Behringer iNuke 12000 - MegaPower not MegaBucks - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 76 Old 01-28-2013, 06:43 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Writer @ AVS

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 974 Post(s)
Liked: 2095
Edit - Behringer posted this on their Facebook page in response to a user query:
Quote:
QUESTION: "Is the new Inuke NU12000 more powerful than the INuke NU6000? Or is it just stable into 2 ohms. Because the 4ohm and 8ohm specs for Inuke 6000 and the Inuke 12000 are the same."

BEHRINGER: The 12,000 version has actually 2 6000 units inside. So it has double the power. There seems to be an error with the specs. Thanks for highlighting.

Behringer unleashes the most powerful iNuke ever. The iNuke 12000 (and the DSP version) can output 12,000 watts (peak), very impressive considering the fact it weighs only 18 lbs and takes up only two rack spaces. The iNuke series is very popular among DIY subwoofer builders as well as home theater enthusiasts thanks to the watts-per-dollar ratio they provide as well as their efficiency and light weight. In general the main gripe regarding the iNuke series of amplifiers is that the RMS rating is lower than the advertised power rating - the iNuke 6000 put out about 4,000 watts or real power. The iNuke 12000DSP doubles that, so real-world power (RMS) should be in the 8,000 watt range - 4,000 per channel - into 2 ohms which should be enough to drive any subwoofer that I am aware of. Retail is expected to be $899 for the 12000 and $999 for the 12000DSP.
Quote:
Yes, that’s right—a stereo power amplifier with 6,000 Watts output per channel @ 2 Ohms, or 2 x 3,000 Watts @ 4 Ohms—and it weighs less than 18 lbs. / 8.2 kg. This groundbreaking amplifier is also available in a USB-addressable DSP version, the iNUKE NU12000DSP

http://www.behringer.com/EN/products/NU12000DSP.aspx

Find out more about Mark Henninger at www.imagicdigital.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 76 Old 01-28-2013, 07:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 187
12000 watts peak! Wow! I want to know what somebody needs that power for. Better yet...I want to see and hear what people need that kind of power for!

MY THEATER......The Thompson Theater 11.9 channels

"Is not love not unlike the unlikely not it is unlikened to?"
- Leon Phelps
post #3 of 76 Old 01-28-2013, 08:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I hear you can blow the leaves out of your front yard with the built-in fans!

AI Limited
post #4 of 76 Old 01-28-2013, 09:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post

it weighs only 12 lbs and fits in a single rack space.
It's 2 rack spaces. The iNuke line is all 2ru.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AI Limited View Post

I hear you can blow the leaves out of your front yard with the built-in fans!

At least they could be used for something. tongue.gif
post #5 of 76 Old 01-28-2013, 09:32 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Writer @ AVS

Thank you, fixed... the Nu12000 fits in 2 rack spaces folks. Same as all the other iNukes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nograveconcern View Post

It's 2 rack spaces. The iNuke line is all 2ru.
At least they could be used for something. tongue.gif

post #6 of 76 Old 01-28-2013, 09:46 AM
Advanced Member

So...I'm wondering how this compares the fp14k clones. Maybe a few hundred more but you get a warrantee. Looking at LG's site, I don't see any continuous power ratings.
post #7 of 76 Old 01-28-2013, 09:49 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 68
Class D.

It's not the quantity of power, but the quality which results in the best fidelity. I'll be sticking with Class A/B until Class D proves itself to the most discerning audiophiles.

HT 3.1: Panny BDT 220 | 60" Panny VT60 | Marantz AV7005 | Focal CMS50 (L/R), CMS40 & CMS Sub

Stereo system: Cary Audio 306 SACD Pro | Cary Audio SLP-05 tube line level | Cary Audio SA-200.2 | Focal Diablo Utopia III
post #8 of 76 Old 01-28-2013, 09:54 AM
Advanced Member

So you have some links to double blind tests where audiophiles are able to reliably pick out the level matched Class D subwoofer amps?
post #9 of 76 Old 01-28-2013, 09:55 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Writer @ AVS

Even for driving a subwoofer? That's is about the only thing a sane person would ever need so much power for in a home environment. That said, the iNuke and similar amps have nothing to prove, they sound great. I'm not going to hold my breath waiting for 'the most discerning audiophiles' to 'discover' how good class D sounds these days. I'll wind up dead.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jh901 View Post

Class D.

It's not the quantity of power, but the quality which results in the best fidelity. I'll be sticking with Class A/B until Class D proves itself to the most discerning audiophiles.

post #10 of 76 Old 01-28-2013, 09:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Quote:

Even for driving a subwoofer? That's is about the only thing a sane person would ever need so much power for in a home environment. That said, the iNuke and similar amps have nothing to prove, they sound great. I'm not going to hold my breath waiting for 'the most discerning audiophiles' to 'discover' how good class D sounds these days. I'll be dead.

Yeah, and even that is- 9 times out of 10- for the "sane" person who runs their bass 20-30dbs hot, contrasted to their mains.

You know, the 130+ db car bass...I mean audio crowd, come home. rolleyes.gif

James

Actual phone call (see pic to left):

Tech (responding to laughter): "I'm sorry sir, did I miss something?"

Me: "Yeah, a case of Diet Mountain Dew walking across my living room."

post #11 of 76 Old 01-28-2013, 09:59 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 19
so do you need a 50A circuit or something for this... lol
post #12 of 76 Old 01-28-2013, 10:03 AM

Liked: 13
That's cheap for that much power.
post #13 of 76 Old 01-28-2013, 10:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 154
^ highly unlikely as it will not likely put out anywhere near its spec, and what it will put out (in regards to HIGH output) will be limited to peaks which most modern 15A lines should sustain with relative ease.

But, considering the types who will likely purchase this for home use, I can only imagine what it will be put through- and more humorously- what will be expected out of it.

James

Actual phone call (see pic to left):

Tech (responding to laughter): "I'm sorry sir, did I miss something?"

Me: "Yeah, a case of Diet Mountain Dew walking across my living room."

post #14 of 76 Old 01-28-2013, 10:18 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Writer @ AVS

It is true that the iNuke 6000 spec calls for a 25 amp fuse, so a 50 amp fuse is not out of the question for the 12000. I do not have an answer yet. Power draw should be 1240 watts if it is exactly double the 6000, but actual draw could wind up being a bit different. It is true, if you use it for program material instead of sine-wave tests, a 15-20 amp line could be enough. Not a shared line though - drawing 1240 watts from the outlet is like a hair dryer or space heater. One thing I noticed in the pictures of the rear panel, it looks like the NU12000 takes a different kind of power cord and the plug is labeled 'power supply', perhaps this iNuke comes with a brick-type power supply of some sort?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WagBoss View Post

so do you need a 50A circuit or something for this... lol

post #15 of 76 Old 01-28-2013, 10:46 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Writer @ AVS

It should exactly double the 6000, so expect approx 4,000 watts/channel RMS @ 2 ohms with some drop off in the infrasonic range, as usual. I expect we'll eventually see a 4-channel version, which reminds me where is that 4-channel iNuke 6000? Alas, still coming soon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mastermaybe View Post

^ highly unlikely as it will not likely put out anywhere near its spec, and what it will put out (in regards to HIGH output) will be limited to peaks which most modern 15A lines should sustain with relative ease.

But, considering the types who will likely purchase this for home use, I can only imagine what it will be put through- and more humorously- what will be expected out of it.

James

post #16 of 76 Old 01-28-2013, 10:50 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 68
Quote:

Even for driving a subwoofer? That's is about the only thing a sane person would ever need so much power for in a home environment.

Even if this "sane person had a 2,500 sq ft media room with 20 plus foot high ceilings, then how much power would be needed to drive the subwoofer relative to the mains!?

I'd wager that a 15 or 20 watt SET amp driving the right speakers would knock more of us out of our chair than a high power amp such as this.

HT 3.1: Panny BDT 220 | 60" Panny VT60 | Marantz AV7005 | Focal CMS50 (L/R), CMS40 & CMS Sub

Stereo system: Cary Audio 306 SACD Pro | Cary Audio SLP-05 tube line level | Cary Audio SA-200.2 | Focal Diablo Utopia III
post #17 of 76 Old 01-28-2013, 10:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by nograveconcern View Post

So you have some links to double blind tests where audiophiles are able to reliably pick out the level matched Class D subwoofer amps?

Osnap!
post #18 of 76 Old 01-28-2013, 11:01 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Writer @ AVS

It is not for you or I to judge, it is a fact that there are people who need that much power to drive the subwoofers they have in their home theaters. Until now they have had few options for an amp that can run a high-excursion 18" subwoofer to its limits, with the available options being either too expensive, too heavy or else they are 'gray market' items. This iNuke affords a 'with warranty' option for under $1,000 that doesn't require one to be a bodybuilder to move it.

Before DIY I had a gross misperception about what it takes to have 'good bass' - I can tell you that when you use the term 'knock us out of our chair', the hardcore DIY crowd takes the term literally... and it requires kilowatts of power to achieve. Uncompressed movie soundtracks are quite the revelation when the dynamics of the soundtrack are totally unconstrained by power limits, and that dynamic openness translates quite directly to music. Yes the right speakers powered by 10-20 refined watts will sound great, they will sound even better backed up by 8,000 watts of bass, even at 'modest' volume.

If you are not familiar with the DIY builds, some of them would chew up multiple iNuke 12000s and spit them out, like this 'hall of fame' rig:

Quote:

Even if this "sane person had a 2,500 sq ft media room with 20 plus foot high ceilings, then how much power would be needed to drive the subwoofer relative to the mains!?

I'd wager that a 15 or 20 watt SET amp driving the right speakers would knock more of us out of our chair than a high power amp such as this.
Archaea and mtbdudex like this.

post #19 of 76 Old 01-28-2013, 11:11 AM
Advanced Member

Who is this "sane" person anyway and how does he relate to a discussion of multi-kilowatt amps?

Good luck getting 8hz from the LOTR ring drop to be reproduced at a appreciable level with 15w. 15w wouldn't knock a fly off his $**t at 8hz. wink.gif
Archaea likes this.
post #20 of 76 Old 01-28-2013, 11:22 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 21
Quote:

I'm not really sure if there is any "sane" person with a 50,000ft^3+ media room. However, that is exactly the type of room for which a 12kW subwoofer amp would be needed. Anyway, regarding your question, it's impossible to know how much power would be needed without knowing what mains and amplification you are talking about since it's all relative.

With regard to 15/20 watt SET amps, there's one thing that I can guarantee. Nobody will be knocked out of their chair with a SET amp driving a subwoofer..
post #21 of 76 Old 01-28-2013, 12:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

It is true that the iNuke 6000 spec calls for a 25 amp fuse, so a 50 amp fuse is not out of the question for the 12000. I do not have an answer yet. Power draw should be 1240 watts if it is exactly double the 6000, but actual draw could wind up being a bit different. It is true, if you use it for program material instead of sine-wave tests, a 15-20 amp line could be enough. Not a shared line though - drawing 1240 watts from the outlet is like a hair dryer or space heater. One thing I noticed in the pictures of the rear panel, it looks like the NU12000 takes a different kind of power cord and the plug is labeled 'power supply', perhaps this iNuke comes with a brick-type power supply of some sort?

I noticed that earlier today too. That twist lock power plug makes me suspect it will require a 30 amp line. The 14K clone is the same.
post #22 of 76 Old 01-28-2013, 12:38 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Perfect timing. Construction start this Spring and I will not need racks with a ton of ballast amps. Now this will knock you on your . . . neighbors front lawn.

Addendum: We're trying to schedule excavation and pouring of the vault, but the weather is really getting in the way. Plus with all this new gear coming out, I may have to change the design a million times. So some delay, I feel is good. But this front array will stay the same no matter what. I love my MCM's. Been using them for many many years.
post #23 of 76 Old 01-28-2013, 01:28 PM
AVS Special Member

^^^^^hurry up and finish that build so that I can see it.

- Leon Phelps
post #24 of 76 Old 01-28-2013, 02:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 271
Some of the comments on here are pretty funny. Class D is not as good as A/B lol common dude, Thats just the typical response the older guys who haven't dealt with class D say, over and over again. It's getting old.
There is a big place for these amps but you're crazy if anyone thinks they will put out spec'd wattage, it's just not going to happen. Just look at every other tested berry amp. They still will be very good and probably a great deal for power, just like most of their stuff.
There are lots of us that use mega power. I have 4 x FP14 clones as well as a stack of ep4000's and a rmx 5050 powering my systems subs. These could be a real blessing to us who are buying the clones but want a warranty. Those the clones have proven to be extremely powerful and in the FP14's case, pretty reliable.

Blasting brown notes for 10 years and counting!

post #25 of 76 Old 01-28-2013, 07:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked: 360
I need all of that power to be bridged for my left speaker's tweeter! smile.gif

follow my A/V tweets @davidsusilo

ISF, THX, CEDIA, Control4 & HAA certified
Reviewer for TED, QAV, AUVI & DownUnder Audio Magazine

my (yet to be completed) BD list
my home theatre

post #26 of 76 Old 01-28-2013, 07:39 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Writer @ AVS

Perfect for folks who like listening to headphones wired to 200 watt/channel amplifiers! Nothing like headroom.
Quote:
Use as a Headphone Amplifier

Strange but true, but if you wire either speaker output directly to a headphone jack (again, this is not a project for online experts), the TA-N77ES is so quiet that it works great with 600Ω Beyer DT880s, and the front-panel gain controls are very handy.

If you plug an iPod directly into this amp's variable input, I find setting the gain to about -9 to -16 dB is about optimum. The TA-N77ES is so clean that it's easy to hear the almost silent noise of the iPod itself, and to hear that noise mute after being in pause for several seconds. Since the iPod's idle noise varies with the iPod's level setting, feel free to leave the TA-N77ES' gain full-up if you're that crazy.

To my taste, the power meters usually read about 0.01 ~ 0.1 watts with my DT880s.

With my DT880, I get impressively smooth, deep, revealing and detailed bass, and smooth detailed sound overall.
http://kenrockwell.com/audio/sony/ta-n77es.htm
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Susilo View Post

I need all of that power to be bridged for my left speaker's tweeter! smile.gif

post #27 of 76 Old 01-28-2013, 07:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked: 549
Quote:

Quote:

Even for driving a subwoofer? That's is about the only thing a sane person would ever need so much power for in a home environment.

and you'd be betting wrong.

The avsforum crowd who gets enthused about this amp won't be the ones looking to drive mains - but rather drive subs. The people who get excited about running mains with this much power would be the folk who professional DJ.

The JTR Captivator subwoofer driver handles 7,200 watt peak and 4,000 watt RMS according to JTR Speakers website. A driver like the LMS-5400 is exceptionally power hungry as well. These drivers are prime candidates for a full channel of an amp like this. And headroom, even unused in the land of subwoofers is blissful bonus! So it doesn't have to be all about going crazy loud. If your sub isn't working to the ragged edge then the distortion numbers will be lower, and the quality of sound higher. Overkill is good for subs!

I didn't see this thread before I started one in the DIY area, or I'd have just tacked on here. This is probably the most power that's ever been offered at this pricepoint from a (at least somewhat) reputable vendor.

EDIT - I stopped reading to post a reply at this point, and then in continuing to read saw that several others had posted the same sort of thing. Good post imagic and N8dogg

"Without subs it's just background music - with subs it's the main event!"
Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout
2012 KC Blind Sub Shootout
My Subwoofer Recommendations by Pricepoint
post #28 of 76 Old 01-29-2013, 11:59 AM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 83
I'm old school.. If an amplifier is going to put out 12000 watts it must require at least 4 people to lift it and take up 7 RU spaces. These Class D stuff where you can put into a lady's purse are not real amplifiers

Now this is a man's amp... Good ole Crest 10001...
WagBoss likes this.
post #29 of 76 Old 01-29-2013, 12:58 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 16
As an "old guy", "ex-Roadie", "ex-DJ" (when we were really DJ's), current "Blue Sky DI", I love "D" Class power. It's powerful and runs cooler. The only thing I like better were my Carver M-1000's or the pair of Crowns that blew the first pair of MCM's ever. Which you can't get either anymore. frown.gif

. . . fb
wizzack likes this.
post #30 of 76 Old 01-29-2013, 01:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerBob View Post

when we were really DJ's

For real! Not to change the subject but what ever happened to manual beat matching??? Turntables are disappearing and so are DJ skills. Okay I am done with that. I had to say it. mad.gif
wizzack likes this.

- Leon Phelps
Reply Latest Industry News

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page