Youtube and Netflix challenge Airplay with DIAL - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 01-23-2013, 08:01 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Writer @ AVS

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1774 Post(s)
Liked: 3091
DIAL is an 'open' alternative to Airplay promoted by Netflix and Youtube. Designed to work over a home network 'app to app', any and all devices with DIAL-enabled apps installed will see each other share content. The initiative has the support of Samsung and Sony and Google, as well as Hulu and the BBC. DIAL will become available on compatible devices over the next few months as it is integrated into Netflix, Youtube and other apps.
Quote:
"the system allows mobile devices running a DIAL-enabled app to find other compatible devices, primarily smart TVs or set-top boxes, on the same network. From there, it will automatically open the app on that device as well. In practice, that means you can start up Netflix on your phone, connect to your TV, see the app open there, and start browsing for movies to play." - source

'Second Screen' experiences are definitely a trend, since most people already have one in their pocket.
Quote:
AirPlay can also send URLs from your iPad to your Apple TV to initiate playback of remote content, and of course it can mirror your iPad’s display on your TV screen. DIAL doesn’t do any of that, which was a deliberate design choice, Mirer told me:

“Once apps from the same provider are running on both screens, there are several feasible methods for implementing control protocols either through the cloud or on the local network. And not every service or application is focused on the same kinds of use cases. Rather than try to get universal agreement on these protocols and use cases, it seemed best to leave room for innovation.” - source

Find out more about Mark Henninger at www.imagicdigital.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2013, 01:21 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I'm good w/ pretty much any alternative to Apple. Will look forward to testing this on my Smart TVs when it debuts.
King J Gregory likes this.
Old 01-24-2013, 01:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: North of Mexico, South of Oregon, Not as far east as Vegas
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 182
Mobile DLNA anyone? My money is still on Apple.

"Bring out yer dead!".."Wait I'm not dead yet!"..(Sound Austrian here) "WRONG !!" (You know what happens next..)
Old 01-24-2013, 01:16 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Writer @ AVS

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1774 Post(s)
Liked: 3091
For the moment, Apple is stumbling in the stock market. Netflix stock is up 30% overnight on their good news - 2 million new subscribers. For this one day at least, it's better to have your money on Netflix.
I think Netflix and Google are such big players, people won't notice or care what the protocol is that allows their devices to be connected, so long as it works. There's nothing to indicate DIAL won't work as planned and achieve ubiquity.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenthplanet View Post

Mobile DLNA anyone? My money is still on Apple.

Find out more about Mark Henninger at www.imagicdigital.com
Old 01-28-2013, 01:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: North of Mexico, South of Oregon, Not as far east as Vegas
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post

For the moment, Apple is stumbling in the stock market. Netflix stock is up 30% overnight on their good news - 2 million new subscribers. For this one day at least, it's better to have your money on Netflix.
I think Netflix and Google are such big players, people won't notice or care what the protocol is that allows their devices to be connected, so long as it works. There's nothing to indicate DIAL won't work as planned and achieve ubiquity.

if it works Google has a mixed record on controlling standards. Apple has better control on it's tech. No actual money reference was inplied.

"Bring out yer dead!".."Wait I'm not dead yet!"..(Sound Austrian here) "WRONG !!" (You know what happens next..)
Old 01-28-2013, 02:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 794
Quote:
Originally Posted by filmphile View Post

I'm good w/ pretty much any alternative to Apple. Will look forward to testing this on my Smart TVs when it debuts.

+1. Never really cared for apple products, least of all "i" devices. It would be interesting to see if this can become an actual challenge to airplay. it does have some pretty heavy hitters behind it...time will tell.

I don't need snobs to tell me how to think, thank you!
Old 01-28-2013, 12:13 PM

Liked: 10
And why is this different than DLNA? It already works when properly implemented.
Old 01-29-2013, 06:02 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post

But Netflix stock had no where to go but up.
Old 02-07-2013, 08:45 AM

Liked: 12
We already have Miracast…why do we need something else?