Look Out Apple Airplay, Miracast is Here to Offer an Alternative - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 01-31-2013, 11:40 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked: 242

Say you have a video on your tablet, laptop, or smart phone and want to share it with the rest of your family on your HDTV. Be prepared to whip out the cables needed to do so. Mircast is here to offer a much simpler solution. Miracast is an enhanced version of Wifi Direct. With Miracast you don't need a router or other WiFi access points to send information. Two separate devices will connect with each other and transfer audio and video information directly between one another. For legacy devices there are Miracast certified routers (just like Apple Airplay) that will transmit the data. As of right now, there are several devices already setup to do Miracast properly. Most of these products are HDTVs from LG and Samsung. Though it is in the works to get a multitude of new devices such as smart phones, tablets and laptops certified for use as well.

This should be a useful feature for those without Apple products that want display mirroring. For a full list of approved devices already on the market check here:

Source Devices

Display Devices

Source: http://hometheater.about.com/od/hometheaterglossary/g/Miracast-Wireless-Connectivity.htm

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 01-31-2013, 12:26 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I like it, it's good to have competition. (Especially against the giant fruit)

But I currently use an apple TV myself, hooked HDMI to my Onkyo, and it works wonders! I unfortunately needed to run optical (digital) from my apple TV to a stereo converter (analog) because the Zone 2 input for the Onkyo doesn't accept a digital signal. Nor do most to all receivers.

I guess the only way for another company to break into some of Apple Tv's sales' are to target specific uses like the one I mentioned above.

As in /
More connection options -
Less Clutter -
More diverse device capability -
post #3 of 3 Old 02-12-2013, 09:27 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seegs108 View Post

Say you have a video on your tablet, laptop, or smart phone and want to share it with the rest of your family on your HDTV. Be prepared to whip out the cables needed to do so. Mircast is here to offer a much simpler solution. Miracast is an enhanced version of Wifi Direct. With Miracast you don't need a router or other WiFi access points to send information. Two separate devices will connect with each other and transfer audio and video information directly between one another. For legacy devices there are Miracast certified routers (just like Apple Airplay) that will transmit the data. As of right now, there are several devices already setup to do Miracast properly. Most of these products are HDTVs from LG and Samsung. Though it is in the works to get a multitude of new devices such as smart phones, tablets and laptops certified for use as well.

This should be a useful feature for those without Apple products that want display mirroring. For a full list of approved devices already on the market check here:

Source Devices

Display Devices

Source: http://hometheater.about.com/od/hometheaterglossary/g/Miracast-Wireless-Connectivity.htm

I just managed to get my laptop ( Wimdows 7) to display pictures, videos (restrained to very limited content) to my DLNA certified TV. Its chunky, heavy and as I said earlier, the content that you can transfer is very limited. Miracast is going to make DLNA technology obsolete IMHO and real fast. Damn, I just bought a new Panny TV with all the bells and whistles and maybe i should have held out for TV that had Miracast. I am hoping that Miracast can be added with a firmware upgrade. Miracast have no comment regarding the possibility at this time. I hear that 2 of Panny's latest blu-ray players will have Miracast when they are released this month according to Panny. No further devices will not be purchased by me unless they have this feature.

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/easy-to-use-multi-vendor-wireless-display-has-arrived-wi-fi-alliance-launches-wi-fi-certified-miracast-170295746.html

Montreal
Reply Latest Industry News

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page