Emotiva Pro 'Stealth 8' - 400W Bi-Amped Reference Monitor with Airmotiv™Tweeter - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 45 Old 05-23-2013, 07:56 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just wanting to keep this thread alive.

Anyone tried these in a HT real world system yet? I love the simple pre/pro cables and speaker idea, I've tried this with KRK monitors but they never quite did it for me. I had Rokit 8's for main LR 6's for center and rears and I was about 8.5 to 9 feet away...I think a bit too far.

Sunfire Theater Grand IV, Emotiva Stealth 8, Adam powered monitors, Epik sub, Oppo DVD, Parts Express 15 sub kit, Epson projector...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 45 Old 05-24-2013, 09:28 AM

Liked: 21
Haven't tried it in a home theater environment but I have the Stealth 6 in my home studio and the clarity compared to my Thiel, Onix and Swan speakers is really astounding. I have the Sennheiser HD800 headphones and the Stealth provides a similar tonality with the impact and imaging of speakers. I'm happy smile.gif I use the Oppo BDP-105 directly to the speakers via balanced cables.
Schrodinger23 likes this.

"glittering prizes and endless compromises..."

Sony Super Fine Pitch CRT for Sale

post #33 of 45 Old 07-13-2013, 06:39 AM

i purchased the Stealth 8, after visiting Emotiva and listening to them through their new pro dac. So right now I have three working directly through a Marantz AV 7701 pre/pro, and oppo 103.. I am still trying to decide if two for the rear are overkill or using one of their smaller monitors would work as well. I have not even thought about hooking up my Velodyne DD10. Bass is tremendous, imaging is spot on, can't wait to hook up rears once I decide... I played Chuck Mangione CD live "Land of Make Believe," not a great recording but the music is classic, so much fun I actually started conducting the orchestra.biggrin.gif
post #34 of 45 Old 07-13-2013, 02:56 PM

Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by eugene2 View Post

i purchased the Stealth 8, after visiting Emotiva and listening to them through their new pro dac. So right now I have three working directly through a Marantz AV 7701 pre/pro, and oppo 103.. I am still trying to decide if two for the rear are overkill or using one of their smaller monitors would work as well.

My vote goes to a pair of stealth 8. Especially if you only use 5.1. The 8 has double the tweeter size of the 6... Hence it has as much tweeter surface as surround and back surround with a stealth 6 each in 7.1 configuration.

I want Auro-3D 13.3 Surround!
post #35 of 45 Old 07-14-2013, 06:56 PM

That's I have been struggling trying to decide.
post #36 of 45 Old 08-04-2013, 09:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by eugene2 View Post

That's I have been struggling trying to decide.

Have you decided yet? About 3 months ago, a tech person at Emotiva informed me that the Airmotiv line is better in a HT environment. Whereas, the Stealth line is geared to the Professional market. You may want to give Emotiva a call to gather more info.

OPPO BETA GROUP
post #37 of 45 Old 09-08-2013, 08:00 AM

As a heads up, Emotiva is now working on a double woofer version of the stealth 8. Triple 300 Watt. Named stealth 88 for the time being.

Should be more than adequate for LCR at our 12 feet listening distance.

Emotiva_stealth88proto.jpg 54k .jpg file
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Emotiva_stealth88proto.jpg (54.4 KB, 63 views)

post #38 of 45 Old 12-26-2013, 02:56 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilPeart View Post

Haven't tried it in a home theater environment but I have the Stealth 6 in my home studio and the clarity compared to my Thiel, Onix and Swan speakers is really astounding. I have the Sennheiser HD800 headphones and the Stealth provides a similar tonality with the impact and imaging of speakers. I'm happy smile.gif I use the Oppo BDP-105 directly to the speakers via balanced cables.

Can I ask what swan speakers you're referring to? I have the swan diva 6.1's, and a c3 center. I'm really intrigued by the stealth 8's, and considering 3 for lcr, and using the swans as surrounds. The swan's sound great, but if these are much better then I may have to seriously think about them.
post #39 of 45 Old 12-29-2013, 01:49 AM

Liked: 21
cranster,
I was using the Swans M200 in my home studio - they are used in a 2 channel system so I cannot comment on multi-channel performance.

"glittering prizes and endless compromises..."

Sony Super Fine Pitch CRT for Sale

post #40 of 45 Old 12-31-2013, 01:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 35
Wow missed this thread completely, these speakers are quiet a bargain considering what went inside, and now they are on sale too. [No affiliation with Emo!] Also S&V just published a review a few weeks ago ,and their test bench section confirmed solid output down into the mid 30's. If I was on a market for new speakers these would be on my short list for sure.

The Hun
post #41 of 45 Old 01-01-2014, 04:58 PM

I'm trying to decide between the Stealth 8 and the Stealth 6 units. I'm looking at using these as my main stereo/HT speakers in my living room (14'Wx'15'Lx8.5'H). My listening position is about 8' from the front of my speakers. I'm particularly curious about how well the mid and the tweeter units integrate in each of the two models. How well does each model handle the mid-range, imaging, transient response, timbre, etc? I've not been able to find much information comparing the overall performance of the two speakers. I read an interesting review on the Stealth 6 written by Andrew Robinson and he made some statements about why he picked these over the Stealth 8 that has me curious. I have also read reviews of the Adam A7X and A8X and the tradeoffs of the two models and wonder if they apply here. Basically, I've read that the A7X doesn't go quite as deep or as loud, but there is excellent mid-range and integration between the speakers albeit slightly smaller imaging. The A8X has great treble and goes low, but the two speakers don't quite knit together as seamlessly as the A7X speaker. I know characteristics of speakers from one company don't necessarily apply to another company, however is there a reason most companies match a 6"-6.5" woofer with their tweeters in bookshelf speakers? Finally, I'm also not against purchasing one or two subs to integrate into the system to get full-range sound, so I'm also curious how well each of these Stealth speakers integrate with good 12" SVS or Rythmik subs. I would really appreciate some input from someone who is familiar with both Stealth models and can give some insight.

Thanks in advance!
post #42 of 45 Old 01-02-2014, 05:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Guys,
I don't know if you are aware that very detailed test reports for both the Emotiva Pro Stealth 8 and 6 are available online at www.soundandvision.com under "reviews - bookshelf speakers".
Both speakers got rave reviews, especially that unusual tweeter with folded pleats that squeeze air to produce sound which initially appeared in speakers from GoldenEar Technology and now has been adopted by other manufacturers.
AFAIK, these tweeters can be crossed over as low as 3.5 Khz but personally i think that is too high a frequency to ask an eight inch driver to reproduce optimally, so i hope that in the future Emotiva will design and manufacture an amplified three-way speaker using a 4 1/2 inch driver or so to cover audio frequencies between 3.5 Khz to 150/120 Hz leaving the 8 inch woofer to handle what it is build to do best.
Marcos
post #43 of 45 Old 01-02-2014, 09:28 AM

I know the stealth 8 has twice the power of the stealth 6. Up to 8 feet, the stealth 6 is adequate IMO. My Airmotiv 5 are very convincing in a modest sized room. I would certainly not worry about tweeter-woofer integration.

Here's Ethan Winer on the difference between the Mackie 824/624. Old post about 6" vs 8" but still valid as the laws of physic didn't change. wink.gif
http://www.avsforum.com/t/855076/anyone-using-mackie-hr824s#post_10681592

post #44 of 45 Old 01-18-2014, 03:46 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilPeart View Post

cranster,
I was using the Swans M200 in my home studio - they are used in a 2 channel system so I cannot comment on multi-channel performance.

Thanks for the reply
post #45 of 45 Old 01-22-2014, 11:31 AM

I recently got these for my home studio, while they were on sale. I'm running them through an old Focusrite Saffire via my 2008 MacPro Firewire bus. I use Logic Pro as my DAW, and listen to music via iTunes. I work in this space every day, but music is a hobby; I make my living as a partner of an ad agency. So, being a responsible adult *cough*, there's a limit on how much I can spend versus the mortgage, lol. rolleyes.gif

My out of box reaction was that they do kick some serious butt. This is in a currently untreated room (waiting for my GiK Acoustics order). I have them on 36" Ultimate Support stands, which are acoustically decoupled, and filled with sand.

So: As you can see from the photos, even in the untreated, polygonal, window-filled room that is my office... with a pretty compromising placement of the speakers themselves... I get a really solid sound stage. Maybe a teeny amount of smearing for the center stage on some songs, but otherwise solid.

To my ears, they give an honest representation of what the source material sounds like, which is what a pro studio monitor is supposed to do. If it's a crappy recording, you'll hear it. A good recording, or a nice soft-synth, and you start to grin.

I personally think they can get loud, but I'm never going to sit there all day abusing my ears at the levels they could go... but for short demos? Yeah, they're hammer time, even when was standing 10 feet away from them... but not fatiguing, which is coming from someone with sensitive ears.

Oh, and they do go low... they surprised me, actually, but I didn't get the visceral feeling of air displacement, that impact, that you'd get with a 12" or larger. Compared to my 2.1 system in the living room, some tracks that I use as reference tracks were missing that "special something".

But like I said, I'm going to see how it all sounds like after I have the treatment set up, and if I feel the need, I'll get a sub to monitor the subsonics.biggrin.gif

Otherwise I'm very happy with the purchase.
Reply Latest Industry News

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page