THX Launches Its First Mobile App Just in Time for the Super Bowl - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 72 Old 01-30-2013, 08:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked: 428
Quote:
Originally Posted by THXLtd View Post

Thank you for trying THX tune-up and supporting THX. Like Scott and others have said, THX tune-up is a tool for the average consumer to quickly adjust his TV. Although small variations are expected, THX hopes tune-up will help provide black detail and calm down those oversaturated colors. The app and built-in Color Filter are not meant to substitute expert calibrators using test equipment. Nothing beats a properly calibrated TV!

It is to be expected. Regardless, it's a very good tool even when priced at a "whopping" $2.

follow my A/V tweets @davidsusilo

ISF, THX, CEDIA, Control4 & HAA certified
Reviewer for TED, QAV, AUVI & DownUnder Audio Magazine

my (yet to be completed) BD list
my home theatre

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 72 Old 01-31-2013, 11:20 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I tried this yesterday. The problem I had was getting a good read on the color change between the box and background using the camera on the phone. If you put the black lines where they tell you to I was getting a distracting amount of moir on the phones display. I ended up taking out my triple filter from my calibration disc and using the red and green filter on it. The settings were about the same. I had the TV calibrated by an ISF certified installer when I got it. So over all a good app for a quick setup. I am not sure what was going on with the camera however.
post #63 of 72 Old 01-31-2013, 01:45 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbear21 View Post

I tried this yesterday. The problem I had was getting a good read on the color change between the box and background using the camera on the phone. If you put the black lines where they tell you to I was getting a distracting amount of moir on the phones display. I ended up taking out my triple filter from my calibration disc and using the red and green filter on it. The settings were about the same. I had the TV calibrated by an ISF certified installer when I got it. So over all a good app for a quick setup. I am not sure what was going on with the camera however.

I got that same effect when using my iPhone5' camera. It seemed that if I moved into just the right position/angle it would go away but it was difficult to keep it in that position to not get the moiré. I'd recommend using a some type of fixed stand or something but for me, my TV is up fairly high on the wall so I didn't have anything that I could put in position to have that fixed surface...
post #64 of 72 Old 01-31-2013, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolltide1017 View Post

So you guys are saying this app is pretty accurate for color? It is not for me. Tint, brightness and contrast all work great but the color test pattern is way off. It had me raise my color almost 20 notches before the red square matched the background. The color looked horrible at this setting, almost neon. This made me pull out my Spears & Munsil BD because I couldn't believe I could have screwed up this bad when I originally used the disc. . The S&M disc, of course, had me lowering the color setting back to where I had it. So, what's up, why is the THX app so different when it comes to the color test pattern? Could it be because I have a DLP TV? Like I said, all the other patterns work great, matched my S&M disc settings. I was using AirPlay to my AppleTV to test the app.

Don't understand why I'm seeing such a drastic difference with just the color test pattern but, it is not even close to being right on my TV. I thought something was off when I first selected it because the red square looked more crimson on my TV even though it looks red on my iPad. But when ever I display color bars from the Spears & Munsil disc or DVE BD, the reds look correct.

Same thing for me on my Panny 55ST50 using an iPad3 via Airplay Mirroring. The app had me raise my color about 20 points which resulted in some pretty sunburned people on the news. LOL. Everything else seemed to be spot on with my manual settings. Simply reinput my previous color value (46) and all was right with the world again.

Cheers,
Jason.

post #65 of 72 Old 01-31-2013, 05:30 PM
AVS Special Member

If anything, this app proves that nothing beats proper calibration biggrin.gif. Regarless of the iDevice I use, the colour saturation are lways dialed too high.

my home theatre

post #66 of 72 Old 01-31-2013, 06:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 200
post #67 of 72 Old 01-31-2013, 06:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Nope, we need a an adapter with HDMI output. For iPad2/3 and iPod Touch 4 you can buy one for $8 on eBay.

my home theatre

post #68 of 72 Old 02-03-2013, 01:50 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I tried the app with my iPad (via HDMI adapter) tonight. My display had previously been adjusted via the Disney WOW disc. The video settings I arrived at via the THX Tune-Up app were very close to the settings via the WOW disc. The THX Tune-Up app recommended 2 points lower on my Contrast and 1 point lower on my Tint. Color and Brightness were matches.

On the audio side, it was quite interesting that the THX Tune-Up app was suggesting my surround channels were too low. Even though the surround was originally set via a sound pressure meter (and the WOW disc), I've always felt that the surrounds seemed a little wimpy. Adjusting for proper adjacent speaker balance (to get the sound to appear to be coming from the middle between two adjacent speakers) I needed to boost both of my surround speakers by 3 db. That's quite a bit! But, as I said, I've felt that they were too low. So, I threw in a my Star Wars Blu-ray and went to the Millennium Falcon flyover at the end of the move. BIG improvement! And other bits and pieces of the movie had much more active (at least, more noticeable) surround.

So, sound pressure meter be damned, I'm going to go with the settings I arrived at via the THX Tune-Up app.

The app did crash on me twice during the adjustments. But, other than that, I'm thrilled. Particularly since the app was FREE. (As I understand it, it will only be free for a limited time.)

Mark
post #69 of 72 Old 02-06-2013, 09:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 50
Great for anyone who didn't for out the $25 for a wow disc. Sucks I missed it when it was free.
post #70 of 72 Old 02-06-2013, 09:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 50
What the hell? How and why did it do a quad post?
post #71 of 72 Old 02-07-2013, 02:36 AM

I am completely in the dark on this calibration of a TV. I've seen this referred to before but have never followed up. Can anyone link me to a fairly simple explanation? I am assuming that I'm missing out because I have never done this with my plasma Panny.
post #72 of 72 Old 02-07-2013, 08:23 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by kauaidoug View Post

I am completely in the dark on this calibration of a TV. I've seen this referred to before but have never followed up. Can anyone link me to a fairly simple explanation? I am assuming that I'm missing out because I have never done this with my plasma Panny.

This refers to LCD monitors but its a good resource to look at if you are trying to understand why you would want to tweak your setting. http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/

Here is one using this sites DVD as a reference http://lifehacker.com/5858625/how-to-calibrate-your-hdtv-and-boost-your-video-quality-in-30-minutes-or-less.

Read these articles hope they help.

Vizio 80" 3D LED M801D-A3 SpectraCal-CalMAN 5
Onkyo TX-NR818 w/ Polk Monitor 50 (Fronts), Onkyo SK-520 (Surronds), SKW-770 (Sub)
Win 8.1 PC i7 3930k, 2 Crossfire 280X's, 32GB RAM | Mac Mini 2011 i5 2.3Ghz, 16 GB RAM w/ PLEX
Roku 3
Oppo BDP-103D
Xbox One, PS4, Xbox 360 S, PS3 Slim
Harmony 700
Reply Latest Industry News

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page