Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 01-23-2013, 11:04 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Video Pioneer Sam Runco Receives Emmy Award

Foster City, CA – January 22, 2013 – The “Godfather of Home Theater” Sam Runco, founder of Runco International, was awarded an Emmy Award for a device that he developed, the Arc IV. The Arc IV allowed for the home viewer to manipulate the image on their television screen to display the standard square box of television, but also the HDTV image, as well as, the two most popular movie sizes.

The Emmy was awarded during the 64th Annual Technology and Engineering Emmy® awards held on Thursday, Jan 10, 2013, at the prestigious Bellagio Hotel in Las Vegas. On hand to congratulate Runco on this honor were his family, including wife Lori and children, Sam Jr, Nick and Sarah, as well as, dozens of friends and business associates.

Commented Sam Runco, "When Laserdisc emerged we were able to see movies in the aspect ratio (the shape) intended by the director but there was no way to manipulate it for the home television. For the first time consumers could see all of the movie, not one that was altered to fit an almost square old TV shape, but somehow we all felt cheated because there was so much unused screen on the TV and the picture looked "bandaid shaped". I saw possibilities with projection television that could not be achieved on a box TV. I started by playing around with a screen cut with a razor blade to the shape of the widest movie shape, CinemaScope. From there I played around with a video switcher that had 4 modes, each having the ability for setting height and width controls. I then modified those controls to all 4 aspect ratios (the shapes) that are used today, around the world. Three were guesses, educated maybe, good guesses, certainly, but still guesses. My techs and engineers then cleaned up my shoddy work to make it salable and the rest is history. All HDTVs sold today worldwide incorporate this technology."

With Sam Runco’s enormous success in technology, does he have anything he would have done differently? "It would have been very valuable to me in business to have gone for a law degree, not to practice, but to have that background for use in my business ventures. If I had studied law, I probably would have known to patent the technology that I developed, which is now used by almost all television manufacturers and would have created an income stream of billions of dollars. The law education would have also been useful in many other areas of my business dealings."

What does such a prestigious honor mean to Sam Runco? "Of course, it is a pleasure to have received the Emmy. Any time that a person is recognized by their peers for an accomplishment that is worthy of singling out is gratifying and this award is one of the most important that I have received. What is even more interesting to me is how much fun and enjoyment my wife and children are having with the Emmy award. That is a real pleasure to watch.”

"One thing that I really enjoy is that this can be an example to my children and other children that even if they do not have a college education, that they can achieve success as long as they go after a goal and work for it. Having said that it is so much easier if they have an education to base their work on."

It has been an outstanding couple of years of recognition for Sam Runco. Runco’s wife Lori agreed and added, "I love my husband Sam. What an excellent role model for our kids! Work hard, play fair and always acknowledge others’ success. Our family could not be more proud of him as we acknowledge this huge honor. Lifetime Achievement Awards, CEA Hall of Fame, Key to the City, and now the Emmy; by the way, we still make him take out the trash!"

Sam Runco was named the most influential person in the Consumer Electronics Industry from an industry survey completed by CE Pro an industry magazine in Janaury, 2013.

A few of his numerous other accomplishments are: CEDIA (Custom Electronics Design and Installation Association) Life Time Achievement Award, DealerScope Magazine Hall of Fame, AVS Forum Lifetime Achievement Award, CEA (Consumer Electronics Association) Hall of Fame, Member of Olympic Club, San Francisco, CA

David Bott
Founder - AVSForum

DISCLAIMER: All spelling and grammatical errors done on purpose for the proofreadingly challenged...:)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 01-23-2013, 11:09 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 43
It is with great pride I post this press release. Sam has not only been great for the industry, but also is someone I have the pleasure to call my friend and mentor. He has supported the AVS community over a number of years when going was tough. But Sam and Runco was always their for us.

Sam, thank you for all you have done and continue to do even in retirement for this fun and entertaining industry.

And Lori...thank you also of course. smile.gif As you, like Brenda is for me, have always been their.

David Bott
Founder - AVSForum

DISCLAIMER: All spelling and grammatical errors done on purpose for the proofreadingly challenged...:)

post #3 of 6 Old 01-23-2013, 11:19 AM
Senior Writer @ AVS

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1033 Post(s)
Liked: 2180
Bravo Sam. I did not realize he's the innovator that changed the way I watch TV forever and allowed me to say goodbye to movie theaters. He deserves that Emmy!

Find out more about Mark Henninger at www.imagicdigital.com
post #4 of 6 Old 01-24-2013, 12:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: North of Mexico, South of Oregon, Not as far east as Vegas
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 147
It's always nice to see an award go to someone truly deserving in the industry. Congratulations Sam!

"Bring out yer dead!".."Wait I'm not dead yet!"..(Sound Austrian here) "WRONG !!" (You know what happens next..)
post #5 of 6 Old 01-25-2013, 02:28 PM

Liked: 10
Congratulations and Way to go Sam & Lori!

Dan C
post #6 of 6 Old 01-26-2013, 03:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 46
I will always remember when Chuck Williams and I were having dinner at a Foster City restaurant and I was wearing the Runco jacket. Lori, whom I had never met before, spotted me and came over and asked where I got it. I told her both Chuck and I were repair techs for Runco, he in DC and me here. She introduced herself and asked us to join Sam and her at their table.

We graciously accepted - I had never met Sam at that point yet - and spent the next bit of time schmoozing with Sam and Lori. Eventually we went back to our table and when it was time to pay the bill, we were informed that Sam had already paid it!

Runco has been a top notch provider's provider in the industry forever, as far as I am concerned, and Sam in particular has always been the consummate host and most gracious professional you could possibly imagine.

Go Sam!

B

Robert Jones
Image Perfection
510-278-4247
650-333-4808 cell
bob at imageperfection dot com
www.projectiontvtroubleshootingadvice.com
YouTube channel: mrbobbigscreen

Reply Latest Industry News

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version