network. The Harman Kardon AVR 3700 also includes Wi-Fi connectivity. Multiple HDMI inputs – including those for 3D playback, CEC and Deep Color – as well as analog and digital jacks are included to connect with all home entertainment needs.

http://www.ecoustics.com/products/harman-kardon-avr-2700-3700/

Find out more about Mark Henninger at www.imagicdigital.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 01-17-2013, 08:20 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Writer @ AVS

Full disclosure - Just a few weeks ago I purchased the AVR1700 from Best Buy. I had no intention of doing so, because I think HK receivers are overpriced. Best Buy had the AVR1700 on sale for $199, normally it sells for $499. That's quite a mark-up and when you check out the actual unit, it's quite clear that material costs must be very low. These receivers are made of plastic and appear to used Class D amplification, so there's not much on the inside, either. The receiver does sound great and performs as expected. The new models - 2700 and 3700 - are not adding much value on the hardware front so keep your eyes open for another steep discount when these models hit the shelves. At half of MSRP the HK AVRs are a tremendous value. At full price they are somewhat competitive when it comes to features but $799 for a plastic box is a bit hard to swallow when the Sony STR-DN1030 is retailing for $499 retail and matches or beats the AVR 2700 spec-for-spec.

post #3 of 10 Old 01-17-2013, 08:26 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 50
I have to agree with you there imagic ^^^^^. I used to be a huge fan of HK products and they have lost there magic touch. I must say though that the 1700 you picked was a great price, I probably would have done the same.

I guess today's market requires them to compete with the Entry level Sony's and Pioneer's pricing on AVR's are insane and you get alot of bang for the buck.

I heard from a HK rep that they were supposed to be going back to their roots (all about sound) and I believe the AVR2700/3700 was going to be their comeback. I look forward to reading reviews.

Get all your A/V News at: AVS Latest News

Like AVS Forum on Facebook
Follow AVS Forums on Twitter

AVSForum
Bringing the AV Community Together
post #4 of 10 Old 01-17-2013, 08:32 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Writer @ AVS

HK is borrowing from Crown for their amplifier tech... even Mark Levinson can't stay away from Crown's amps. It's all under the same 'corporate umbrella'. The AVR1700 sounds good, which is what I expected. I am using the 1700 strictly as a 2-channel amp with analog input, dedicated to the tweeters on my mains. So yeah, I bought it for the amp and literally nothing else.
Quote:
It's no secret that Crown has influenced and even shared some of its technical know-how and designs with other brands within the Harman family of products. This type of cross pollination is bound to occur any time you have a parent company with several offspring, for it helps keep distribution and other costs low while hopefully keeping quality, both at the product and brand level, high.
http://hometheaterreview.com/mark-levinson-no-533h-multi-channel-amplifier-reviewed-1/
Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnyS View Post

I have to agree with you there imagic ^^^^^. I used to be a huge fan of HK products and they have lost there magic touch. I must say though that the 1700 you picked was a great price, I probably would have done the same.

I guess today's market requires them to compete with the Entry level Sony's and Pioneer's pricing on AVR's are insane and you get alot of bang for the buck.

I heard from a HK rep that they were supposed to be going back to their roots (all about sound) and I believe the AVR2700/3700 was going to be their comeback. I look forward to reading reviews.

post #5 of 10 Old 01-21-2013, 12:13 PM
T2k

Liked: 11
post #6 of 10 Old 02-13-2013, 07:04 PM

Liked: 10
Quick quick. I am new to the whole audiophile scene... Wanted to ask some people with some actual knowledge a quick question. I have a HK 7550HD avr and after 3 months it is cutting itself off frequently. HK tried to give me a 3650 which turns out to be a lesser model. I complained and was very vocal about my displeasure. After going up the chain and copying corporate on all my emails they have offered me a new 3700 instead of another refurb 7550. I only paid $600 for the 7550 and it is discontinued. It the 3700 an upgrade or should i just get a replacement 7550? Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated.
post #7 of 10 Old 02-19-2013, 07:29 AM

I bought this product and their are some issues with it, their are glitches in the software, if you a have a ARC connection the sound disappears, then the remote does not work and a full reset is needed.

In addition I bought the HKTS 220 wireless Subwoofer and the radio frequencies block your wireless connection to your Internet router when trying to connect, the other problem is, that is The AVR 370/3700 is Marketed as being 7.2, but if you hard wire the Sub woofers, there is only one trigger out, so you have to manually turn the other one off....

Considering the price of these products, you would not expect sub major problems and should have been ironed out at R & D stage for these basic operations.
post #8 of 10 Old 01-28-2014, 09:31 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 11
You bought which? The 2700 or the 3700?

55" Panasonic VT50 (hopefully snag a 65" VT60 before they are history)
Denon 5308ci (want to upgrade to a model with 3d HDMI pass-through)
Oppo Blu-Ray Player
2 KEF iQ90 Floorstanding Speakers for L&R Channels
KEF iQ60c Center Channel
4 KEF iQ8ds Di-Pole Surrounds
KEF PSW2500 Sub
Xbox 360
Xbox One
post #9 of 10 Old 03-05-2014, 02:40 AM

I lost my sound completely. What is ARC? I have the avr3700.

It was working fine and I just added my wireless antenna and connected to my wifi and plugged an iPad into the front and now I have no sound...
post #10 of 10 Old 03-06-2014, 04:24 AM

I wanted to add that I can hear the test tones on the manual speaker setup
Reply Latest Industry News

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page