Spyder4TV Improves Flat Panel Picture - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 02-14-2013, 08:08 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
VinnyS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Montreal, Canada
Posts: 598
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 50


A few weeks ago, THX introduced an app that could help improve your television picture at a basic level. While the THX app can be helpful, anyone who wishes stepping it up a notch in terms of calibration, Datacolor has introduced the Spyder4TV Home Theater Calibration System.

In this kit, users will find a colorimeter and video set-up discs for Blu-Ray, DVD –NTSC, DVD PAL and a bungee system to attach the colorimeter to the television. The kit also includes a software that needs to be installed onto a computer that receives information via USB from the colorimeter.





The Spyder4TV kit can be purchased from Amazon for $124. This system will definitely help improve your display’s image from the default settings without breaking the bank.

For more information about the Spyder4TV; visit http://spyder.datacolor.com/



Has anyone has any experience with this unit yet?

Source
Source of Images

Get all your A/V News at: AVS Latest News

Like AVS Forum on Facebook
Follow AVS Forums on Twitter

AVSForum
Bringing the AV Community Together
********************************************************
VinnyS is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 14 Old 02-16-2013, 07:58 AM
AVS Special Member
 
p5browne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Sudbury, Ontario, CANADA
Posts: 3,842
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 185
Spyder Meters have a tendency to read Red too High.
Don't know if the Bungee cables are adjustable or not, but after several years of calibrating my sets, found the Mid Point is not necessarily the Best Point to calibrate due to non-uniformity across most of todays Panels. Calman 5 has one of the Work flows that gets you to move the Meter around the Screen to find the Best Calibrating Point. Also due to the non-uniformity of the Panel, it's best to TriPod Mount the Meter to get more of an Average Reading, rather than Single Point on the Panel.
DeadEd and tbaudoin like this.
p5browne is online now  
post #3 of 14 Old 02-16-2013, 10:57 AM
Member
 
glantern30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 163
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by p5browne View Post

Spyder Meters have a tendency to read Red too High.
Don't know if the Bungee cables are adjustable or not, but after several years of calibrating my sets, found the Mid Point is not necessarily the Best Point to calibrate due to non-uniformity across most of todays Panels. Calman 5 has one of the Work flows that gets you to move the Meter around the Screen to find the Best Calibrating Point. Also due to the non-uniformity of the Panel, it's best to TriPod Mount the Meter to get more of an Average Reading, rather than Single Point on the Panel.


Thanks for ruining my dreams lmao j/k smile.gif... I just thought this sounded like a possible buy and try but after that I think I'll pass
glantern30 is offline  
post #4 of 14 Old 02-16-2013, 11:29 AM
Member
 
meddler76's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 23
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Will definitely be looking forward to what the specialists have to say about this. Thanks, P5B.
meddler76 is online now  
post #5 of 14 Old 02-16-2013, 01:36 PM
AVS Special Member
 
ThePrisoner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 2,110
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I think I would go with CalMAN 5 w/ C3 colorimeter bundle from SpectraCal which Amazon has for $149
tbaudoin likes this.

"The powerful will be ripped from their decadent nests. And cast out into the cold world that we know and endure. Courts will be convened. Spoils will be enjoyed!"

 

-Bane

ThePrisoner is offline  
post #6 of 14 Old 02-16-2013, 02:16 PM
Newbie
 
pmiking1983's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I used an older Spyder 5 or so years ago with a high end gaming LCD, it did make a noticeable improvement. The system is good and this one looks even better.
pmiking1983 is offline  
post #7 of 14 Old 02-16-2013, 06:43 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Reddig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Hays, KS
Posts: 1,628
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Curious as to how accurate it is.

JBL Pro Cinema
Reddig is online now  
post #8 of 14 Old 02-16-2013, 10:08 PM
Member
 
hybridfive's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Calgary, AB
Posts: 44
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Bought one of these a few months ago and returned it as I didn't like the picture it calibrated to. Was far too vibrant, flesh tones were saturated and not by anymeans anything close to any ISF calibrated tv I've seen before. Returned it.
hybridfive is offline  
post #9 of 14 Old 02-17-2013, 03:27 AM
Senior Member
 
DeadEd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Walnut Creek, CA
Posts: 480
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by hybridfive View Post

Bought one of these a few months ago and returned it as I didn't like the picture it calibrated to. Was far too vibrant and not by anymeans anything close to any ISF calibrated tv I've seen before. Returned it.

Thanks for the only post of someone who has tried it. I want something but I'm still looking.

Dyslexics are teople poo.
DeadEd is offline  
post #10 of 14 Old 02-17-2013, 08:16 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
NetworkTV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: CT
Posts: 15,548
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 414
I still put my money on the DVD/BD essentials discs for the inputs for my disc players and I use the test patterns I saved several years back from HDNet for my DVR.

I could probably get better results from a pro, but since I use an LCD panel in my living room instead of a well controlled home theater room, I'm not willing to get that far into it. My main goal was getting the screen out of torch mode and to give me accurate flesh tones in real world situations. The fact that I got far better than that is gravy.

For what it's worth, I used to have a Spider back in my CRT days for my computer. When I tried one out for the LCD screen I had later, I really didn't find it worked as well or as accurately. Just eyeing it produced more accurate results - but then again, I look at video levels all day at work and I've gotten to the point where I can see minor levels issues before I even look down at the video scope.
NetworkTV is offline  
post #11 of 14 Old 02-27-2013, 11:05 AM
Member
 
DongTeamSetup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Thailand
Posts: 23
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ask experts outskirts of the visual system and application software CalMAN Spyder4TV kit which is better. This program was brought in with me. No training on the picture, then I sold it. Usually they do not sell it 4-5 years ago when the price was too expensive.Training needs to be adjusted before it was to be sold to me.
DongTeamSetup is offline  
post #12 of 14 Old 02-28-2013, 07:16 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
VinnyS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Montreal, Canada
Posts: 598
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by hybridfive View Post

Bought one of these a few months ago and returned it as I didn't like the picture it calibrated to. Was far too vibrant, flesh tones were saturated and not by anymeans anything close to any ISF calibrated tv I've seen before. Returned it.

This is most definitely not a product to compare with an ISF calibration. For anyone who does not wish to get an ISF calibration for whatever reason, this can be a great solution without having the need to spend hundreds of dollars. There are many tools out there that can definitely help get your display looking better, but these smaller type systems aren't perfect. Anyone wishing to get more serious in calibration, I would strongly recommend looking for an certified ISF calibrator.

Get all your A/V News at: AVS Latest News

Like AVS Forum on Facebook
Follow AVS Forums on Twitter

AVSForum
Bringing the AV Community Together
********************************************************
VinnyS is offline  
post #13 of 14 Old 03-08-2013, 02:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
NetworkTV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: CT
Posts: 15,548
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 414
Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnyS View Post

This is most definitely not a product to compare with an ISF calibration. For anyone who does not wish to get an ISF calibration for whatever reason, this can be a great solution without having the need to spend hundreds of dollars. There are many tools out there that can definitely help get your display looking better, but these smaller type systems aren't perfect. Anyone wishing to get more serious in calibration, I would strongly recommend looking for an certified ISF calibrator.
Well, I think that's the crux of the issue:

There are far better options out there than the Spyder that don't involve paying for an ISF pro. When I used a Spyder on a flat panel, I could easily see it wasn't right. I used other tools that were less expensive to get the job done - and that's how I handled my TV later. Honestly, I could have eyed it better than using the Spyder.

The fact is, with most panels, just toning down the backlight, brighness and color levels and reducing the excess sharpness will improve the picture measurably. Beyond that, the TVs aren't too bad out of the box. Anything else is really room dependent.
NetworkTV is offline  
post #14 of 14 Old 03-10-2013, 08:30 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
VinnyS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Montreal, Canada
Posts: 598
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkTV View Post

Well, I think that's the crux of the issue:

There are far better options out there than the Spyder that don't involve paying for an ISF pro. When I used a Spyder on a flat panel, I could easily see it wasn't right. I used other tools that were less expensive to get the job done - and that's how I handled my TV later. Honestly, I could have eyed it better than using the Spyder.

The fact is, with most panels, just toning down the backlight, brighness and color levels and reducing the excess sharpness will improve the picture measurably. Beyond that, the TVs aren't too bad out of the box. Anything else is really room dependent.

Good point.

I'm glad though that there are many options available out there for anyone who wants to dabble in it. The calibration discs are ok but are all subjective. I don't want to get into a debate with subjective and objective calibration but nevertheless, it's pretty much subjective. Then you have Calman which is great, but you really need to to some research here on the forum to better understand the software etc...Then you can get an ISF calibration. Between the disc and Calman, you got the THX app which is ok and the Spyder which is also ok. You need to take both with a grain of salt.

I have to agree with you that most TVs come not bad out of the box. The one thing I really liked with the new Spyder was the interface, very easy for anyone who wants to do some basic calibrating. I guess that and the price was the only really great factor here. Otherwise stick with the discs or the Calman solution.

Get all your A/V News at: AVS Latest News

Like AVS Forum on Facebook
Follow AVS Forums on Twitter

AVSForum
Bringing the AV Community Together
********************************************************
VinnyS is offline  
Reply Latest Industry News

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off