The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey Blu-ray (and Blu-ray 3D) Up for Pre-Order - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 39 Old 01-30-2013, 01:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 306 Post(s)
Liked: 226

According to Amazon, It looks like the first episode of Peter Jackson's trilogy will be available on Blu-ray and Blu-ray 3D on March 19, 2013. You can make your pre-orders on Amazon's website. I remember when any installment of Lord of the Rings came to DVD we had to wait till the following summer to have access to the movie. Lucky us!

Specs and supplements have yet to be revealed, but suggested list price for the Blu-ray is set at $29.98. No 48FPS release has been hinted at and for obvious reasons. Maybe we'll see it re-released in 4K when there is an official 4K format and hardware has built in support for 48fps material.

Source: http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/show/Disc_Announcements/Warner_Brothers/The_Hobbit_An_Unexpected_Journey_Blu-ray_Up_for_Pre-Order/11031

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 Old 01-31-2013, 08:36 AM
CIH USER

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 205
Excellent haven't seen this yet will now wait for blu ray.

Frank

post #3 of 39 Old 01-31-2013, 09:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Are there going to be extended & theatrical editions like LOTR? I've already had to buy LOTR trilogy 3 times. I'm hoping to only buy this one once...until 4k comes out.
post #4 of 39 Old 01-31-2013, 09:50 AM
QuadMersed in bass!

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Looks like they took it down, as I cannot find it on Amazon.

Mark
SimpleTheater likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 39 Old 01-31-2013, 09:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
After rereading the book last year, the film is quite different. It appears they tried to tie it directly to the LOR. Regardless, excellent film and a day one purchase. If you want to experience the 48 frame rate just put on auto motion plus or whatever frame interpolation program your tv has...if that's your thing, almost no difference.
post #6 of 39 Old 01-31-2013, 10:11 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 29
The extended edition apparently is coming out in October.
Mike_WI likes this.

post #7 of 39 Old 01-31-2013, 10:14 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by edlittle View Post

The extended edition apparently is coming out in October.
Any more info on the Ext Ed?

Mike

post #8 of 39 Old 01-31-2013, 01:49 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 46
I don't see why 2D BluRay can't support 48FPS video?? BluRay video games support 60FPS for gods sake!
post #9 of 39 Old 01-31-2013, 02:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 115
I never saw this in theaters so I am really happy it is coming to video so soon! With the cost of movie theaters these days I just can't justify it...not when you can rent it through directv cinema and still get it with hd audio and 1080p for $5....if I had better internet I could rent it through amazon for less....but of course I have bad internet

Trying to enjoy the simple things in life.

Steam: madbrayniak

post #10 of 39 Old 01-31-2013, 04:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 133
They could also release 48hz using two discs, one for even and one for odd frames, that way those of us with high end PCs and splice it back together.

I expect in reality, an h265 encoding might make it possible to squeeze in 2x24x3D = 96hz of 1080p data on one Bluray. Then maybe they can also send it down the wire via streaming. Interpolation is NOT as good as authentic speed, although it can still make you woozy. I found some scenes absolutely rocked (esp outdoor vistas and panning), and some seemed ...blah. Like the opening part. But for a guy who saw it both in 24hz and 48hz, and is now used to interpolation and smoothing, I found that the real 48hz instead of fake 60hz is much better. Perhaps they just didn't get the timings or the science of the panning right. Trust me, after ten years of 48p video, we'll get used to it and think 24p is gabage. So many TV shows are in 24hz instead of 60, it's such a frikken shame.
post #11 of 39 Old 01-31-2013, 06:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLBURNSIDE View Post

They could also release 48hz using two discs, one for even and one for odd frames, that way those of us with high end PCs and splice it back together.

That doesn't make any sense. If they were going to offer in any form as 48 fps they will make sure the studio masters it. Depending on when (and if) they release it at that frame rate it will be distributed by either digital download or if a new format for dedicated players is available that supports 48fps at them time, that format.

post #12 of 39 Old 01-31-2013, 06:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLBURNSIDE View Post

I expect in reality, an h265 encoding might make it possible to squeeze in 2x24x3D = 96hz of 1080p data on one Bluray. Then maybe they can also send it down the wire via streaming. Interpolation is NOT as good as authentic speed, although it can still make you woozy. I found some scenes absolutely rocked (esp outdoor vistas and panning), and some seemed ...blah. Like the opening part. But for a guy who saw it both in 24hz and 48hz, and is now used to interpolation and smoothing, I found that the real 48hz instead of fake 60hz is much better. Perhaps they just didn't get the timings or the science of the panning right. Trust me, after ten years of 48p video, we'll get used to it and think 24p is gabage. So many TV shows are in 24hz instead of 60, it's such a frikken shame.

I still didn't like 48fps. Also even if H265 allowed it I assume we all would probably have to get new players!

No subwoofer I've heard has been able to produce the bass I've experienced in the Corps!

Must..stop...buying...every bluray release...
post #13 of 39 Old 02-01-2013, 12:25 AM
CIH USER

Quote:
Originally Posted by giomania View Post

Looks like they took it down, as I cannot find it on Amazon.

Mark

It doesn't seem to be there anymore.

Frank

post #14 of 39 Old 02-01-2013, 11:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 708 Post(s)
Liked: 416
The only way to get 48 fps and 60 fps support would be to buy a new TV with HFR cinematography support and then play downloaded UHD files (on what platform, exactly?) or UHD discs off a new UHD capable player. And that's if the standards body would include those new high frame rates and certify them to work in all new A/V devices.

They don't even have a 1080p 60 fps mode... it's just at 720p. Very backwards thinking when the BDA was setting their Blu-ray specs.

Blu-ray's specs. are now set in stone. They could shoe-horn in 3D because MPEG-4 H.264 already had the Multi-View Codec system (used to compress the information of one of the eye views) implemented and approved by the BDA. They just used it for 3D encoding rather than some other purpose.

Listen up, studios! Just say "NO" to DNR and EE!!
post #15 of 39 Old 02-01-2013, 12:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
I thought it was too soon to be released, it just came out in December and is still playing at the theaters.
post #16 of 39 Old 02-01-2013, 01:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by moviegeek View Post

I thought it was too soon to be released, it just came out in December and is still playing at the theaters.

It'll probably be out in May or June. The March release is seemingly premature.

post #17 of 39 Old 02-01-2013, 02:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 43
I also don't like dipping x times.. when the 2nd and 3rd one comes out, and then the complete package, and then the extended version, and then the extended version + specials, and then the LOTR + Hobbit series grand finale special.. eek.gif
And then 4K comes along, and the cycle starts.. and before long, there will be 8K smile.gif

I will just buy this once smile.gif
post #18 of 39 Old 02-02-2013, 01:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flavius View Post

I don't see why 2D BluRay can't support 48FPS video?? BluRay video games support 60FPS for gods sake!
I'm not even sure how to start on this one...

Monster Gold Plated Optical Cables:

Awesome user review: "Unreal quality. Sounded like I upgraded my speakers." :D
post #19 of 39 Old 02-02-2013, 01:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flavius View Post

Current TV's don't know what to do with 48 fps video. The Blu-ray spec. would have to be changed, the H.264 codec would have to be recoded, and new players would have to be built.

You'll just have to wait and see what UHD media and displays bring.

post #20 of 39 Old 02-02-2013, 03:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Hitchman View Post

Current TV's don't know what to do with 48 fps video. The Blu-ray spec. would have to be changed, the H.264 codec would have to be recoded, and new players would have to be built.

You'll just have to wait and see what UHD media and displays bring.

This isn't entirely true. There are plenty of TV's (and almost all 1080p home theater projectors) will accept a 48hz input. H.264 can most definitely be used for 48fps material. The only thing that would need to change is the Blu-ray spec itself and you would need to have new players built to that spec. They could technically release this now at 48fps for intended playback from PCs. But that isn't going to happen.

post #21 of 39 Old 02-02-2013, 08:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seegs108 View Post

This isn't entirely true. There are plenty of TV's (and almost all 1080p home theater projectors) will accept a 48hz input. H.264 can most definitely be used for 48fps material. The only thing that would need to change is the Blu-ray spec itself and you would need to have new players built to that spec. They could technically release this now at 48fps for intended playback from PCs. But that isn't going to happen.

There's a difference between flagged video cadences and TV refresh rates... it's not quite that simple. It's never that simple.

The best thing to do is put pressure on the UHD consumer standards committee that it accepts 48 fps and 60 fps progressive content... along with greater video bit depth, better audio standards (like Dolby Atmos), etc. so that UHD moves into the future rather than being mired in the past.

post #22 of 39 Old 02-02-2013, 08:43 PM

Liked: 14
I'll wait for the extended edition.

Sorry Jackson, but I already purchased the LOTR Trilogy 3 times to get to the Blu-Ray editions. That isn't happening again for me.
SimpleTheater and JD in NJ like this.
post #23 of 39 Old 02-03-2013, 12:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Hitchman View Post

There's a difference between flagged video cadences and TV refresh rates... it's not quite that simple. It's never that simple.

The best thing to do is put pressure on the UHD consumer standards committee that it accepts 48 fps and 60 fps progressive content... along with greater video bit depth, better audio standards (like Dolby Atmos), etc. so that UHD moves into the future rather than being mired in the past.

I'm not talking about 2:2 or something like that. There are many products out there that can and will accept video and play it back in it's native 48fps at 48hz if you have such content. Most of these products are projectors. At the moment you will need to use a PC to get such an output and for it to work properly. Yes, we need a new standard that offers a wider array of refresh rates and bandwidth rates ect.

post #24 of 39 Old 02-03-2013, 07:07 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Unfortunately, I saw Hobbit 3 times in 48fps and it was absolutely mindblowing.
I could live without the 3d, but I'm not sure I want to even see or buy a 24fps bluray of it.
I confess, I don't know exactly how Bluray 3d discs work, but I thought they sent a 48fps signal to the tv with every other frame being left/right eye. If true, then couldn't they essentially use the Bluray 3d spec, but instead of 3d, just have the 48fps, then you just wouldn't use the glasses. Bam, 48fps bluray. Am I wrong?
They would need to explain on the packaging though that it requires a "3d bluray player" but you can't use the 3d glasses. Which may be quite confusing in stores for Joe Consumer, honestly. They would almost have to sell it via a special website only, which pretty much kills the idea.

I guess the best hope would be a drm'd downloadable file with 48fps.
post #25 of 39 Old 02-03-2013, 08:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazarus Dark View Post

Unfortunately, I saw Hobbit 3 times in 48fps and it was absolutely mindblowing.
I could live without the 3d, but I'm not sure I want to even see or buy a 24fps bluray of it.
I confess, I don't know exactly how Bluray 3d discs work, but I thought they sent a 48fps signal to the tv with every other frame being left/right eye. If true, then couldn't they essentially use the Bluray 3d spec, but instead of 3d, just have the 48fps, then you just wouldn't use the glasses. Bam, 48fps bluray. Am I wrong?
They would need to explain on the packaging though that it requires a "3d bluray player" but you can't use the 3d glasses. Which may be quite confusing in stores for Joe Consumer, honestly. They would almost have to sell it via a special website only, which pretty much kills the idea.

I guess the best hope would be a drm'd downloadable file with 48fps.

The MVC subset of H.264, which makes full1080p 3D possible on Blu-ray (via a unique frame packing algorithm), doesn't compress video data in such a way to allow for what you are suggesting.

post #26 of 39 Old 02-04-2013, 02:18 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBlade View Post

I'll wait for the extended edition.

Sorry Jackson, but I already purchased the LOTR Trilogy 3 times to get to the Blu-Ray editions. That isn't happening again for me.

+1
post #27 of 39 Old 02-06-2013, 07:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Only one question matters:

GREEN?

biggrin.gif
post #28 of 39 Old 02-06-2013, 12:27 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Back when LOTR came out, I waited till I got the whole Extended Edition DVD Box Set with all 12 discs, and I was very happy to have done so. 'Course, back then, I had recently jumped onto the DVD bandwagon, but still a while passed before I preordered this for Xmas 2004. Never got the VHS ones or anything either. And, though I do have the itch, I don't think I'll get the LOTR Trilogy on Blu-ray soon. So I think I'll be doing the same and get the whole Extended Edition Trilogy of The Hobbit on Blu-ray when that's out! wink.gif
post #29 of 39 Old 02-10-2013, 11:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 24
I don't understand why anyone would buy this. At the end of the day, even if you liked it (and I admit I did not; it was too padded and had too many Goonies or Temple of Doom bits for my taste), it is only the first 1/3 of a movie. It's bound to come out as a full movie at some point. This release, when it comes out, is just the studio milking this for all it can.

post #30 of 39 Old 02-10-2013, 06:34 PM
CIH USER

I haven't seen it so I will buy it.

Frank

Reply Latest Industry News

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page