THX Launches Its First Mobile App Just in Time for the Super Bowl - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 72 Old 01-29-2013, 05:56 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 740

Super Bowl season is one of the busiest times of the year for TV sales—football fans want to watch the big game on a new big-screen television. But as most AVS Forum members know, those new TVs don't come out of the box looking their best. Ideally, they should be fully calibrated by a professional, but barring that, users should take a few minutes to adjust the basic picture controls, which can dramatically improve the picture quality.

In its ongoing effort to optimize the audio and video experience, THX today has released its first mobile app to help users tweak their TV for better performance. Called THX tune-up, the interactive app turns an iOS device (iPad 2, 3, 4, Mini; iPhone 4, 4S, 5; iPod Touch gen 4 or later) into a test-pattern generator with easy-to-follow spoken and written instructions on how to adjust your TV's aspect ratio, brightness, contrast, color, and tint controls. It also lets you verify that your speakers are connected to the correct amp outputs and are in the same phase.

To use THX tune-up, you need an Apple or Lightning Digital AV adaptor and HDMI cable to connect the iDevice to your AV receiver or, if your AVR doesn't have HDMI, directly to your TV. Alternatively, you can connect via Apple TV, though that reduces the resolution of the 1080p images to 720p on the second-generation Apple TV (the third-gen version supports 1080p). Also, going through an Apple TV limits the audio to 2.0; the only way to hear 5.1 audio is via HDMI.

The app is divided into four sections: Home, Equipment, Adjustments, and Extras. You start by entering the specific equipment you have—TV, AVR, number of speakers, etc. (The app can address up to 5.1 systems, not 7.1 due to limitations of iDevice software and hardware.) This allows the app to display graphics that pertain to your particular system.

Next, you adjust your TV's basic picture controls. Each of the controls addressed by the app—aspect ratio, brightness, contrast, color, and tint—is adjusted by looking at a test pattern on the TV screen followed by a photo that lets you check the effect of your tweak on a real-world image. (Sharpness is not yet included; I hope it is in a future version.) Each step of the way, you are guided by spoken or written instructions, which you can disable if you prefer.

The test patterns and photos are derived from the THX Optimizer program found on most THX-certified DVDs and some Blu-rays as well as the THX Calibration disc that is not generally available to end users. Unfortunately, iDevices cannot reproduce the entire range of brightness from 0 to 255; they are limited to the range from 16 to 235. So THX had to do some clever editing to make sure the brightness and contrast patterns produced reasonable results.

Because THX tune-up is a downloaded app, it can't come with a blue filter like physical setup discs, so THX developed a very clever workaround. The app applies a red filter to the iDevice's camera, which you point at the color and tint pattern as you adjust the corresponding control while looking at the iDevice's screen. Why red and not blue? According to THX, it's a particular shade of red that makes it easier to see the effect of changes on the iDevice screen.

Once the TV's basic picture controls are set, it's time to make sure the speakers are connected to the correct amp outputs with the sound of a "moo can" toy emanating from each speaker in turn. Then, pink noise is played in adjacent pairs of speakers to make sure they are connected with the same positive/negative polarity.

The Extras section of the app includes the famous THX "Deep Note" sound in 5.1, a selection of THX trailers, a function that converts the iDevice into a "moo can" (just turn it over like the classic toy), and a feature called Ask Tex (the THX mascot), which provides a way for users to submit questions to THX about their home theater equipment and setup process.

As I mentioned earlier, the THX tune-up app is available only for iOS devices; an Android version is planned for release in the spring. To help Super Bowl fans see the best picture for the big game, from now through Monday, Feb. 4, the app is available to download from the Apple app store for free anywhere in the world; after that, it will cost $1.99 in select countries, including the US and many Western nations.

Of course, the THX tune-up app does not provide full calibration capabilities—it's only meant to get your TV in the ballpark of optimum performance. But that's bound to be a far sight better than simply taking it out of the box and watching the game without touching the controls. I'm eager to try it out for myself, and I look forward to hearing what you think about it.

Scott Wilkinson
AVS Editor
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 72 Old 01-29-2013, 08:03 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Downloaded and will test shortly!

Vizio 80" 3D LED M801D-A3 SpectraCal-CalMAN 5
Onkyo TX-NR818 w/ Polk Monitor 50 (Fronts), Onkyo SK-520 (Surronds), SKW-770 (Sub)
Win 8.1 PC i7 3930k, 2 Crossfire 280X's, 32GB RAM | Mac Mini 2011 i5 2.3Ghz, 16 GB RAM w/ PLEX
Roku 3
Oppo BDP-103D
Xbox One, PS4, Xbox 360 S, PS3 Slim
Harmony 700
post #3 of 72 Old 01-29-2013, 08:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Just downloaded the app, gonna try it tonight and let you guys know. I must admit that it's a good on the go fast calibration unit. Every time I go to a buddy's house I end up taking a THX Disney disc to do it, but this seems much better.

Get all your A/V News at: AVS Latest News

Like AVS Forum on Facebook
Follow AVS Forums on Twitter

AVSForum
Bringing the AV Community Together
post #4 of 72 Old 01-29-2013, 08:05 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayNice View Post

Downloaded and will test shortly!

Let us know your feedback please smile.gif

AVSForum
post #5 of 72 Old 01-29-2013, 08:09 AM

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnyS View Post

Let us know your feedback please smile.gif

Yes, I am interested as well. I would try it myself, but I am an Android guy. wink.gif

post #6 of 72 Old 01-29-2013, 08:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 451
downloaded as well...now just need to get home

Panasonic 65VT30 | Denon x4000 | Emotiva XPA-5 | Emotiva XSP-1 | Emotiva DC-1 | PSB imagine B's |PSB image c5 | PSB B4's | DUAL PSA XS30 | OPPO 103 | minidsp
my HT gallery: http://www.blu-ray.com/community/gallery.php?u=240707

post #7 of 72 Old 01-29-2013, 08:35 AM

Liked: 11
i just downloaded as well. I need to pick up a digital cable, don't really feel like dropping 40$ on one :\
musicisgreat108 likes this.
post #8 of 72 Old 01-29-2013, 08:40 AM
Advanced Member

Can also work with an Apple TV guys, for everyone who already has one of course wink.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kainofury View Post

i just downloaded as well. I need to pick up a digital cable, don't really feel like dropping 40$ on one :\

AVSForum
post #9 of 72 Old 01-29-2013, 09:03 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLEHD View Post

Yes, I am interested as well. I would try it myself, but I am an Android guy. wink.gif

Agreed. I wonder if we'll see an Android version in the future.
post #10 of 72 Old 01-29-2013, 09:06 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bai Shen View Post

Agreed. I wonder if we'll see an Android version in the future.
Quote:
An Android version is planned for spring 2013.

Cool Beans.
post #11 of 72 Old 01-29-2013, 09:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quick Review...

The test patterns are well laid out and easy to understand and use. I myself use Spears and Munsil for my calibration. And the patterns end results did not differ at all. I do not have the HDMI cable to Lightning so I was not able to test Audio well, only 2.0 (I have 7.1). I used it via AirServer connecting my iPhone 5 to my 2011 Mac Mini.

I think this is a good tool for beginners to adjust their setting as it explains each adjustment in layman’s terms. I believe these are the same text patterns on the THX Blu-Rays but in addition to patterns they offer photos to see what your adjustments have done to an image vs. some pattern of boxes and colors, a welcome addition.

I will let you know about the audio once I figure a cheaper way get digital 5.1+ audio to go to my receiver from my iPhone.

Onkyo TX-NR818 w/ Polk Monitor 50 (Fronts), Onkyo SK-520 (Surronds), SKW-770 (Sub)
Win 8.1 PC i7 3930k, 2 Crossfire 280X's, 32GB RAM | Mac Mini 2011 i5 2.3Ghz, 16 GB RAM w/ PLEX
Roku 3
Oppo BDP-103D
Harmony 700
post #12 of 72 Old 01-29-2013, 09:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayNice View Post

Quick Review...

The test patterns are well laid out and easy to understand and use. I myself use Spears and Munsil for my calibration. And the patterns end results did not differ at all. I do not have the HDMI cable to Lightning so I was not able to test Audio well, only 2.0 (I have 7.1). I used it via AirServer connecting my iPhone 5 to my 2011 Mac Mini.

I think this is a good tool for beginners to adjust their setting as it explains each adjustment in layman’s terms. I believe these are the same text patterns on the THX Blu-Rays but in addition to patterns they offer photos to see what your adjustments have done to an image vs. some pattern of boxes and colors, a welcome addition.

I will let you know about the audio once I figure a cheaper way get digital 5.1+ audio to go to my receiver from my iPhone.

Thanks PlayNice....that's awesome you tried it so quickly.

There's some cool extra's like the trailers. Pretty neat.

AVSForum
post #13 of 72 Old 01-29-2013, 11:24 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 58
double post ~_~

post #14 of 72 Old 01-29-2013, 11:24 AM
Advanced Member

As much as I would love to see an Android app it is unlikely, the only thing Apple has an advantage of over Android is its proprietary monopoly non-open source design meaning that you have one set standard and nothing else and well in this case with this app, its the Screens used on Apple products mentioned that are tuned from the factory to match Rec709 specs which makes it great for color matching and color calibration, test patterns over HDMI well yeah Androids could do that but I think color calibration would be a bigger factor, as for Android devices the screens used is not a set standard and you will be hard pressed to find an Android product using a screen that is Rec709 calibrated, for those who say well my S3 is, well your dead wrong, I have the S3 and love it but it is no where near color corrected since it does not have as many blue pixels as there is red and green so color calibration is out of the question but anything you can send to the screen would be possible in that situation but I still dont think we will see an android version for just that purpose.

post #15 of 72 Old 01-29-2013, 11:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Unless I'm mistaken, it seems that the AV adapter for iphone 4 or 4s users is limited to 720p. /facepalm at Apple. I hate planned obsolescence. I'll pass on the app.

post #16 of 72 Old 01-29-2013, 12:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 174
New Spears and Munsil, according to their Website, due in March 2013. Some of us don't have any Apple Products.
post #17 of 72 Old 01-29-2013, 01:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by p5browne View Post

New Spears and Munsil, according to their Website, due in March 2013.

yeah I cant wait for the new one to be released which will have 3D calibration ^_^

post #18 of 72 Old 01-29-2013, 01:19 PM

Any ideas on an alternate cable one can use, $40 dollars for the Apple cable is to much in my opinion.
post #19 of 72 Old 01-29-2013, 01:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shimrra View Post

Any ideas on an alternate cable one can use, $40 dollars for the Apple cable is to much in my opinion.

You can check on-line but the Apple cable name brand and no-name brand are both around that price unfortunately.

AVSForum
post #20 of 72 Old 01-29-2013, 01:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Chaves View Post

yeah I cant wait for the new one to be released which will have 3D calibration ^_^

You and me both, this is a must buy!

Roku 3
Oppo BDP-103D
Harmony 700
post #21 of 72 Old 01-29-2013, 01:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Free is good! Just the trailer is worth the price smile.gif

And I find it a good way to see how my phone perform. For example, the brightness pattern on my iphone5 need to set to almost maximum for me to see "9".
post #22 of 72 Old 01-29-2013, 01:46 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Sounds cool. Just downloaded the app. I got a 3rd generation Apple TV from my work for Christmas so I'm going to try it out via the AppleTV and see how it works with my living room tv.
post #23 of 72 Old 01-29-2013, 01:49 PM

just use it and then return it thats what im going to do.. im going to try my ipad3 and see how it works
post #24 of 72 Old 01-29-2013, 03:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 330
Saying the app can help you calibrate anything is misleading. It's no better than using a Disney WOW disc.

follow my A/V tweets @davidsusilo

ISF, THX, CEDIA, Control4 & HAA certified
Reviewer for TED, QAV, AUVI & DownUnder Audio Magazine

my (yet to be completed) BD list
my home theatre

post #25 of 72 Old 01-29-2013, 03:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Susilo View Post

Saying the app can help you calibrate anything is misleading. It's no better than using a Disney WOW disc.

No one is saying this app is for calibration; it's only for getting the display in the ballpark. You are correct that it's no better than using the Disney WOW disc, but either way is far better than leaving the display in its out-of-box condition. And with the THX app, you can do it if you don't happen to have a disc with you.

Scott Wilkinson
AVS Editor
post #26 of 72 Old 01-29-2013, 03:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmaddog View Post

Sounds cool. Just downloaded the app. I got a 3rd generation Apple TV from my work for Christmas so I'm going to try it out via the AppleTV and see how it works with my living room tv.

Just remember that you won't get 5.1 sound via the Apple TV; at this point, only an HDMI connection will support 5.1 audio.

Scott Wilkinson
AVS Editor
post #27 of 72 Old 01-29-2013, 03:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 330
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wilkinson View Post

No one is saying this app is for calibration

Really?

If you go to AVS home page, in ginormous letters the title says "THX iOS App to Calibrate Home Theater" wink.gif

follow my A/V tweets @davidsusilo

ISF, THX, CEDIA, Control4 & HAA certified
Reviewer for TED, QAV, AUVI & DownUnder Audio Magazine

my (yet to be completed) BD list
my home theatre

post #28 of 72 Old 01-29-2013, 04:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Really?

If you go to AVS home page, in ginormous letters the title says "THX iOS App to Calibrate Home Theater" wink.gif

THX Tune-Up is a Calibration tool. Now is it the best tool on the market, probably not. As most have mentioned on this thread, there are many other solutions. For some, the THX Tune-Up app is a perfect, quick and simple solution for getting your TV in a better calibrated state.

AVSForum
post #29 of 72 Old 01-29-2013, 04:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Really?

Not any more! wink.gif You're right, the title and text on the home page did refer to calibration, which it shouldn't have. I have now fixed that.

David Susilo likes this.

Scott Wilkinson
AVS Editor
post #30 of 72 Old 01-29-2013, 04:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnyS View Post

THX Tune-Up is a Calibration tool. Now is it the best tool on the market, probably not. As most have mentioned on this thread, there are many other solutions. For some, the THX Tune-Up app is a perfect, quick and simple solution for getting your TV in a better calibrated state.

Actually, I make a distinction between "calibration" (a full-blown adjustment of the basic user controls as well as grayscale, gamma, and colorimetry) and "setup" (adjusting the basic user controls only). A calibration requires expensive test gear and software (and training), while a setup requires only a setup disc such as Disney WOW or Spears & Munsil...or the new THX app. I agree that this app is a great tool for a quick setup, especially if you don't have one of the standard discs handy.

Scott Wilkinson
AVS Editor
Reply Latest Industry News

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page