New from Crown: 'DCi' DriveCore Install Series amplifiers - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 02-04-2013, 06:58 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Writer @ AVS

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1102 Post(s)
Liked: 2261
One key to outstanding home theater sound is proper amplification. Power is how you bring a movie soundtrack to life. Even though they are aimed at the pro market, Crown offers a collection of new amps - the DCi series - that look to be perfect for the job.

Achieving THX reference levels can be a challenge for even the mightiest AVRs. Advanced systems that use dedicated processors require external amplification. To that end, Crown offers a series of highly flexible, powerful multi-channel amplifiers. Available in two flavors - 'Network' which features DSP including limiters, EQ and mixing... and 'Analog' because there is no integrated DSP capability. With either option, the new line features a number of configurations to best match the intended application. The DCi Network and Analog lines both come in 2/4/8 channel models rated at 300 and 600 watts/channel, for a grand total of twelve new models.

The new amps boast high efficiency - over 90% - and low power consumption on standby - under 1 watt. An optional auto-sleep mode turns the amp off if no signal is received for 30 minutes.

At the top of the line is the 8-channel, 600-watt DCi 8/600. Let's use it as an example: The DCi series features bridgeable channel pairs, so configuring a single amplifier to run a 7.1 system couldn't be easier - bridge one channel pair for 1200 watts of power and run the subwoofer(s) off that channel, the rest of the channels get 600 watts of power each (or 300 watts at 8 ohms). That should be enough power to get levels up to THX reference, even in a large HT. Don't need to power a sub? Then you're good to go for amplifying a 9.2 system. Want a souped-up 5.1 rig? Bridge three channel pairs and run LCR off of them (1200 watts/channel), and run the surrounds off the last channel pair.

A headline feature of these new amplifiers is switchable 70/100 volt operation with 1.4/2.0 volt input sensitivity, which can be selected on a per-channel basis. All the models share the same chassis and weigh less that 30 lbs. Availability is Spring 2013 and Crown offers a 3-year, fully transferable warranty on all the new models. The new DCi is a direct replacement for Crown's CTs series so even though pricing has not been announced, it should be in the same range.

http://www.crownaudio.com/usa/installed-sound/drivecore-install-series.html
http://www.crownaudio.com/usa/installed-sound/drivecore-install-series-network.html
Quote:
“In introducing the DCi Series we had to exceed the benchmarks set by our acclaimed CTs Series, which has established itself as the de facto amplifier standard for installed sound applications,” said Daniel Saenz, business segment manager, install sound, Crown. “It was no easy task, but our new DCi Series offers an entirely new level of unsurpassed performance that will be appreciated by audio professionals worldwide.”
http://www.audioprointernational.com/new-gear/read/crown-unveils-dci-series-power-amplifiers/05592
Quote:
PRODUCT OVERVIEW

The DriveCore Install series represent the latest in amplifier technology. Based on proprietary and patented Harman DriveCore technology, these amplifiers are the next generation of PWM technology using cutting-edge Class D amplifier topologies.

The DriveCore Install series includes:

100Vrms Direct Drive Operation that is critical in running long speaker runs over smaller wire
Bridgeable Channel Pairs--even in 100 Vrms operation
Next generation Power Factor Corrected Universal Power Supply for maximum efficiency across a variety of voltages
Power saving features to minimize the end users power consumption as much as possible

Install Network amplifiers include:

Network Monitoring and Control via Audio Architect
BLU-Link Digital Audio Transport
Analog Inputs
Programmable GPIO's
Digital Signal Processing

source

Find out more about Mark Henninger at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 02-04-2013, 07:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 31
I love Crown amplifiers and all their older equipment, too.
I was first introduced to Crown, when I worked in a recording studio, back in 1971-1972. The boss was a Crown distributor.
We all cried when their factory burned down, and cheered when they got things back up and running.

Ken English, Sr. Engineer, KSL-TV.
"The postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent the Company positions, strategies or opinions."
post #3 of 13 Old 09-15-2013, 12:12 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Has anyone had any experience with these amps? I just placed an order for a DCi 8|600 N
post #4 of 13 Old 10-02-2013, 05:01 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ad25001 View Post

Has anyone had any experience with these amps? I just placed an order for a DCi 8|600 N
Have you received the amp yet? Whats your impression? I currently have 3 CTs1200 and 2 CTs2000 in my theater and I could replace all 5 amps with 2 of the new DCi's and have even more power for the subs by bridging one DCi. So they are very interesting for me.

JBL ScreenArray Cinema | 9.4 Surround | 136" Scope
post #5 of 13 Old 03-29-2014, 04:16 PM
wse
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked: 334
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonasHansen View Post

Have you received the amp yet? Whats your impression? I currently have 3 CTs1200 and 2 CTs2000 in my theater and I could replace all 5 amps with 2 of the new DCi's and have even more power for the subs by bridging one DCi. So they are very interesting for me.

How do they sound?

Where can I buy them

http://www.crownaudio.com/media/wysiwyg/DCi/DCi_DataSheet_101113_int.pdf

My humble Cinema
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 13 Old 03-31-2014, 04:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wse View Post

How do they sound?

Where can I buy them

http://www.crownaudio.com/media/wysiwyg/DCi/DCi_DataSheet_101113_int.pdf
I can only speak for the CTs series and they sound great. Have not heard the DCi series yet but I am still curious.

It looks like you can get them at Performance Audio.

post #7 of 13 Old 03-31-2014, 09:51 PM
wse
AVS Special Member

They have no XLR AND speaker connections?

My humble Cinema
post #8 of 13 Old 04-01-2014, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wse View Post

They have no XLR AND speaker connections?
They do indeed have speaker connections (Just not the gold plated audiophile voodoo connections). You are right about XLR though. They use another balanced connection-type.

post #9 of 13 Old 04-01-2014, 12:38 PM
wse
AVS Special Member

Quote:

They do indeed have speaker connections (Just not the gold plated audiophile voodoo connections). You are right about XLR though. They use another balanced connection-type.

No need to get on your horse rolleyes.gif

My humble Cinema
post #10 of 13 Old 04-17-2014, 11:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 62
What's the price for these DCi amps? Will it be as cheap as the XLS series? I'm drooling at the 2|300 and 8|300 biggrin.gif
http://www.crownaudio.com/usa/drivecore-install-series.html

Is 34db amp gain too much for home installation? The SNR is much higher than XLS series. With the high amp gain and used with high sensitivity speakers, I hope there will be no hiss issue.

What say you?
post #11 of 13 Old 04-17-2014, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylinestar View Post

What's the price for these DCi amps? Will it be as cheap as the XLS series? I'm drooling at the 2|300 and 8|300 biggrin.gif
http://www.crownaudio.com/usa/drivecore-install-series.html

Is 34db amp gain too much for home installation? The SNR is much higher than XLS series. With the high amp gain and used with high sensitivity speakers, I hope there will be no hiss issue.

What say you?
In Europe where I live, the 2-channel DCi (2x600) is almost three times as expensive as the XLS2500. So unfortunately not as cheap as the XLS.

post #12 of 13 Old 04-20-2014, 07:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:

In Europe where I live, the 2-channel DCi (2x600) is almost three times as expensive as the XLS2500. So unfortunately not as cheap as the XLS.
Are you looking at the network version?
post #13 of 13 Old 09-17-2014, 08:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked: 58
This things rocked at cedia ATMOS DCI demo fed with blu-link-it was a synthesis platform .

Reply Latest Industry News

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page