post #61 of 96 Old 10-09-2013, 12:06 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by adidino View Post

I picked up the 305 a couple of weeks ago for my office to use as a desktop speaker. Connected them to my MYTEK DSD dac. They sound great.

This is exactly what I wanted to hear!! (No pun intended)

I need to test a set out ASAP!

McIntosh Labs!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
to
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 96 Old 10-09-2013, 12:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by oOOBillO0o View Post

This is exactly what I wanted to hear!! (No pun intended)

I need to test a set out ASAP!

Just pick up a pair of Guitar Center. They have a 30 day return policy. No brainer.

Owner, AudioXtream.
Authorized Dealer for Kef, Triad, Bryston, Auralic, Audeze, Grado, Audioquest, Marantz
post #63 of 96 Old 10-09-2013, 01:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked: 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by oOOBillO0o View Post

Noah, I think they found a market that no one else has. What other company has a Midfield Monitor, Crossover and Amplifier package for ~$20,000?

What does that have to do with a hole in their model lineup?

Noah
post #64 of 96 Old 10-10-2013, 06:10 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Sean Olive (who doesn't seem to post here any more frown.gif - loved reading his posts) certainly likes the M2's:
Quote:
This is my current favorite sounding loudspeaker that incorporates the best engineering minds and technology shared across Harman consumer, professional and Corporate divisions. Check out the measurements on the link: they are very linear across both horizontal and vertical orbits. They also include our room calibration EQ so that the bass is more consistent from room to room. This is very important if you want to produce or reproduce recordings that sound good in any listening room,

Cheers
Sean Olive
Director of Acoustic Research, Harman International
President-Elect, Audio Engineering Society
Audio Musings

source: http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/jbls-northridge-speaker-test-facility.321245/#post-9037038

adidino,

Any more thoughts on the 305's would be most welcome!
post #65 of 96 Old 10-10-2013, 06:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zzzzz... View Post

Sean Olive (who doesn't seem to post here any more frown.gif - loved reading his posts) certainly likes the M2's:
source: http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/jbls-northridge-speaker-test-facility.321245/#post-9037038

adidino,

Any more thoughts on the 305's would be most welcome!

I listen to them pretty regularly in my office. I have no complaints. The image great, well balanced and produce lots of detail. Could use a sub which I plan to do at some point. No brainier for the price.

Owner, AudioXtream.
Authorized Dealer for Kef, Triad, Bryston, Auralic, Audeze, Grado, Audioquest, Marantz
post #66 of 96 Old 10-10-2013, 07:36 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1014 Post(s)
Liked: 867
Quote:
Originally Posted by noah katz View Post

Hmm, they're arguably missing the size/cost/performance sweet spot, which would be a 12" version.
Yup. And the price gap reminds me of someone wanting 8 channels of Trinnov room correction: either $12K for the ADA outboard unit or $600 for a Sherwood receiver. Likewise, if you want to try out the new Harman waveguide: either $12K for the M2+amp combo or $249 for the next model down. That's some gap.

Sanjay
post #67 of 96 Old 10-11-2013, 10:15 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Let's hope it's because JBL knows 12" is the most important and are spending extra time getting it right (or perhaps more likely, cost engineering it).

Noah
post #68 of 96 Old 10-18-2013, 04:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post

I would like to see it compared to the SEOS-18" with BA-750 and a JBL 2226. I bet they would be a whole lot closer sound wise, than they are money wise. smile.gif

+1

I'd love to see that too. I bet it'd b close.

JBL Pro Cinema
post #69 of 96 Old 01-10-2014, 08:03 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Hello every one i would like to post my impression on these speaker as i have auditioned them for 3 hours and have purchased a set with matching itech5000 amp with the bss soundweb eq on board

My journey started with me buying a new cinema system for my new home as my new room was quite a bit larger then my old one and needed upgrading

I purchased 3 4722 with 8 8340a and 2 4645c front runing off dsi2000 each surround on 2 dsi2000 each and the substage off a dsi6000 all in a active configuration runing off a datasat ap20 pro procesor truly a top of the line system all packed in a room that is 30x24x9 runing a baffle wall custruction

Wen the canadian rep told me about these and how rare they where it got my curiousity as he offered to ship some to me for audition

I accepted without hasitating and he shipped them to audio shop in ottawa for me to hear them and to my suprised sami drove 6 hours to give me the run down on these himself and eq the room to perfection

Sami as extensive knowledge on tuning and is very tech savy he absolutely loves is job and it is a passion for him

The thing you need to understand on these is that they are only available in a active configuration and they need to run on the top of the line crown itech 5000 series

You cannot separate the speakers from the amp as they where designed hand in hand

The advantage of runing a active setup is that wen normaly runing passive network by the time every thing is passed the passive network you end up with close to no damping what so ever

Now what you need to also take note is that the itech5000 series have a astonishing 5000damping factor with 200v which is also the highest in the industry

Also by runing the eq off the amp directly it is 6db quieter then any outboard crossover available

My audition was noting short of spectacular i have heard 250k system in 150k room design and it never even came close to what i heard on these in a room that was put together in a day

The dynamic and speed was infinite it was so impressive that i bought a set!

They are truly full range speaker and there bass is uncolored and extremely distortion free keep in kind that this is a tool but they also are extremely musical

There top end have amazing snap clarity and extension un heard of the sound stage was also out of this world with pin point imaging and multiple layers of instrument could be heard one on top of the other with amazing clarity

these are truly a game changer guys and if you are truly serious and can fork the 20k for these noting will come close to these not even the everest dd66700 at 70k

We ran a few sources off them and we ended up liking my source the best it gave them a amazing edge on the system i ran a mcintoshd100 dac/pre based off the ess sabre

All in all guys i have been cnverted to jbl pro noting compares noting come close there is not smokes and mirors just great engeneering and sound philosophy from them

Thanks for taking the time to read this long post smile.gif

I will post pics and videos wen my room is complete in may

Pl
chjo100 and JonasHansen like this.
post #70 of 96 Old 01-13-2014, 04:21 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Very nice review - thanks! And congrats with your new speakers.

I myself have a JBL Pro ScreenArray cinema system but I am considering if it would be worth upgrading my LCR (4722) to 3xM2. How would you compare their sound? I already have the BSS Soundweb London and Crown amps so I should be ready for the M2's.

JBL ScreenArray Cinema | 9.4 Surround | 136" Scope
post #71 of 96 Old 01-23-2014, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by idlewild82 View Post

these are truly a game changer guys and if you are truly serious and can fork the 20k for these noting will come close to these not even the everest dd66700 at 70k

Ok, but have you heard the everests side by side this model. Going my memory isn't the ultimate comparison. Besides, they're 2 different animals, imo.

The Las Vegas Audio club:
post #72 of 96 Old 01-23-2014, 04:00 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegasdave View Post

Ok, but have you heard the everests side by side this model. Going my memory isn't the ultimate comparison. Besides, they're 2 different animals, imo.
How would you describe the differences between the M2 and Everest? (Sounds like you have heard them both).

JBL ScreenArray Cinema | 9.4 Surround | 136" Scope
post #73 of 96 Old 01-23-2014, 07:25 AM

i have heard these speaker in a show that we have and you are right that i have not heard side by side and wen i heard the Everest it was so long ago but the imaging on the m2 is flawless much more precise from my memory

You have to understand why the m2 are faster and more dynamic it is only a result of design it is due to them being active and not passive you normally loose all the damping factor wen they pass true a crossover and i think it is one of the reason
that speaker is so fast and dynamic

I am not saying that the Everest is not good it is an amazing speaker but i think that the design and result that the m2 gave me was absolutely amazing and i don't think i would ever want anything else in my room and i was actually thinking of burying some Everest for my dedicated room
since i have that kind of budget to play with and i ended up with the m2 instead and it never even came back to my to in my head to re audition the Everest again since i was so impressed with the m2

Another thing you guys can look for in the future is a version of the m2 in the synthesis line eventually and they will be allot more expensive keep in mind that the pro stuff as to be accessible to every professional at a certain price point since they want this monitor to be a reference used across the world

it is truly and amazing bargain at 24k retail smile.gif
JonasHansen likes this.
post #74 of 96 Old 01-23-2014, 12:57 PM

Quote:

i have heard these speaker in a show that we have and you are right that i have not heard side by side and wen i heard the Everest it was so long ago but the imaging on the m2 is flawless much more precise from my memory

You have to understand why the m2 are faster and more dynamic it is only a result of design it is due to them being active and not passive you normally loose all the damping factor wen they pass true a crossover and i think it is one of the reason
that speaker is so fast and dynamic

I am not saying that the Everest is not good it is an amazing speaker but i think that the design and result that the m2 gave me was absolutely amazing and i don't think i would ever want anything else in my room and i was actually thinking of burying some Everest for my dedicated room
since i have that kind of budget to play with and i ended up with the m2 instead and it never even came back to my to in my head to re audition the Everest again since i was so impressed with the m2

Another thing you guys can look for in the future is a version of the m2 in the synthesis line eventually and they will be allot more expensive keep in mind that the pro stuff as to be accessible to every professional at a certain price point since they want this monitor to be a reference used across the world

it is truly and amazing bargain at 24k retail smile.gif

I see. Well, it is tough to get these speakers side by side. Few if any dealers can do this for you. So, I'm not damning you for going by memory, but it would be a more fair comparison, you see.

Ok, cool, I bet it is truly amazing. And the price is a lot lower than the Everest. Which is a big plus of course.

I would like to hear the "high end" set up with the Levinson electronics...

However, there's a few dealers blowing out the older DD66000 models at $25k/pair USD. That is very enticing.
idlewild82 likes this.

post #75 of 96 Old 01-23-2014, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonasHansen View Post

How would you describe the differences between the M2 and Everest? (Sounds like you have heard them both).

No sorry, I haven't had the pleasure of hearing the M2s yet. I have heard the everests a few times over the years. cool.gif

post #76 of 96 Old 01-23-2014, 01:38 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

You have to understand why the m2 are faster and more dynamic it is only a result of design it is due to them being active and not passive you normally loose all the damping factor wen they pass true a crossover

That's not correct except perhaps for cheap dept store speakers, and even if it were the effect of damping factor is one of the often overstated myths of audio, and besides that it only has an effect at driver and/or box resonance.

Noah
post #77 of 96 Old 01-24-2014, 06:15 AM

We will have to disagree on that it does affect it in the end

Have you heard an active vs passive configuration ?
post #78 of 96 Old 01-25-2014, 09:28 AM

Here is a simplified explanation on the subject

Disatvantage of a passive cross over

1) Back EMF (electro motive force) goes back into the X/O, interferes with the input signal from the amplifier.
2) Passive X/O buffers the amplifier from the drivers resulting in loss of damping, loss of direct amplifier control over the drivers.
3) Loading effects, inductors, magnetic coupling, larger Cs, and parameters less adjustable.
4) Passive network wastes power, lowers efficiency, requires higher wattage amplifier to compensate.
5) Differing impedance of various drivers and the resulting phase shifts from the X/O present a difficult load for the amplifier, especially 1st order X/Os.
6) X/O properties and accuracy varies with power and temperature resulting in shifting properties and inconsistant linear response.
7) Low order X/O reduces phase & time shifts but introduces other issues. Greater frequency sharing between drivers, and higher strain on drivers due to wider bandwidth demands increases distortion, both THD and intermodulation, induces interference patterns, amplitude irregularities, driver resonances, cone breakup, and hampers off-axis response.
8) High power draw in a specific frequency range, usually the bass, may cause amplifier clipping and possible damage to the woofer, midrange, or most likely, the tweeter. The amp has to deal with the combined complex impedance load and power draw.

Advantages of Passive X/O

1) Plug & Play simplicity.
2) One amp, one cable, done.
Disadvantages of Active X/O

1) Residual noise from X/O, less of an issue for digital processors.
2) Greater susceptibility to EMI (electromagnetic interference), and RFI (radio frequency interference).
3) Multiple amps & cables, more complex setup.

Advantages of Active X/O

1) Direct control of each driver by its own amplifier.
2) Easier impedance load on the amp.
3) No loss of power or damping factor.
4) Reduced clipping. If clippings occurs, only one driver/amp is affected.
5) Crossover works at line level maintaining its design properties.
6) Each amp deals with only a specific bandwidth.
7) Reduced harmonic distortion.
8) Reduced intermodulation distortion.

smile.gif
chjo100, JonasHansen and vegasdave like this.
post #79 of 96 Old 01-27-2014, 09:49 AM
AVS Addicted Member

All that's true, but the fact remains that a well executed passive XO can sound just as good as an active one, especially with high efficiency drivers with matching directivity at XO, though execting well with active can be easier albeit more expensive.

I stand by my statement about damping factor.

Noah
post #80 of 96 Old 02-08-2014, 05:02 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:

I'm definitely looking forward to for a consumer version that uses the D2 driver.

I recently purchased the JBL Studio 580 and 530 series. They have excellent dynamic, clarity, speed, imaging, wide sound stage and texture. Piano reduced so realistic. This is one of the most relaxing and less shouting compression driver and waveguide that I have a listen to.

Do you feel the D2 dual compression driver remove the horn shouting completely?

The other driver that I'm very interested is the RAAL tweeter that tends to have good dynamic, speeds, decay, wide sound stage, clairty like compression driver and horn provide.
post #81 of 96 Old 03-05-2014, 02:05 PM

I heard the M2 last year at the AES show.

Its amazing.

I have liked horn systems for some things, but don't like a lot of the "traditional" ringing and distortion that can be generated. It ain't there in this system.

I think system has to be stressed when talking about this speaker system. Its designed as a package and that is what delivers the performance, no mixing and matching here. Could it be done? Perhaps, but they did their homework on this system.

I did not have as long to hear it as Idlewild82 did, lucky dog, but it was immediately apparent that this a quality product that helps move the goal post.

I don't think you could fit this into a room and have another system in as well, not gonna happen.

I am a music industry professional and hear lots of systems and rooms, I work with mastering engineers and studios primarily, but have spent my time in the trenches mixing live shows (mostly acoustic, folk, big band, trad, jazz etc)

and I repeat, it was amazing.

no paid endorsement, Harmon and JBL have pissed me off plenty over the years, but they did a great job on this.

Idlewild, could we have a report on actually living with the system??

Alan

Waltzing Bear Audio

post #82 of 96 Old 04-01-2014, 02:42 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Bump for any JBL M2 updates .....

Thanks!
post #83 of 96 Old 06-25-2014, 08:20 AM

Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeinid View Post
Bump for any JBL M2 updates .....
Thanks!
For those who are not familiar with Aix Records and/or real HD Audio; here is Dr. Mark Waldrep's apreciation ...

"I've listened to my stuff through the top of the line B&W 800Ds, the German Physiks Emperor MK II ($400 a pair!) and lots of other speakers but nothing can compare to the accuracy, smoothness and detail I heard from the JBL studio monitors."

http://www.realhd-audio.com/?p=3122
post #84 of 96 Old 06-30-2014, 09:21 AM

Thank you so much for the update! I really appreciate the link.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRNE View Post
For those who are not familiar with Aix Records and/or real HD Audio; here is Dr. Mark Waldrep's apreciation ...

"I've listened to my stuff through the top of the line B&W 800Ds, the German Physiks Emperor MK II ($400 a pair!) and lots of other speakers but nothing can compare to the accuracy, smoothness and detail I heard from the JBL studio monitors."

http://www.realhd-audio.com/?p=3122
post #85 of 96 Old 07-02-2014, 12:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 243
Look like decent speakers but they would need to beat the amazing sound of my more expensive avantgarde duo omega horns. The avantgardes sound amazing when setup properly in my room.

I am tempted to blow my cash load and buy avantgarde trio omegas for around $50k since I cant even find a proper current generation used pair.

I always keep other horn speakers on the list just in case i can get very similar sound for a lot less money.

I wish i can hear these JBL's. I havent heard any of the other JBL "big" speakers ... And most of them are a deco disaster.
post #86 of 96 Old 07-05-2014, 09:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by blazar View Post

I wish i can hear these JBL's. I havent heard any of the other JBL "big" speakers ... And most of them are a deco disaster.
That's quite a comment from a Duo Omega owner.

As it is said, "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder."

What I can afford, when I can afford it...
post #87 of 96 Old 08-06-2014, 05:16 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 27
What are the JBL M2s like in 5.0 configuration for those who are feeling extremely flush?! There also needs to be a sub of equal decadence to bring the low-end down from 20Hz to sub-10Hz.

How feasible would it be for JBL to create a self-contained active version of the M2 that doesn't require one Crown I-Tech 5000HD per unit?
post #88 of 96 Old 08-06-2014, 05:28 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by adidino View Post
Some feedback from Home Theater mag
http://www.soundandvision.com/conten...nema-solutions
Quote:
The $46,000 consumer package shown at the CEDIA Expo combines a pair of M2s with four Mark Levinson No 531H 300-watt monoblock amps and an SDEC 3000 digital EQ/crossover. The SDEC 3000 also allows an installer to do room correction on the speakers.
http://www.soundandvision.com/conten...-best-jbl-ever
post #89 of 96 Old 08-09-2014, 08:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 202
I had the opportunity to listen to the M2's the other day. They are definitely amazing speakers. Certainly the most realistic and revealing speakers I've ever had the pleasure to listen.

The listening window was remarkably wide and consistent. I was on an office chair rolling around in front of them and the "sweetspot" seemed to be everywhere between the speakers.

Compared to speakers I've heard, they're definitely on another level of realistic sound reproduction. The fact that it's 2 way CD design is remarkable. Maybe I've been looking in all the wrong places, but I've been searching for years and was convinced I would not find a design that had diaphragm/ribbon clarity and extension AND the crazy dynamics and high output of a compression driver. At least not at a price that I can justify. The cost on these is what I consider "very uncomfortable", but not "unobtanium".

Search over.

CHT SHO-10 x 5 powered by Denon 4311 and Lab Gruppen 10000Q amp
JTR S2 x 2
CHT 18.1 x2
Oppo BDP103D bluray player/Sonos/PS3
post #90 of 96 Old 08-13-2014, 06:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Are they actually compensating for interference between the drivers at all angles with the geometry of the horn?

Does anyone have a link that explains the process of designing horns like that? It would be interesting to read about.
Reply Latest Industry News

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page