Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #91 of 96 Old 08-19-2014, 12:42 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Even if I had all the money in the world, I wouldn't get M2s for surround speakers. Talk about overkill.

On this basis of this thread, I've ordered some JBL LSR308s with a pair of Art CleanBox Pro to convert from RCA to XLR. Hope they sound clean!

This way I can use an Oppo BD player as a prepro. Eventually I'll add some 305s to my rear channels and maybe even for heights in an Atmos setup, unless I can get something more convenient. Seems kind of risky to have powered speakers /w amps mounted overhead on the ceiling. What if they fall! Eeeek. Might be smarter to get some passive concentric drivers for those channels. Does JBL make ceiling speakers like that?

Thanks for the tips, I'm really looking forward to owning some horn speakers with a nice and wide sound field. I used to have Klipsch THX 650s but they were too large for my apt and I had amp issues.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 96 Old 08-20-2014, 07:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zzzzz... View Post
Any more thoughts on the 305's would be most welcome!
I have the 305s, 2310P sub, and MSC1 controller as my desktop monitors in a room with acoustic treatment. Excellent imaging, clarity, and easy to listen to for long periods of time. I've been an audiophile since the 60s and this setup is the best bang for my buck yet. I've heard the M2s..WOW!
post #93 of 96 Old 08-20-2014, 11:40 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I love reading these impressions - keep them coming!

For those of you who haven't done so already, a must see is this podcast by Scott Wilkinson on the M2:

New JBL Speaker Technologies

One of the guys he talks to worked on elements of the M2 and there is over an hour of great M2 info.
post #94 of 96 Old 08-23-2014, 05:23 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLBURNSIDE View Post
On this basis of this thread, I've ordered some JBL LSR308s with a pair of Art CleanBox Pro to convert from RCA to XLR. Hope they sound clean!
Given the output from the RCAs will be unbalanced, what is the advantage to using the ART CLEANBox Pro to, say, the cheap 30cm PULSE PLS00202: http://cpc.farnell.com/1/1/63818-lea...202-pulse.html , and then a couple of regular XLR cables?
post #95 of 96 Old 08-23-2014, 12:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by dabotsonline View Post
Given the output from the RCAs will be unbalanced, what is the advantage to using the ART CLEANBox Pro to, say, the cheap 30cm PULSE PLS00202: http://cpc.farnell.com/1/1/63818-lea...202-pulse.html , and then a couple of regular XLR cables?
XLR inputs on pro gear are typically at +4db whereas RCA is at -10db, so you would have to massively boost the volume which introduces hiss. However, I noticed that the 308s have a switch to select between those two line levels, so it's entirely possibly I've wasted my money and should have just gotten something like those cables which don't actually attach the inverted wire at all.

The review of the 308s on JBLs own site mentioned hiss when using them as computer speakers as a negative so perhaps they just had their review speakers on the wrong setting. Anyway, regardless, the die is cast and it's going to be expensive to return the cleanboxes even if it turns out that I don't need them in the end. Others on amazon have mentioned hiss present when using consumer level audio sources with these and I suspect it's just because they need to be properly converted to balanced prior to input.

If I get my hands on some of those rca to xlr wires I'll compare them side by side and report on it. In the end, getting a few cleanbox units isn't a huge expense and I absolutely hate the idea of hearing hiss because I had to boost the volume level so much that when music isn't playing I need to turn the speakers off. If the hiss is still present with the baluns I'll return the speakers and get something else instead.
post #96 of 96 Old 09-16-2014, 09:45 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by blazar View Post
Look like decent speakers but they would need to beat the amazing sound of my more expensive avantgarde duo omega horns. The avantgardes sound amazing when setup properly in my room.

I am tempted to blow my cash load and buy avantgarde trio omegas for around $50k since I cant even find a proper current generation used pair.

I always keep other horn speakers on the list just in case i can get very similar sound for a lot less money.

I wish i can hear these JBL's. I havent heard any of the other JBL "big" speakers ... And most of them are a deco disaster.
interesting thread

looks like JBL has solved the equation for MED (minimum effective dose) to achieve an explosive paradigm shift by applying proper engineering at the proper locations, at minimum cost, in a two-way design.

seems some on this thread are in disbelief from a bias that cost=performance, or a historic view perhaps from forward/boomy 70s JBL monitors, and low end circuit city gear, that discounts the parallel universe of top top minds at JBL who've been creating amazing high end gear for decades using JBL/Harman's vast resources. note that respected industry figures whose livelihood depend on these products are universally wow'd by the M2, and not just incrementally wow'd, but repeatedly using the words "never before" "game changer" as compared to B&W and other 400K eurogear, but oddly don't reference the avantgarde duo omega?
Reply Latest Industry News

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page