Blockbuster: The thing that will not die! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 01-21-2013, 07:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Blockbuster will be shuttering about 300 stores (about 35% of its current locations) in the coming weeks. As you may know, the Dish network acquired the Blockbuster brand from bankruptcy almost 2 years ago.
Quote:
We continue to see value in the Blockbuster brand, and we will continue to analyze store level profitability and — as we have in the past — close unprofitable stores,” Dish spokesperson John Hall wrote in an email.

That value is still a question mark, but a recent purchase by Dish may give us a clue.
Quote:
Blockbuster as a break-even concern that could be a strategic beachhead should Dish enter the mobile broadband market. Dish recently put up an unsolicited $2.28 billion offer for wireless network Clearwire

I will tell you where I live, our local Blockbuster does a pretty brisk business. If that one ever closes, I know Blockbuster is doomed.

So what say you? When was the last time you were in a Blockbuster? Is this just another nail in the Blockbuster coffin? If you owned Dish network, what would you do with with Blockbuster?

Let us hear from you!

http://www.homemediamagazine.com/blockbuster/blockbuster-closing-300-stores-us-29414

John Burton

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 01-23-2013, 12:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
We just lost the local Blockbuster over the Christmas holidays; what's more disappointing though is how lousy Blckbuster's disc by mail service has become. It used to be so very good...
post #3 of 3 Old 01-23-2013, 07:58 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 22
I've always been tempted by Blockbuster disc by mail, but I have fought off that temptation. I'm wasn't sure it was still around.

John Burton

Reply Latest Industry News

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page