Project Ayr: Home Theater PC disguised as Heater - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 15 Old 02-11-2013, 06:59 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Writer @ AVS

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 617 Post(s)
Liked: 1666
Do you have a need for a home theater PC that blends into your tasteful, modern living room decor by pretending it is a space heater? PC designer Jeffrey Stephenson offers exactly that with Project Ayr. The designer of high-end, high design wooden PC cases presents a compact fanless HTPC that is disguised as a portable ceramic heater that is much an expression of Scandinavian design as it is functional. It is a very nice looking space heater, for what it is worth. More importantly, the Intel i3 powered unit is small and silent, thanks to the giant heat sink that makes up the bulk of the unit. Perfect for a home theater when all you need from a PC is an Intel i3 CPU, 8 gigs of RAM, some connectivity and an HDMI output.

Unfortunately, if you want one, you are out of luck. The designer says "It is not a product or ever will be."

Quote:
While able to handily perform most media chores (and generate a little heat!), it stays in keeping with his other tasteful, retro designs for those of you who eschew Thermaltake Level 10-type PC cases.
source: engadget

Find out more about Mark Henninger at www.imagicdigital.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 02-11-2013, 01:56 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
The standard HTPC case (if such a thing exists) looks just like every other component. To anybody that isn't really looking for it, it looks like just another amplifier or DVR.

So with this handy product, instead of looking like somebody with a totally normal AV center, you can look like somebody that has a poorly balanced HVAC system and had to band-aid it with a portable space heater? What a great idea!

Maybe I'm just not the intended market. I'll concede that it's at least a very good looking space heater, as far as space heaters go.
imagic likes this.

I'm not into "thumbs upping" or "liking". Don't take it personally. Just assume that I found your post helpful. Unless it wasn't.
post #3 of 15 Old 02-11-2013, 04:10 PM

Liked: 15
I find it ironic that the last thing we want is our AV equipment to be doing is overheating, yet we design them to look like heaters.

Whats wrong with a black square box thats the same look and feel as all the other AV equipment in out cabinets. Or am I just old fashioned...
post #4 of 15 Old 02-11-2013, 04:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 118
The 8 bit NES case is still the coolest htpc in disguise.

The above post is 100% medically accurate

31 Days of Horror:

post #5 of 15 Old 02-11-2013, 09:01 PM

Liked: 16
^^^
Its stuff like that that makes me proud to be a human being. People are so creative! smile.gif
post #6 of 15 Old 02-12-2013, 09:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitviper33 View Post

The standard HTPC case (if such a thing exists) looks just like every other component. To anybody that isn't really looking for it, it looks like just another amplifier or DVR.

So with this handy product, instead of looking like somebody with a totally normal AV center, you can look like somebody that has a poorly balanced HVAC system and had to band-aid it with a portable space heater? What a great idea!

Maybe I'm just not the intended market. I'll concede that it's at least a very good looking space heater, as far as space heaters go.

Depends if you are doing an equipment stand or not, some people want nothing really on the TV wall.
post #7 of 15 Old 02-12-2013, 09:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffkro View Post

Depends if you are doing an equipment stand or not, some people want nothing really on the TV wall.

You know if he used a overclocked pentium 4 it would be a functional heater. smile.gif
post #8 of 15 Old 02-12-2013, 10:33 AM

Liked: 12
I'd buy one if it was functional as a heater too!

Not really. I'd rather have it look like another receiver or just be sleek and black and blend into the cabinet.
post #9 of 15 Old 02-14-2013, 04:55 PM

Liked: 11
I'm just a hobbyist who challenged myself to get Intel HD4000 graphics out of a dead silent computer system. It is not a product or ever will be. So all you smug sh!theads form a single line to kiss my a$$.
imagic likes this.
post #10 of 15 Old 02-15-2013, 10:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipperyskip View Post

I'm just a hobbyist who challenged myself to get Intel HD4000 graphics out of a dead silent computer system. It is not a product or ever will be. So all you smug sh!theads form a single line to kiss my a$$.

Yup, there are always naysayers. I think its a pretty cool piece of industrial art, more creative than any of our systems.

Possibly it would have made more sense to mount it so the heatsink fins were vertical so the heat it gives off would naturally draft air up and out of the heatsink.
post #11 of 15 Old 02-17-2013, 08:26 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 367
Personally, while I'm not keen on it looking like a heater, I do appreciate the craftmanship. It's always nice to see the clever things people do with their components. Art is what seperates us from the apes.

For my tastes, I'd want one looking like an old-timey radio or something like that. That would be really cool. Either that, or maybe something inside Robbie the Robot or Gort or even Johnny Five (AKA: Wall-E).
post #12 of 15 Old 02-17-2013, 08:51 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Writer @ AVS

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 617 Post(s)
Liked: 1666
In that case, check out Slipperyskip's other post here on AVS: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1093742/ingraham-htpc#post_15248011

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkTV View Post

Personally, while I'm not keen on it looking like a heater, I do appreciate the craftmanship. It's always nice to see the clever things people do with their components. Art is what seperates us from the apes.

For my tastes, I'd want one looking like an old-timey radio or something like that. That would be really cool. Either that, or maybe something inside Robbie the Robot or Gort or even Johnny Five (AKA: Wall-E).

Find out more about Mark Henninger at www.imagicdigital.com
post #13 of 15 Old 02-17-2013, 08:58 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 367
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post

In that case, check out Slipperyskip's other post here on AVS: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1093742/ingraham-htpc#post_15248011

That's gorgeous.

About the only way I can think of to improve on that would be some dove-tailing around the outside corners, which would make it nearly a match for a radio my grandfather had - which sat on top of an art deco style dresser trimmed out the same way. He liked the radio so much, he actually built the dresser to match it. It sat up there for years after it stopped working.

I seem to remember his had a light-up dial where the shiny disc is on the reproduction. Obviously, that's a lot more work to pull off well. You'd turn it on and watch it slowly come to life as the dial light ramped up. It was almost like the anticipation you get from raising a theater curtain.
post #14 of 15 Old 02-20-2013, 02:54 PM

Liked: 11
Are there any heaters disguised as a PC ?
post #15 of 15 Old 02-21-2013, 10:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by dandan123 View Post

Are there any heaters disguised as a PC ?

yeah its called any gaming or rendering rig lol I have my Heater vents shut off and my main rig keeps my room toasty warm smile.gif

Reply Latest Industry News

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page