post #91 of 100 Old 02-21-2013, 05:44 PM
T2k

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post

For the sake of argument I just took a little gamer break to see how my PC strikes me after seeing the PS4. My PC continues to look quite fantastic after the fact, so I guess what you can really say is that the PS4 is good enough to compete with a decent gaming PC but not explicitly better. It may well be the games themselves that are getting more sophisticated, and they will look equally spectacular on a PC.

Yes, I rarely have time but I still play only on PC and that was my impression - it's very nice looking, decent graphics but nothing earth-shattering. And that's exactly the reason why they won't be able to milk it for 5-7 years this time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 100 Old 02-21-2013, 05:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Hitchman View Post

Absolutely true. They see dollar signs in their eyes for PPV and downloaded stuff and locking down the content (which will back fire over time), but that will blind them to what the internet is really capable of right now (the U.S. is far behind some other developed nations). And hard drive space has increased in price, relatively speaking, than what it was before the flooding. It's not cheap for a half-way decent and robust drive with enough space for video.

But we don't want Netflix quality UHD... enthusiasts want better than that, a lot better than that! Plus manufacturers also want to be able to sell more surround processors and speakers... that will only occur if object-oriented audio is adopted. The more amps and speakers you have... the better it sounds (since it's scalable to however sophisticated the encoding and decoding software and hardware is made to be). Dolby Atmos, in its complete form right now, is almost like having 64 separately addressable speakers.

Physical media is still very much needed to push the envelope.

I doubt having object based mixing systems for consumers is going to dive consumers to buy more speakers. 5.1 7.1 and such didn't really go as planned for the mass smile.gif .

No subwoofer I've heard has been able to produce the bass I've experienced in the Corps!

Must..stop...buying...every bluray release...
post #93 of 100 Old 02-21-2013, 06:01 PM
T2k

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by pokekevin View Post

I doubt having object based mixing systems for consumers is going to dive consumers to buy more speakers. 5.1 7.1 and such didn't really go as planned for the mass smile.gif .

He's completely obsessed with Atmos et al but still missing that little fact that they are positioned/marketed for cinemas and for HT deliverables it simply provides a 5.1/7.1 downmix during post... cool.gif
post #94 of 100 Old 02-21-2013, 06:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by T2k View Post

He's completely obsessed with Atmos et al but still missing that little fact that they are positioned/marketed for cinemas and for HT deliverables it simply provides a 5.1/7.1 downmix during post... cool.gif

I thought the whole point of ATMOS was to not sell more speakers per sa...So I'm not really understanding what he means ? It would be nice though in the future to have just one mix on the BD biggrin.gif Downmix it all to your set up's needs biggrin.gif

No subwoofer I've heard has been able to produce the bass I've experienced in the Corps!

Must..stop...buying...every bluray release...
post #95 of 100 Old 02-21-2013, 07:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 461 Post(s)
Liked: 319
Quote:
Originally Posted by pokekevin View Post

I thought the whole point of ATMOS was to not sell more speakers per sa...So I'm not really understanding what he means ? It would be nice though in the future to have just one mix on the BD biggrin.gif Downmix it all to your set up's needs biggrin.gif

Object-oriented lossless audio is based on sound objects being placed on x-y-z coordinates in new mixing software via metadata. You can have 5.1, 7.1, 9.1, etc. etc. etc. speaker outputs and as long as you tell the Atmos or MDA decoder where your speakers are positioned and how many you have... it will more accurately place those sounds in the room by using height-width-depth information along with the "regular" channel line-up. It's 3D surround on steroids. If the x-y-z metadata tells the processor to place a sound in a particular speaker, it will. It's typical pan potting on a mixer board, but with three information cues instead of one.

Dolby is pushing this in the theater while DTS is pushing this for the home market and calling it Multi-Dimensional Audio (MDA).

It gives mixers and home theater owners more flexibility. Sound engineers are ga-ga over it and those who have heard demos and seen Atmos mixed movies say it is another step forward in soundtrack reproduction.

An Atmos or MDA track can be automatically down mixed to 5.1 or 7.1.

Why not embrace better audio? You're not a technology curmudgeon are you, T2k? biggrin.gif

Listen up, studios! Just say "NO" to DNR and EE!!
post #96 of 100 Old 02-22-2013, 10:18 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by T2k View Post

What are you two smoking? 4K in the cloud, stream ed?

Seriously. wake up - if anything UHD MUST come on physical media, period.

But there is no 4K physical format, nor will there be. Sony is shipping all its 4K content on HARD DRIVES. So yes, for the 4K enabled PS4, you will be DOWNLOADING 4K content, maybe not streaming due to insane bandwidth requirement, but downloading from the cloud, FOR SURE.
post #97 of 100 Old 02-22-2013, 12:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Quote:
So yes, for the 4K enabled PS4, you will be DOWNLOADING 4K content, maybe not streaming due to insane bandwidth requirement, but downloading from the cloud, FOR SURE.

If that's true (and I hope it's not), we'll only be able to hold maybe a dozen movies on our PS4 if we're lucky. Then game saves, game installs, software updates, etc. We'll run out of space in no time. I hope,then, that the PS4 can accept external hard drives. Chances are if it can, it will be proprietary ones that cost 3-4x more than the generic ones you could buy at Staples.

Sheesh, sorry if that sounded bitter. I really am looking forward to this machine even though I know I'm going to get soaked at the cash register for getting it. Then I'm going to laugh like a little school girl once I have it in my hands. Mmmmm, consumerism. smile.gif

post #98 of 100 Old 02-22-2013, 01:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flavius View Post

But there is no 4K physical format, nor will there be. Sony is shipping all its 4K content on HARD DRIVES. So yes, for the 4K enabled PS4, you will be DOWNLOADING 4K content, maybe not streaming due to insane bandwidth requirement, but downloading from the cloud, FOR SURE.

Sony was quoted as saying 4K content will initially be distributed by blu ray disc and off loaded to the 4K servers that already come with their 84" 4K UHD display. Spiderman clocked in at 54GB, so don't know if they would put it on 2 separate 50GB BD or just use a form of BDXL. Point is they will be shipping at least some 4K content to owners on blu-ray disc. They hope to go to download only, but I think they are going to find the US internet is up to speed yet and we have still have at least one generation of physical media left.

"but Sony promises that it will continue to update the server with additional content, while some new content will come in the form of Blu-ray discs sent to the customer"

http://www.theverge.com/2012/11/29/3706046/sony-first-4k-content-delivery-home-server
post #99 of 100 Old 02-22-2013, 03:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
I think (hope) the reason why Sony went with harddrives for 4K content was because HEVC/h.265 had not been finalized officially
post #100 of 100 Old 02-22-2013, 06:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flavius View Post

Do you have a source for that claim or do you just like to write like you are lord of the universe? Unless you have a solid source you do not know and no, the Sony prototype player does not count as a PS4. Also you need to bone up on the 'cloud', you do not download content from the cloud, from download servers, yes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimeran View Post

The software is what usually causes problems in PC games because are usually made to take full advantage of the current generation console before they are ported over to a PC. It's the sad truth that all PC gamers have to live with.

Yeah console games do not have software or ports instead they have magic pixie dust. What do you think the games are developed on? Consoles??? Dont make me laugh, every console game is a port and the sad truth that all console gamers have to live with buggy games. Plus you write as if you did not bother to read Sony's announcement, the PS4 is PC guts! Or do you think Sony did that just for kicks? The sad fact is developers hated the PS3 hardware and they are going to love making the games instead purely on PC hardware with PC software.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimeran 
It is true though that you cannot build a PC that can touch the performance of this for the same price it is going to be supposedly selling for...

You know the price do you? So tell us, what's the price? The simple fact is consoles have always been underpowered compared to mid-range PCs and this will always be the case no matter what bs the console companies tell you. As for price, sure if someone buys a crippled PC they can get it for around the same price, but that's pointless it's much smarter to get a PC that will last for many years.
Reply Latest Industry News

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page