OLED VS 4K (UHD)...? - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 36 Old 01-26-2013, 06:54 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I think the question this thread is actually trying to ask is: would you prefer a 1080P OLED display or a 4K LCD display.

Since the only thing I have seen in 1080P OLED territory is 60 Hz sample-and-hold, I'd say 4K LCD.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 36 Old 01-27-2013, 07:51 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Quote:
It was a reasonable question to ask AVS'ers, and I repeat my main question: "which one is more meaningful to you? OLED or a UHD (4K) TV?"

The only reasonable answer to this question is neither yes nor no! ( Which makes about as much sense as the question. )

Vinny- In all seriousness, would you please restate your question in this way-

which one is more meaningful to you? OLED ( 2K ) or a LED (4K) TV?

This is a valid question because we now can choose whether resolution and detail or deeper richer more glossy color is most important.

Now there is a choice a few of us could make as we have actually seen and compared the two. I have videos of them on my YT channel and for those who can see 3D stereographics on You Tube, I videoed the monitors with a special filter that preserves the 3D as it was seen in the demo, not a double image like other bloggers and reviewers record.
What I can't reproduce for you is the actual 4K detail in the full screen shot but I zoom in on some of the screens to show the detail that the screen does preserve with 4K. On OLED, I cannot reproduce the actual color intensity and brightness and saturation of OLED on your TV but you can see that the image is far more color intense than the LED with similar content, even those 4K TV's I shot.

What is more obvious in my samples on YT of the OLED is the defects I see in the image. Most obvious is the defect of much higher reflections in the blacks of OLED screens. Maybe some of you have learned to ignore this ( like some learned to ignore rainbows on DLP) as these reflections are also present in LED panels too but nowhere nearly as obvious ( in my viewing). Regardless of the longevity of the screen life and the present day cost, until they correct the reflections I see on these screens I will not be a buyer at any price. Maybe that will satisfy Vinny as to my answer.

So, as one who has seen the OLED 2K and 4K, and LED 4K TV's in various sizes and various manufacturers, I can say that regardless of price, I choose 4K LED Passive TV made buy Sony with LG being a close second for demonstrating the most natural, realistic looking picture with the least artifacts. But that's just my opinion and I have also stated my price threshold and will be a paying customer. But don't take my word for it as I have my own criteria and I'm not a self appointed expert like the bloggers claim to be, especially those who haven't even seen the technology but have literary opinions.

Rumor info- Friday I was talking to a sales rep at the Magnolia center at local Best Buy- He was telling me that they received word that the LG OLED will be soon out and they received pricing already. He was interested in my observation on OLED problems since he was not at CES. He did tell me that the reflections issue was not just me but he has gotten lots of negative feedback on Panasonic Elite and others that have deep glossy blacks. He agreed that this issue is a common complaint but commented that he liked Sharp since they seem to have less reflections.

So, it looks like LG is eager to push the OLED soon and be first to retail. Do they have the longevity under control? One thing is certain and that is getting them out sooner will bring the prices down sooner.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Don Landis
post #33 of 36 Old 01-27-2013, 08:10 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Callsign Vega- We have to be careful about bringing in the frame refresh rate into the comparison because the frame on LED refreshes not all at once but over a period of time while the OLED can switch to a whole new frame in an instant. Both Joe Kane demonstrated this phenomena with his high speed videographic experiments as well as a rep at Samsung explained this in his presentation of the OLED multiview TV demonstration where they could switch 4 different TV programs with 60 hz refresh rate on a total refresh of 240 Hz. You watch each of 4 programs with glasses set to shutter off the other 3/4 of the switch. Amazing but it works! With LED at 240 hz each of the programs would be viewed with a flicker as the frame is built over time on the screen. Not to get off topic but to bring up refresh rate when comparing OLED to others is not quite a fare measure by the numbers.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Don Landis
post #34 of 36 Old 01-27-2013, 08:37 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Landis View Post

Vinny- In all seriousness, would you please restate your question in this way-

which one is more meaningful to you? OLED ( 2K ) or a LED (4K) TV?

Hey Don, Your absolutely right about that. I should have specified the question more precisely. I guess I assumed most would understand, but duly noted nonetheless. wink.gif

As for the LG rumour, I wouldn't be surprised. LG's OLED utilizes an LED with an RGB filter as well as a White LED. Samsung uses a true Red, Blue, Green LED and rumours has it that Blue LED's has a very short life span which is why Samsung hasn't been able to release an OLED in time. As far as I've heard from credible journalists, the true RGB OLED seem to have a much nicer and truer picture. LG has gone a slightly different route and somewhat found a way to beat the blue lifespan using filters, but which one is truer? This again is only what I've heard throughout the net and other journalists.

Get all your A/V News at:

Like AVS Forum on
Follow AVS Forums on

AVSForum
Bringing the AV Community Together
post #35 of 36 Old 02-03-2013, 12:40 AM

Liked: 10
I was wondering which size was that Sony UHD OLED? If the television is 55 inches would you be able to see the difference with UHD? Also when is Sony going to launch this television or was it Prototype for things to come? Could you please elaborate on your comments please.
post #36 of 36 Old 02-03-2013, 01:40 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blove23 View Post

I was wondering which size was that Sony UHD OLED? If the television is 55 inches would you be able to see the difference with UHD? Also when is Sony going to launch this television or was it Prototype for things to come? Could you please elaborate on your comments please.

Hi Blove23, Sony has an 84inch UHD OLED display available for purchase, not a prototype. It retails at roughly $24,000 and Somy had announced that will would lend out a server with 4K content (some new movies as well as some 4K eye candy footage). I haven't seen the 55inch UHD display so unfortunately I won't be able to comment.

Can anyone who has seen a UHD 55-60inch display care to share their experience?

Get all your A/V News at:

Like AVS Forum on
Follow AVS Forums on

AVSForum
Bringing the AV Community Together
Reply Latest Industry News

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page