Apple gets a AMOLED Guru. Apple Television Legend continues - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 02-09-2013, 01:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 22
We have seen the specs and the fuzzy images. We have heard the rumors. But like bigfoot, and the Loch Ness monster, Apple Television remains a elusive legend. (By the way, I call it Apple Television, because there is already an Apple TV)

A recent hire for Apple may give us a glimpse of the future, or just may be another element to Cupertino's mysterious Apple Television.
Quote:
The OLED Association is reporting that Cupertino has hired James (Jueng-Gil) Lee, who's spent time working on displays for LG, Samsung, and Cambridge Display Technology.

Now this is not a slam dunk for an upcoming television. Apple has displays in just about everything it makes. And those displays are made by 3rd parties, so it could be Apple may be looking to start manufacturing these displays themselves. Either way, this could be a real boon for the OLED technology.
Quote:
Lee's area of expertise would seem to indicate that Apple is curious about OLED displays — a technology it hasn't embraced thus far.

While Apple lovers get excited a true Apple set may be coming, Apple haters will greet the news with a shrug of the shoulders. Like them or not, Apple's next 12 months will be very interesting. We will get to see if Apple can make that leap into living room, or will they stay in their comfort zone. Just get ready for more rumors, photos and who knows, maybe we will get so fuzzy video of a man in a gorilla suit, carrying what appears to be an Apple Television.

That would be news! Tell us what you think about Apple's future and the television rumors.

http://www.theverge.com/2013/2/8/3968896/apple-reportedly-hires-oled-expert-away-from-lg

John Burton

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 02-09-2013, 05:03 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by IfixitBIG View Post

We have seen the specs and the fuzzy images. We have heard the rumors. But like bigfoot, and the Loch Ness monster, Apple Television remains a elusive legend. (By the way, I call it Apple Television, because there is already an Apple TV)

A recent hire for Apple may give us a glimpse of the future, or just may be another element to Cupertino's mysterious Apple Television.
Now this is not a slam dunk for an upcoming television. Apple has displays in just about everything it makes. And those displays are made by 3rd parties, so it could be Apple may be looking to start manufacturing these displays themselves. Either way, this could be a real boon for the OLED technology.
While Apple lovers get excited a true Apple set may be coming, Apple haters will greet the news with a shrug of the shoulders. Like them or not, Apple's next 12 months will be very interesting. We will get to see if Apple can make that leap into living room, or will they stay in their comfort zone. Just get ready for more rumors, photos and who knows, maybe we will get so fuzzy video of a man in a gorilla suit, carrying what appears to be an Apple Television.

That would be news! Tell us what you think about Apple's future and the television rumors.

http://www.theverge.com/2013/2/8/3968896/apple-reportedly-hires-oled-expert-away-from-lg
Very interesting development indeed
post #3 of 9 Old 02-10-2013, 10:19 AM
Senior Writer @ AVS

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1707 Post(s)
Liked: 3047
My guess is that Apple's interest lies in ever-thinner displays for their current product line. With major manufacturers getting out of the TV business, it is hard to imagine Apple jumping into a low margin, highly competitive arena such as television sets. There are real issues Apple needs to address with their current display technology, like how fragile they are. A different rumor has them coming out with a wristwatch. Everyone wants to see Apple come out with a groundbreaking new product, I am not optimistic that we will see a TV from Apple anytime soon. Perhaps a huge touch screen iMac. Your guess is as good as mine is.

Just look here: http://www.engadget.com/2013/02/10/nyt-apple-experimenting-with-wrist-worn-ios-devices-using-curved-glass/

Find out more about Mark Henninger at www.imagicdigital.com
post #4 of 9 Old 02-10-2013, 06:18 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 22
I'm in the "no television" camp. Apple getting into the TV business just doesn't make sense. Changing how you interface with your television, that makes sense.

John Burton

post #5 of 9 Old 02-11-2013, 09:24 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 50
I am curious to see the "iTV" develop. I am a strong Apple supporter and love their simplicity. Their products do carry a hefty price, but the build quality is exceptional. If an "iTV" does surface, I can’t say I will be able to afford one, but I will certainly keep it in mind. It’s rare to find manufacturers such as Apple that offer a product with such high build quality. TV’s today are like disposable cameras; they brake and you throw them away.

Apple has always tried to excel in technologies and in convenience. As many of you have mentioned, the flat panel market is full of fierce competition with low margins. For Apple to be entering in at such a time, it should be interesting to see what they can bring to the table.

Get all your A/V News at: AVS Latest News

Like AVS Forum on Facebook
Follow AVS Forums on Twitter

AVSForum
Bringing the AV Community Together
post #6 of 9 Old 02-11-2013, 09:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked: 265
^^^^^ first of all I don't think it will ever be called iTV because of a British Network issue and two, my guess is for a more robust and feature-rich Apple TV 3+ STB device instead of a flat panel. However, I wouldn't rule out a flat panel altogether.
post #7 of 9 Old 02-11-2013, 10:02 AM
Senior Writer @ AVS

Nationwide, stock of Apple TV generation 3 units has dwindled to next to nothing. WIll the new box, spotted getting government approval, have more features? Apparently not.

For the moment, the wristwatch is the talk of the town. You never know though. Giant iPad = awesome TV
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post

^^^^^ first of all I don't think it will ever be called iTV because of a British Network issue and two, my guess is for a more robust and feature-rich Apple TV 3+ STB device instead of a flat panel. However, I wouldn't rule out a flat panel altogether.

post #8 of 9 Old 02-11-2013, 10:18 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 50
Quote:

^^^^^ first of all I don't think it will ever be called iTV because of a British Network issue.

Your absolutely right, I've been reading too many rumors all using that term...lol

Get all your A/V News at: AVS Latest News

Like AVS Forum on Facebook
Follow AVS Forums on Twitter

AVSForum
Bringing the AV Community Together
post #9 of 9 Old 02-11-2013, 11:37 AM
Senior Writer @ AVS

Why not? In Brazil the iPhone is an Android. iTV is the most logical name, it's what Apple would use, were such a product to exist.
Quote:

Reply Latest Industry News

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page