Sony extends Starz deal through 2021 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 02-11-2013, 07:34 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Writer @ AVS

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 732 Post(s)
Liked: 1753
Don't expect to stream Sony Pictures Entertainment branded films through Netflix anytime soon. Sony has extended their contract with Starz for five additional years, granting Starz exclusive pay TV rights to broadcast Sony's movies. The deal between the two companies was set to expire in 2016. With the extension, Netflix customers will be restricted to disc-based viewing of Sony titles. The popularity of Blu-ray is bound to decrease going forward, effectively shutting Netflix out of the Sony catalog. Is this a good move on Sony's behalf, considering that Disney was willing to cut a deal with Netflix?
Quote:
"Sony Pictures films from Columbia Pictures, Sony Pictures Classics, TriStar, and Screen Gems will remain first-run exclusive to Starz-included cable packages through 2021, Sony Pictures and Starz announced this morning. The deal was previously set to expire with the closing of 2016's box office, but Sony and Starz apparently were cozy enough to ink another five years on the contract." source: engadget

Find out more about Mark Henninger at www.imagicdigital.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 02-11-2013, 01:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 85
I wonder how much Starz had to overpay to keep Sony? Losing Sony after losing Disney would have been disasterous.
post #3 of 14 Old 02-11-2013, 05:58 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
As a STARZ subscriber I say good for STARZ. I am, however, also a Netflix customer; one might wonder when Netflix streaming will run $19.99 a month. Its only a matter of time before that rate does go up. Afterall, how long has it been since any premium service on Directv/Dish Network/Cable Co has been that low.

Just my 2¢

Ed

Denon AVR-X4000, Panasonic TCP-55VT50, OPPO BDP-103, DirecTV HR44-700, Apple TV
Polk Audio RTi-A9, RTi-A7, RTi-A3, CSi-A6 & DSW PRO 660
post #4 of 14 Old 02-12-2013, 05:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 85
I fully expect Netflix to be $9.99 by 2016 when the Disney deal fully kicks in. While I sure don't want to pay more money, even at that price, it's still a deal compared to premium channel packages. By the time Netflix runs $19.99 per month, HBO will be charging $30.
post #5 of 14 Old 02-12-2013, 01:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I guess I won't be watching any Sony Pictures Entertainment content, then.

I hate this kind of exclusivity maneuvering. It reminds me of the time some national band did an exclusive CD release with Best Buy two weeks ahead of anywhere else including my locally owned record store. I didn't buy that album and never bought another one of their albums again.
post #6 of 14 Old 02-12-2013, 08:07 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdanforth View Post

I guess I won't be watching any Sony Pictures Entertainment content, then.

I second that.

I don't and won't subscribe to cable. OTA HD and Netflix on HS internet is all I need. $9.99 vs exorbitant cable fees is a no brainer. And I can always get first run from iTunes If I can't wait for Netflix. Starz quality on Netflix was 480 pan and scan crap anyway.

Unbundling cable companies from the content they deliver is inevitable. Which makes Comcast's purchase of NBC/Universal more of a defensive move. Now if HBO would just put out a product I can get direct I'd be ecstatic.
post #7 of 14 Old 02-13-2013, 01:40 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 46
My cable bill is over $300 a month.

nuf said.

Dyslexics are teople poo.
post #8 of 14 Old 02-13-2013, 05:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 214
Good for Sony and good for Starz. smile.gif
post #9 of 14 Old 02-13-2013, 09:11 AM

One thing you all should consider is at some point in time is buy out merger or take over it's the way of the world.
post #10 of 14 Old 02-13-2013, 12:24 PM

Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadEd View Post

My cable bill is over $300 a month".

Insane.

Here in Canada (east anyways) we have 2 major telco's when it comes to home TV, phone (home & mobile), and internet. You don't hear about them in the United States b/c they have a government protected monopoly here at home. They are Bell - the traditional phone company, and Rogers - the traditional cable company (substitute Shaw or Cogeco depending on where you live). Consumers get brainwashed by these telco's "bundle" discounts which amount to just FIVE BUCKS off (- $5) when you add individual services together, and their advertising is utterly disgusting when they publish what might be decent package rates BUT ONLY FOR THE FIRST THREE MONTHS, WITH A 1 OR 2 YEAR CONTRACT. The advertising is criminal. Once you add the $50 or $75 activation fee, the installation fee, and whatever else you need it literally amounts to a $300 monthly bill, which is downright thievery. Yet people are so helpless because one provider is not any less inept than the other (so there's no alternative), and even though a service reseller may offer the best option for either home phone, or internet, there's this fixation with "The Bundle" that scares people away from considering. Oh no, I can't go with a better internet package with another provider because I'll lose my bundle discount from my main service provider... but that bundle is just $5 a month. Wake up people!

When I got married and moved into my new house 5 years ago I made the tough decision to abandon cable. What a blessing in disguise. The OTA we're pulling in from our antenna gives me all the major Canadian and U.S. networks I need. I get my high speed internet and home phone (land-line) from an amazing local service reseller - a company that uses the big telco's underground infrastructure to provide better/increased service at a much lower cost, with LOCAL tech/billing support - not incoherent CS agents outsourced to India. Between Netflix (more for the kids), internet TV channels, torrents and the OTA we have a pretty good setup going. The only thing I haven't missed until now was sports: the two main cable sports networks up here you can't get OTA or online without paying. Hasn't been a big deal since Toronto's local sports team have been downright PATHETIC in recent years... I can always watch a Leafs game on CBC (OTA HD) every Saturday night but last year in particular their Sat night record was atrocious so I stopped watching. This year however I'm already itching to watch the Blue Jays in action so I may end up ordering the MLB network online - I'd do that before ever giving my money to the two evil telco. UNLESS they actually wised up and allowed consumers to purchase individual HD channels instead of in packages of 20-30 channels, etc. But then I'd have to rent/buy/upgrade a tuner box or PVR... man OTA is just great!
post #11 of 14 Old 02-13-2013, 12:49 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warwick8 View Post

One thing you all should consider is at some point in time is buy out merger or take over it's the way of the world.

STARZ has just recently become an independent company that now trades on the NYSE. As part of the spinoff from Liberty Media, STARZ paid Liberty Media a 1 billion dollar special dividend. As in most of these cases, this special dividend shows p on STARZ's books as debt.

It has been reported that in recent carriage negotiations, STARZ has cut their prices by 10%.

I would not be surprised to see NetFlix make a run at STARZ in 2015 or 2016. It will all depend on what kind of streaming rights STARZ negotiated with Sony for the contract extension.
post #12 of 14 Old 02-18-2013, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SauceXX View Post

I second that.

I don't and won't subscribe to cable. OTA HD and Netflix on HS internet is all I need. $9.99 vs exorbitant cable fees is a no brainer. And I can always get first run from iTunes If I can't wait for Netflix. Starz quality on Netflix was 480 pan and scan crap anyway.

Unbundling cable companies from the content they deliver is inevitable. Which makes Comcast's purchase of NBC/Universal more of a defensive move. Now if HBO would just put out a product I can get direct I'd be ecstatic.

I agree with you 100%. I haven't had cable or DirecTV for years and don't miss them a bit---not the 500 useless channels nor the high prices for same. I do off-the-air (superb pic with minimal interference) and watch Netflix, Vudu and AmazonPrime through my Panasonic BR player.

Starz was always the worst thing on cable/satellite. I second your desire for HBO products as long as they don't include the wretched p&s and reduction to 1:78 of 2:35 films. Frankly, I'm praying that Turner Classic Movies can develop some sort of on-air or streaming availibilities as TCM is the ONE cable/satt station that I really want to receive!
post #13 of 14 Old 02-18-2013, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scJohn View Post

STARZ has just recently become an independent company that now trades on the NYSE. As part of the spinoff from Liberty Media, STARZ paid Liberty Media a 1 billion dollar special dividend. As in most of these cases, this special dividend shows p on STARZ's books as debt.

It has been reported that in recent carriage negotiations, STARZ has cut their prices by 10%.

I would not be surprised to see NetFlix make a run at STARZ in 2015 or 2016. It will all depend on what kind of streaming rights STARZ negotiated with Sony for the contract extension.

If STARZ doesn't correct the quality and butchered content of their presentations, it's just a matter of time before they disappear altogether!! And no loss to the world, for sure!
post #14 of 14 Old 02-20-2013, 06:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovenola2 View Post

If STARZ doesn't correct the quality and butchered content of their presentations, it's just a matter of time before they disappear altogether!! And no loss to the world, for sure!

Correct the quality and butchered content of their presentations? I have Starz channels on DirectvHD and I think their movies look damn good.
Reply Latest Industry News

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page