LG's 55-inch OLED TVs Ship Out Next Week - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 02-14-2013, 01:55 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 425 Post(s)
Liked: 278

LG's new 55 inch 1080p OLED HDTVs are shipping next week in Korea. At a price tag of $10,000 these aren't cheap, but to some that chunk of change isn't much. There are already over 100 pre-orders that are being fulfilled next week when these ship out. This will be the first consumer OLED at this size to be available for purchase from any current manufacturer. LG has an optimistic plan laid out for themselves. In a press conference, the company announced it is on track to sell an extra 15% of HDTV's in 2013 compared to the previous year. Without any competition from Samsung or Panasonic, LG has a distinct lead in the large panel OLED market. LG does plan to sell this unit in the US in March of this year. The price tag for us will be $11,999 when it becomes available.

Now there are two "new" technologies out there. Let's hope in a couple years 4K and OLED have a marriage. If companies cannot create high yields of 4K OLED displays we may see one of these technologies die off. It's taken many years for OLED to actually come to market. It seems LG has conquered the technology at 1080p and this size. My bet is that 4K will entice more people than OLED. What do you guys think?

Source: http://www.engadget.com/2013/02/14/lg-55em9700-oled-hdtv-100-preorders/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 02-21-2013, 05:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 129
I personally am more excited for OLED than 4k. Although Sony has a 85" 4k OLED, but it is $25,000!

OLED is a new technology that will yield amazing PQ results at any size screen. To really take advantage of 4k resolution you need a screen that is at least 70" but more like 80" plus. That is where the higher resolution will actually be noticeable and worthwhile. There is also the problem of 4k content. Look how long it has taken for 1080i to become mainstream. We still don't even have widely broadcast 1080p. Will broadcasters ever get on board with 4k?...unlikely.

I think OLED is the TV technology of the future, but whether 4k resolution will come along with it on any large scale any time soon is questionable IMO. Having said that Sony plans on releasing a 55'' and 65'' 4k LED this year. Prices are expected to be around $5000 and $7000. Not bad considering, so maybe it will catch on.

I know I can't wait to see an OLED in action!
post #3 of 5 Old 03-05-2013, 07:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
* The only solution to TV manufacturers low sales problems is to cure it with 4K OLED displays> there is no other option> they can say we can make a nice 4K display> but with clumsy and inefficient LED back lighting technology, that's just a s expensive to incorporate.

OLED technology has to lead the way in the next generation of TV sets.

OLED will never fail consumers> you get the display it works %100 perfect, no ghosting, no backlight bleed through no poor color saturation, no back~light required.

OLED Manufacturers lose> Because they have a failure rate above their standards that they can't pass onto us> like they have with HDTV's in general, such as poor pixel response(not their problem) bad color management, black levels....through the yearrs they've gotten away with selling these poorly built sets and at the same time they struggled for years to improve on them, never really moving any closer to a better set.

* I own an a 60" Elite panel> and I can tell you the technology incorporated in it can only be mimic'd by other TV's> it's simply the only way to build a panel with perfect blacks( led backlight engine), excellent contrast levels(thanks to it's preicsion guided light matrix panel that guide light coherently onto the display-rather than disperse it like most displays do~Great off angle viewing(due to tight tolerances) and a high density pixel count (most display don't have an extra pixel which actually helps improve sharpness levels or at least keeps them consistent as the display gets larger.) Most large displays need to use an extra pixel to help with sharpness which falls off optically as the sets become larger, which is something no manufacturer of 60"+ sets does.

* All the above Elite technologies are slowly being incorporated by LG called nanotech which uses the same theory of dispersing light more coherently onto the panel to improve contrast levels etc. But still requires a 10th Gen Panel manufacturing facility to adhere to the strict tolerances required to built the set.

4K OLED is the solution if they want to reduce relying on smaller panel sales to make money> 4K improves pixel resolution at closer distances under 6ft, from my experience with 70" panels, it's impossible to view it properly at under 6ft and requires a seating position of at least 9-12ft to properly view the set> a viewing distance that is standard for projector viewing not wall mounted panels.

The slim design of OLED sets allow them to be wall mounted conveniently without protruding into your living space.
post #4 of 5 Old 03-05-2013, 10:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked: 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by wattheF 
I personally am more excited for OLED than 4k. Although Sony has a 85" 4k OLED, but it is $25,000!
its a 4K Edge Lit - XBR 84X900
review http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-tvs/sony-xbr-84x900/4505-6482_7-35431618.html
post #5 of 5 Old 03-06-2013, 02:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
* 4k Edge lit?

I'd spend $10,000 on a 4K OLED before I would ever purchase an 4K edge lit display.

Hope they have a museum for it.
Reply Latest Industry News

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page