Redbox Instant: Xbox 360 Exclusive - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 02-06-2013, 03:43 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Writer @ AVS

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1785 Post(s)
Liked: 3094
Thanks to a partnership with telecom giant Verizon, Redbox is bringing their movie rental service into the era of instant streaming and digital downloads. Best known for their ubiquitous DVD and Blu-ray vending machines, Redbox Instant is coming to a TV, tablet and smartphone near you.

Xbox 360 users will be able to rent and purchase movies through their console, without needing a monthly Redbox membership. The initial catalog includes 4,500 movies, but no TV shows. This capability is currently exclusive to the Xbox 360.

Monthly memberships make movies available through instant streaming. Streaming will work on a number of platforms including iOS, Android, Google TV, plus connected TV sets from LG, Samsung & Vizio. The streaming-only plan is $6/month $8/month adds 4 DVD rentals and $9 /month includes 4 Blu-ray rentals. The new services are expected to exit beta testing and enjoy a full roll-out by the end of March 2013.

Is this strategy enough to make Redbox Instant the formidable challenger some think it can be? Do Apple, Netflix and Vudu already own their respective categories: High quality streaming from Vudu, inexpensive monthly streaming from Netflix and downloadable rentals/purchases from Apple's iTunes.

Quote:
Perhaps most surprisingly, Redbox on Xbox 360 will also let users purchase and rent movies as you would through services like iTunes as well as watch streaming movies. That part of the service will be open to all users, regardless of whether or not they have an Redbox Instant subscription.
source - the verge

Find out more about Mark Henninger at www.imagicdigital.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-06-2013, 11:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I am a part of their beta testing plan and while the 4 bluray rental is enticing, their current library of streaming choices does not come close to what netflix or even amazon prime has. This will hopefully change since they are still in the initial stages and will add more choices to the streaming section.

My HT Setup
My Blu-Rays
PSN Id:blitz500

Old 02-06-2013, 11:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Hey Daman, do you know if you need to have a Silver/Gold membership with Xbox in order to have access to Redbox on-line streaming service?

Get all your A/V News at: AVS Latest News

Like AVS Forum on Facebook
Follow AVS Forums on Twitter

AVSForum
Bringing the AV Community Together
Old 02-06-2013, 11:36 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnyS View Post

Hey Daman, do you know if you need to have a Silver/Gold membership with Xbox in order to have access to Redbox on-line streaming service?

I would assume GOLD just like the other streaming services.

http://www.shacknews.com/article/77715/redbox-instant-coming-exclusively-to-xbox-360

Gold membership mentioned there also
Old 02-06-2013, 11:41 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nohoch View Post

I would assume GOLD just like the other streaming services.

http://www.shacknews.com/article/77715/redbox-instant-coming-exclusively-to-xbox-360

Gold membership mentioned there also

Thanks Nohoch. I can't stand the Xbox console for that main reason. I enjoy the PS3 for Blu-Ray, Netflix and some games and I don't need to pay a yearly fee to get access to that content. I don't see why one would have to pay an additional fee over Redbox's monthly fees in order to have access to their content.

Get all your A/V News at: AVS Latest News

Like AVS Forum on Facebook
Follow AVS Forums on Twitter

AVSForum
Bringing the AV Community Together
Old 02-06-2013, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnyS View Post

Thanks Nohoch. I can't stand the Xbox console for that main reason. I enjoy the PS3 for Blu-Ray, Netflix and some games and I don't need to pay a yearly fee to get access to that content. I don't see why one would have to pay an additional fee over Redbox's monthly fees in order to have access to their content.

+1. I own both the ps3 and xbox and that fact drives me nuts. Of course people argue that you pay for a better server experience..I still think it sucks. I actually went ahead and also tried the ps3 Playstation Plus $50/year service, and it at least has a lot of perks, discounts and free downloadable games with it. If only the ps3 had HBO GO. I wonder if the redbox service will be available on Appletv as well?
Old 02-06-2013, 03:21 PM
AVS Special Member

I don't own a Xbox, but do have PS3.. hope they release an app for the PS3 soon. Meanwhile I should be able to Airplay it from Ipad to AppleTV ,though I haven't tried that yet.

My HT Setup
My Blu-Rays
PSN Id:blitz500

Old 02-06-2013, 03:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked: 427
Too bad it's only available on the lamest console. xBox Gold is a ripoff. Plus I haven't been able to get my xbox online since switching from DSL to cable internet service. Kind of strange considering my PS3, Sony blu-ray, Samsung blu-ray, Apple TV, Enphase net energy monitoring device all connect perfectly with automatic settings.

I've tried just about everything I can think of and the POS xbox cannot even find the router. mad.gif

I'll just stick with Vudu, Amazon and Apple for my streaming.

Klipsch RF-62II, RC-500, RS-400, SVS PC12+,
Def Tech SC8000
Harman Kardon AVR 1600
PS3, Apple TV, Sharp 70" Qattron
Old 02-06-2013, 03:50 PM

Liked: 10
I feel that this is a good thing. More competition should drive the release of even more streaming content to the masses. So it will be a formidable race to see which service offer titles first and who has the best quality. I only care about having 1080 video and lossless audio. Bring on the full BD experience at home. One gripe I have with Netflix is the lack of bonus content on the BD disks that come in the mail. Most of them are special RENTAL versions of the BD and do not give the end user the opportunity to watch extended or unrated versions. Boo.
Old 02-06-2013, 06:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: North of Mexico, South of Oregon, Not as far east as Vegas
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by ace1970 View Post

I feel that this is a good thing. More competition should drive the release of even more streaming content to the masses. So it will be a formidable race to see which service offer titles first and who has the best quality. I only care about having 1080 video and lossless audio. Bring on the full BD experience at home. One gripe I have with Netflix is the lack of bonus content on the BD disks that come in the mail. Most of them are special RENTAL versions of the BD and do not give the end user the opportunity to watch extended or unrated versions. Boo.
Not a good thing, for competition means more bidding wars for content, which means higher prices,streaming is expensive to do. In the long run your rates will go up and there will be fewer providers. Being Verizon has 65 percent of this venture if they don,t see profit within 3 years they'll pull the plug.
occasio likes this.

"Bring out yer dead!".."Wait I'm not dead yet!"..(Sound Austrian here) "WRONG !!" (You know what happens next..)
Old 02-06-2013, 07:17 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ace1970 View Post

I can't believe so many of you have no clue about rental discs. It is not a Netflix issue. Rental discs no matter if you get them from Redbox, Blockbuster, or Netlfix do not include extras!!! You need to buy the retail disc for this feature. It has always been this way for quite awhile now. Lionsgate and some other companies are now leaving the lossless audio off major rental discs as well. It is cheaper for them to just include the lossy track instead of the full blown lossless audio. It sucks, but that is the way it is going now. Movie studios are about making the money and they do not make much at all on the rental discs.
Old 02-06-2013, 08:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenthplanet View Post

Not a good thing, for competition means more bidding wars for content, which means higher prices,streaming is expensive to do. In the long run your rates will go up and there will be fewer providers. Being Verizon has 65 percent of this venture if they don,t see profit within 3 years they'll pull the plug.

Also a bad thing because it will lead to exclusives and splinter the market.

------------------------------------
Occasio Gee
www.occasiogee.com

Old 02-06-2013, 09:28 PM

Liked: 10
That is the whole point of this topic though. After all it isn't about us. It is about pleasing the basic consumer with a shiny new smart tv and a soundbar who has no clue.

And for the record. I have only noticed the lack of extras and audio quality from netflix within the last 12-18 months. Before that it was awesome.

Competition is healthy, let it be.
Old 02-06-2013, 11:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked: 329
.Imho Xbox have a more user friendly dashboard and apps are very easy to navigate.

also will be nice to see this on roku.

Panasonic 65VT60 / Marantz SR7005 / Marantz UD7007 /2 PSA XS30 /Revel Performa3 F206 / Revel Performa3 C205 / Revel Surrounds/Sonos Connect/ Roku 3 / Amazon Fire tv / Xbox One / HTPC / Darbee 5000.
Old 02-07-2013, 01:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: North of Mexico, South of Oregon, Not as far east as Vegas
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by occasio View Post

Also a bad thing because it will lead to exclusives and splinter the market.
True, it's already starting to happen.

"Bring out yer dead!".."Wait I'm not dead yet!"..(Sound Austrian here) "WRONG !!" (You know what happens next..)
Old 02-07-2013, 02:02 PM

Wow a lot of people hating on the Xbox. I hope they know it's the #1 selling console for a reason. At one time I had all 3 Xbox, PS3 and Wii. I sold the PS3 & Wii a while back. The Xbox is far more fluid with its dashboard. I for 1 am happy and excited about Redbox coming to the Xbox. Between Netflix, Hulu, Amazon and HBOgo I hardly game anymore. Now all Xbox needs is NFL Sunday Ticket. I don't know how Sony has this locked down when most PS3 owners say this app is a nightmare on the PS3. I know Microsoft would do it right like everything else on the Xbox. Plus I feel a lot safer with my info with Microsoft than Sony.
chrisjmccord likes this.
Old 02-07-2013, 02:16 PM

Those who are bashing XBOX are obviously not using it for what it was meant for, GAMING...its hands down the best console for gaming and the XBOX LIVE online gaming is the best no question.

Sony's attempt at an online gaming universe pales in comparison.

There is a reason Halo and COD are such big gaming titles, its the XBOX LIVE and those "ripoff" Gold Memberships. If you're a gamer, you understand this, and all the other stuff, Netflix, Redbox, HuLu, Amazon, whatever thats all just icing on the cake.

Netflix as far as a UX is best on the AppleTV second is the XBOX, both apps were designe well and look great, and the movies stream nicely too.
Old 02-07-2013, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbonenga View Post

Wow a lot of people hating on the Xbox. I hope they know it's the #1 selling console for a reason. At one time I had all 3 Xbox, PS3 and Wii. I sold the PS3 & Wii a while back. The Xbox is far more fluid with its dashboard. I for 1 am happy and excited about Redbox coming to the Xbox. Between Netflix, Hulu, Amazon and HBOgo I hardly game anymore. Now all Xbox needs is NFL Sunday Ticket. I don't know how Sony has this locked down when most PS3 owners say this app is a nightmare on the PS3. I know Microsoft would do it right like everything else on the Xbox. Plus I feel a lot safer with my info with Microsoft than Sony.

100% agree.
Old 02-07-2013, 09:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 18
100% disagree. I have an xbox 360 and a year later i bought tne ps3. Netflix looks way better on the ps3 than on 360. Second that online gaming is the same on both consoles. I get lots of lags when playing mw2 on xbox. Bought the same game on ps3 and was awesome. Third; now Netflix supports Super HD for PS3 not for 360 and believe me now looks even more better than before. Bought Halo Reach and now Halo4. Omg what a sh!t. The only xbox game that is pretty good is Gears of War. I have Skyrim on both consoles and the audio on the Ps3 is way way better.
Old 02-08-2013, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by javygonx View Post

100% disagree. I have an xbox 360 and a year later i bought tne ps3. Netflix looks way better on the ps3 than on 360. Second that online gaming is the same on both consoles. I get lots of lags when playing mw2 on xbox. Bought the same game on ps3 and was awesome. Third; now Netflix supports Super HD for PS3 not for 360 and believe me now looks even more better than before. Bought Halo Reach and now Halo4. Omg what a sh!t. The only xbox game that is pretty good is Gears of War. I have Skyrim on both consoles and the audio on the Ps3 is way way better.

Netflix SuperHD might be supported on the PS3 and not XBOX (yet) but the point is moot if your ISP isn't on the list to get SuperHD, and I've yet to find a mainstream ISP that has it, so bragging about SuperHD on PS3 means nothing. I wasn't comparing Netflix on XBOX to PS3 anyway, but more a comparison to the Netflix apps built into the TV and BluRay player software. I'm sure Netflix looks good on both PS3 and XBOX and AppleTV as they have a more robust application than the SmartHUBs of Samsung etc...

And if you want to compare the sheer number of XBOX Live users to PS3 then we can, its obvious you're in a minority of people who prefer PS3 online gaming over XBOX Live. There isn't a single game on PS3 that can touch the amount of players that own and play the Halo series.
Old 02-08-2013, 08:16 AM
Advanced Member

I can see online players on Halo 4 vs Online Players on Blackops 2 for PS3 and..... there are more total of players on Blackops 2 on PS3 than Halo4. But what you said is true; Netflix is more robust on ps3/xbox/appletv than built in bluray players.... A;so noticed that on Halo4 takes lots of time to start every match; I can't stand that! 2-3 minutes of waiting every time match ends and starts another is not acceptable!... Im lucky that my ISP provider supports SuperHD for Netflix. And if you haven't tried I have to say its a hundred times better than regular HD streaming from Netflix. Im neutral on this xbox vs ps3; but all around for me the ps3 is a better console.
Old 02-08-2013, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by javygonx View Post

I can see online players on Halo 4 vs Online Players on Blackops 2 for PS3 and..... there are more total of players on Blackops 2 on PS3 than Halo4. But what you said is true; Netflix is more robust on ps3/xbox/appletv than built in bluray players.... A;so noticed that on Halo4 takes lots of time to start every match; I can't stand that! 2-3 minutes of waiting every time match ends and starts another is not acceptable!... Im lucky that my ISP provider supports SuperHD for Netflix. And if you haven't tried I have to say its a hundred times better than regular HD streaming from Netflix. Im neutral on this xbox vs ps3; but all around for me the ps3 is a better console.

Yeah PS3 is a better "all around" console, because it has a BluRay built in and some nice apps and such but for online gaming, to me, the XBOX Live is just way more mature and better. The newer XBOX console was quite an upgrade to the original one, and did well to catch up to the PS3 from a console point of view, but no BluRay still makes it a bit less of a console to most.

I'd venture to guess the reason you have to wait in Halo4 is the amount of players trying to get into the games vs. PS3 even though you're saying you see more total players, something doesn't add up there.
There is no way Sonys network online gaming system is as good as XBOX Live, they just haven't had the same amount of time to mature it, and its Microsoft vs. Sony. Computers and networks vs. TVs and electronics...it just goes without saying that XBOX is going to have the more robust networking system.

This time of day the amount of players on Halo isn't half as much as it is around the "prime time" hours in the evening. I'd be curious to see the amount of players online with BlackOps 2 on both systems at the same time as well. XBOX Live didn't go down for weeks either like PS3's network did, that was a pretty bad deal this past summer.

If your ISP supports SuperHD, you must be a more rural area, as I think its put out in those ISPs to help compete with the mainstream ones. I could be wrong there. I know its a hundred times better than Netflixs HD streaming at only 720p, SuperHD is more like 1080p right?
Old 02-08-2013, 09:29 AM

Lets just be glad we aren't big time video game collectors like this person...

Check This Out
Old 02-08-2013, 12:35 PM
Advanced Member

YEahl Super HD is more likely 1080p; you can notice the difference; and thats good. 3D Streaming is also very impressive if you compared with an original 3D Bluray movie. They have few movies and documentaries in 3D and are pretty awesome...PSN down for a week was devastated!.... I took a chance that week and play Gears of War! smile.gif and Blackops 1 for 360... Lets hope if the newer 360 console has bluray; and at least a better control.. For me is quite heavy and after one hour of playing is uncomfortable; even though I have big hands; never happened to me on the PS3 in which is lighter.
Old 02-08-2013, 06:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked: 329
well for me the xbox or ps3 apps experience is way better than any other set top box ,blue ray player or smart tv.

but I still found xbox more easy to navigate apps are right in front of you ready to press and go.

Panasonic 65VT60 / Marantz SR7005 / Marantz UD7007 /2 PSA XS30 /Revel Performa3 F206 / Revel Performa3 C205 / Revel Surrounds/Sonos Connect/ Roku 3 / Amazon Fire tv / Xbox One / HTPC / Darbee 5000.
Old 02-09-2013, 01:20 PM

Yeah the Netflix experience on Samsungs SmartHUB TV and BluRay is just awful, especially if you've already used the XBOX/PS3/AppleTV versions, again I think its due to the amount or size of the application written for that particular device, I guess the TVs/BluRays are not as robust so the apps can't be either?

I haven't streamed a 1080P or 3D from Netflix, would love that opportunity, but not sure how soon I can get there?
Old 02-10-2013, 07:32 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Writer @ AVS

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 1785 Post(s)
Liked: 3094
On my PC, I find Netflix to be rather disappointing. There's nothing high definition about it, most streams are continuously suffering from compression artifacts. The same goes for the app on my TV. The one time I witnessed great quality from netflix was through my PlayStation 3, which I no longer own. The first 1080p titles offered by Netflix were through the PS3 and looked great, but apparently were not of the same quality as the new super HD offering. I wonder what the quality of RedBox instant is going to be like. It seems like they're more interested in competing on price rather than quality or selection, but you never know.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisjmccord View Post

Yeah the Netflix experience on Samsungs SmartHUB TV and BluRay is just awful, especially if you've already used the XBOX/PS3/AppleTV versions, again I think its due to the amount or size of the application written for that particular device, I guess the TVs/BluRays are not as robust so the apps can't be either?

I haven't streamed a 1080P or 3D from Netflix, would love that opportunity, but not sure how soon I can get there?

Find out more about Mark Henninger at www.imagicdigital.com
Old 02-11-2013, 10:09 AM
Advanced Member

Guys, is this app available on Xbox yet? I looked for it yesterday but no luck. Maybe I missed something about the release date, if so I apologize about the stupid question